FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Operational upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1904352-operational-upgrade.html)

Hamatmidim Apr 17, 2018 1:30 am

Operational upgrade

Hello all,

If anybody can recall, what was lowest booking class ticket fare (u, o, g, n, h, l, v, k, m, s, y) you ever got an operational upgrade in (i.e as a result of, for example, an economy class cabin overbooking, rather than a last minute upgrade for an upgrade-able ticket)?

Kind regards

Dovster Apr 17, 2018 1:59 am

The one and only op up I was ever given was a number of years ago when I was a lowly Silver Medallion and was flying ATL-CDG-TLV. Delta upgraded me on the ATL-CDG segment which was a very big surprise as not only was I flying on a deeply discounted fare but it wasn't even a Delta ticket -- I had bought the itinerary from Air France.

floridagal23 Apr 17, 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Hamatmidim (Post 29649843)
Hello all,

If anybody can recall, what was lowest booking class ticket fare (u, o, g, n, h, l, v, k, m, s, y) you ever got an operational upgrade in (i.e as a result of, for example, an economy class cabin overbooking, rather than a last minute upgrade for an upgrade-able ticket)?

Kind regards

Following. Is this something el al does on occasion? They very aggressively tried to downgrade me and my family (four adults, paid business class) at check in for TLV JFK last May. We checked in as pairs with different agents and each pair was given a hard sell to the point where we weren’t even sure what would happen when we boarded the plane (they kept telling us we couldn’t fly in our booked class, etc).

Houminer Apr 17, 2018 3:54 am

I got a few OpUps on LY (never on long-haul). Various booking classes, I am not sure they even take this in account.
I never got one on an award ticket but YMMV

flyerby Apr 17, 2018 7:14 am

My companion and I got an upgrade on TLV-BKK a few years ago when I was Silver.

Hamatmidim Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by floridagal23 (Post 29649966)

Following. Is this something el al does on occasion? They very aggressively tried to downgrade me and my family (four adults, paid business class) at check in for TLV JFK last May. We checked in as pairs with different agents and each pair was given a hard sell to the point where we weren’t even sure what would happen when we boarded the plane (they kept telling us we couldn’t fly in our booked class, etc).

If they are overbooked in coach they will probably upgrade passengers to C. I see it happens, say, any 5th flight on regular routes, and any 3rd flight on busy ones (TLV-LHR/CDG for example). Downgrading is the same story the other way around - they overbooked C (and there is no available seats in F) and they have to send some passengers to coach. When this happens they are usually more worried, and therefore more aggressive, because they don't enjoy pissing off business passengers.

Hamatmidim Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 29650118)
I got a few OpUps on LY (never on long-haul). Various booking classes, I am not sure they even take this in account.
I never got one on an award ticket but YMMV

Thanks Houminer. I think I've heard once that they take into consideration both the status of the client and the booking class (i.e. the tariff) of the ticket when they decide which passenger to upgrade.

Hamatmidim Apr 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29650689)
My companion and I got an upgrade on TLV-BKK a few years ago when I was Silver.

Was the fare of your TLV-BKK leg high/average/low? (or you don't remember :))

flyerby Apr 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hamatmidim (Post 29652186)
Was the fare of your TLV-BKK leg high/average/low? (or you don't remember :))

T class.
~ $1,300 RT.

floridagal23 Jun 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hamatmidim (Post 29652168)
If they are overbooked in coach they will probably upgrade passengers to C. I see it happens, say, any 5th flight on regular routes, and any 3rd flight on busy ones (TLV-LHR/CDG for example). Downgrading is the same story the other way around - they overbooked C (and there is no available seats in F) and they have to send some passengers to coach. When this happens they are usually more worried, and therefore more aggressive, because they don't enjoy pissing off business passengers.

Very interesting. Thanks.