Search

El Al hates me!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
El Al hates me!

How else can you explain the letter I received reading, "I am delighted to present you with your new Matmid membership card (replacing the Silver card in your possession)"?

Note, they do not regret that I dropped to TL, they are admittedly "delighted" by that fact.

Interestingly enough, I do not have a Silver card and never did. I was Silver last year but when no card arrived and I called to ask about it I was told that they are no longer sending them because it is in my records. It really doesn't matter as I took no flights at all after reaching Silver and, when I do fly, I take Business Class which gives me any benefits that Silver would. Still, my ego is tender and my feelings are hurt by the fact that El Al is "delighted" that I have not been flying with it recently.

I am, therefore, delighted to let El Al know that while all the flights I made to get Silver were to European cities, for many years I flew to the States two or three times yearly on Delta and was a Platinum Medallion. Never once did I take El Al across the pond.

In fact, Delta was delighted enough to have me as a passenger that it gave me this on-board celebration when I reached Platinum:

So, El Al, in the immortal words of Shakespeare: "Nyahh...nyahh...nyahh!"
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
They stopped hating me a long time ago -I went from GL to Silver to TL to nothing, and not a peep - no interest at all. Even the occasional flight since then hasn't generated any interest. Contrast to BA where I went from GL up and down and was followed around the web and by email to "tempt" me back.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LY is a joke. They almost have more elite status levels than they have aircraft in their fleet.

did they also direct you to their "Prestigious" website to view your matmid account?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:44 pm

Regardless of LYs merits or otherwise, I fail to see how them being "delighted to present" the new card to you in any way demonstrated they are delighted that your status dropped. In fact I BET that same phrasing is used when one s status goes UP....
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by trooper
Regardless of LYs merits or otherwise, I fail to see how them being "delighted to present" the new card to you in any way demonstrated they are delighted that your status dropped. In fact I BET that same phrasing is used when one s status goes UP....
LMGTFY
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Please do not reveal that Shakespeare never really said, "Nyahh...nyahh...nyahh!"
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Please do not reveal that Shakespeare never really said, "Nyahh...nyahh...nyahh!"
He didn't? I'll be having a word with my 9th grade Literature teacher
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Contrast to BA where I went from GL up and down and was followed around the web and by email to "tempt" me back.
Going a little OT here but when you say BA GL do you mean GGL or do you mean Gold? Interesting that they tried to tempt you back, as I haven't come across that before on BA (haven't dropped from GGL or GCH for years but family members have), so in what way did they try and do that?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
Going a little OT here but when you say BA GL do you mean GGL or do you mean Gold? Interesting that they tried to tempt you back, as I haven't come across that before on BA (haven't dropped from GGL or GCH for years but family members have), so in what way did they try and do that?
It was quite a long time ago, maybe 12-15 years. I don't thing GGL existed, and after I dropped to Silver they sent me several targeted emails and special offers eg for extra status miles if I bought a business trans-atlantic etc. Then they sent me a "survey" designed to find out why I had reduced my flying with them, whether I was flying with other airlines or flying less.

No one called - no home visits either.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by entropy
LY is a joke. They almost have more elite status levels than they have aircraft in their fleet.

did they also direct you to their "Prestigious" website to view your matmid account?
LOL... at the end of the day I feel at home with El Al, just like my beloved Israel they are dysfunctional.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
EL AL …is stalking me?

Ha, at least some of you are getting personalised messages from LY… I just get anonymous emails that I can't stop…

While I'm a former LY employee and I used to know a little about Matmid, I never joined up AFAIK, since there was a membership fee and I didn't need to join. (and if there's no fee anymore, it just shows how long it's been since I even looked at Matmid online).

Anyway, I've started to get emails from <[email protected]> about updates to Matmid. Great, except, I'm not a member… am I?

I go to elal.com and find the Matmid login page, which asks for membership number, but also has a link about forgotten member number, which leads to: https://www.elal-matmid.com/en/Login...tIdNumber.aspx. Except the form insist on a 9 digit ID number. Isn't that the very thing I'm saying I don't know???

Of course, there's no 'unsubscribe' function in the email (I thought that was required by US law?), and I've tried reporting them as spam to Hotmail, but the emails keep on coming… (Yes, I'm positive they're not spoof/phishing emails, I mean, as far as one can tell. Any link I click does take me to the genuine LY site).

@EL AL Rep; How do I stop LY from stalking/emailing me?

I like you LY, but please leave me alone!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by JAXBA
I go to elal.com and find the Matmid login page, which asks for membership number, but also has a link about forgotten member number, which leads to: https://www.elal-matmid.com/en/Login...tIdNumber.aspx. Except the form insist on a 9 digit ID number. Isn't that the very thing I'm saying I don't know???
No. an ID number is not a membership number but a personal one. Israeli Teudat Zehut, or perhaps passport number etc.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Don't take it personally. ELAL hates all of their passengers except the Top Platinum.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
Don't take it personally. ELAL hates all of their passengers except the Top Platinum.
They no longer like them either, unless they're in full-fare biz
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by joshwex90
They no longer like them either, unless they're in full-fare biz
Unfortunately, very true. I have been TP for years now....Even at this level, upgrades are scarce, bonus co-pays are unreasonable and opening availability is maybe 10% of what it was just a couple of years ago. Even inflight service for the TPs has deteriorated. Add that to the horrid situation on the 787 (the mainstay of the fleet going forward) - and I am really considering spreading the wealth a bit and dropping out of the rat race for TP renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.