Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia Permits Air India to Overfly to Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saudi Arabia Permits Air India to Overfly to Israel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Over Oman now, very close to Saudi border
FlightRadar24 has adjusted the expected route of Air India 139 to Tel Aviv, showing that it may cross much of the breadth of Saudi Arabia while *avoiding* Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. It is now over Oman. Next, apparently, are UAE and Qatar. https://t.co/2O3ZP75k1S
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:57 pm

Just been following LY72 on flightradar and it has changed course and it looks like it is heading for Saudi Arabia too...
On second thoughts...looks like just an estimated position so probably wrong....oh we can wish!

Last edited by AntonyL; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Touchdown
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by AntonyL
Just been following LY72 on flightradar and it has changed course and it looks like it is heading for Saudi Arabia too...
On second thoughts...looks like just an estimated position so probably wrong....oh we can wish!
Because LY72 stopped transmitting its signal, you only see a theoretically calculated shortest route.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
AI140 TLV-DEL landed earlier this morning with a flight time of 5h32m!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
AI140 TLV-DEL landed earlier this morning with a flight time of 5h32m!
And landed on RWY 08; everything about this flight is abnormal
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder if the next step would be that Israel will allow eastbound traffic to go over its airspace. Right now all that traffic (except for RJ) has to detour via Egypt.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Oman, UAE, and Qatar also allowed AI to use their airspace or has this never been an issue?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I remember, about 20 years ago, flying SAA on a TLV-J'Burg flight having to land in Cairo for about 3 minutes because a number of African nations would not allow flights originating in Israel to overfly their territory. I have no idea if that has since changed.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Dovster
I remember, about 20 years ago, flying SAA on a TLV-J'Burg flight having to land in Cairo for about 3 minutes because a number of African nations would not allow flights originating in Israel to overfly their territory. I have no idea if that has since changed.
For a period about two years ago, ET flights from ADD-TLV stopped in CAI, for a similar reason.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
SAA doesn't fly to TLV anymore
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
SAA doesn't fly to TLV anymore

That takes care of the problem.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
El Al Suing Israel Over Air India Flight Using Saudi Airspace

The Points Guy - by Jessica Puckett

March 28, 2018 - 14 minutes ago

QUOTE:
"Israel’s national airline, El Al, petitioned Israel’s Supreme Court on Wednesday, filing suit in seeking to stop Air India from taking a shorter path on its nonstop flight from New Delhi (DEL) to Tel Aviv (TLV) through Saudi airspace.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/el-al-...audi-airspace/
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
El Al Suing Israel Over Air India Flight Using Saudi Airspace
The Points Guy - by Jessica Puckett
March 28, 2018 - 14 minutes ago
"Israel’s national airline, El Al, petitioned Israel’s Supreme Court on Wednesday, filing suit in seeking to stop Air India from taking a shorter path on its nonstop flight from New Delhi (DEL) to Tel Aviv (TLV) through Saudi airspace.
It’s indeed an unfair competition but I think that the supreme court will not stop the shorter flights. LY can only ask for compensation although I think that in this case they are suing the wrong country (hint KSA )
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by flyerby

It’s indeed an unfair competition but I think that the supreme court will not stop the shorter flights. LY can only ask for compensation although I think that in this case they are suing the wrong country (hint KSA )

It makes little sense that are suing their own government when it is not the state action of Israel. The problem cannot be redressed by Israel as it is KSA who are making the exception unless they prohibit flights that operate over KSA from flying into Israel. This would be a clearly targeted law which are generally disfavored but not sure how they are regarded under the Israeli constitution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.