Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Near Midair Collision at TLV Yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

https://www.timesofisrael.com/within...over-tel-aviv/

Incident: Fedex B752 at Tel Aviv on Jan 30th 2018, on final approach near collision with UN aircraft

WOW
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Bound to Happen

The Sde Dov departures specify fairly complex restrictions on climb because of the incoming flight path to BGN. It is easy to "bust" these restrictions if you don't carefully read the SID plate before departure and don't pay attention during the takeoff and climb-out.
Because of the limited air-space released for civilian use, there isn't really any other way to design the departures. In fact there is a note in the arrivals to BGN that warns aircraft that they may encounter a TCAS alert because of the small separation (only a few hundred feet) between the departures from SDV and the arrivals into BGN.

If the chief investigator classified the incident as a minor risk, then there is no reason to panic IMHO
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
If the chief investigator classified the incident as a minor risk, then there is no reason to panic IMHO
According to reports in Hebrew newspapers (and in the Aviation Herald) this was rated as a serious incident; at any rate, panic is almost never a good reaction

Additionally, as far as I can tell from the reports, no TCAS advisory was issued and it was BGN's ATC that alerted the pilot of the 757. We will have to wait for the official report in order to understand what really happened.

This is the flight path of the incident, the following go-around and safe landing

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jan 31, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:48 am

I don't have the expertise many of you have. But reading the account it seems simple. The UN plane did not follow its assigned route. It did its own thing. BTW, I also enjoyed reading the comments on the original article!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
To me it also seems simple. The European economy continues to support Israel's economy with continued trade of goods, and the UN tried to sabotage that. Did I miss anything?
awayIgo likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
The incident for relatively light coverage on the news here but it is pretty clear that the UN was playing fast with the flight plan

By the way am I the only one here who realizes that this occurred near an non existing airport? The name of the Tel Aviv airport as it appears on every travel site, luggage tag etc is TLV There is no BGN airport abbreviation
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"BGN" is a colloquial reference to TLV.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Trust the UN causing havoc, on Israeli land and now in the air!!!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Most problematic is the fact the ATC at SDV is run by AIF controllers. The airfield has a history of similar incidents.

See here for example (in Hebrew).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:58 pm

BGN

Originally Posted by joshwex90
"BGN" is a colloquial reference to TLV.
Hi there Josh How you doing? I haven't been around for a while

You know that we use TLV not BGN. Its not like the old NATBAG sign on Highway
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing great!

What do you mean, not like the old sign? Signs still say נתב"ג.

Anyways, "BGN" isn't official but so many use it that is has indeed become a colloquial way of referring to "TLV."
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Actually BGN is the name of the on airport VOR that is/was used for navigation , and when I referred to navigating to BGN in my post above, that is what I meant. It was inappropriate for this forum, sorry.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Doing great!

What do you mean, not like the old sign? Signs still say נתב"ג.

Anyways, "BGN" isn't official but so many use it that is has indeed become a colloquial way of referring to "TLV."
The problem then was not
נתב"ג
which was the correct Hebrew acronym but that the sign also said NATBAG in English which rendered the tourist completely confused as to what that was. After a few embarrassing newspaper picture articles it was changed to BEN GURION AIRPORT
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

The final report was published today (in Hebrew).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.