LLBG to become "major airport"

Old Jan 30, 18, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LLBG to become "major airport"

Globes English - Ben Gurion airport to be categorized as large in 2019

Its pretty amazing actually, when you consider natbag 2000 was supposed to service 10M pax, they're bursting at the seams and planning on 25M by 2019?

They've only been adding one concourse when they need (at least 2), I suppose the reactivated T-1 will pick up a lot of slack but they really need some improvements in passenger processing. They need an alternative to the mediocre Dan lounges. The article also quotes a $5 Billion pricetag for improvements, but I have no idea where that came from given the low 3-500's M cost of concourse E.
Old Apr 10, 18, 9:54 am

IIA need to address their *extremely* poorly thought-out Uber/Gett/preordered taxi system, that forces drivers into a parking lot, makes them get out of their cars to get a slip of paper from a desk, and then go back to their cars and exit. A slip of paper. In 2018. In start-up nation? Okay...

There's no traffic flow in the lot, and way too many cars for the amount of space - along with way too many drivers that just park wherever and a big balagan ensues. Pretty much every other airport in the world does it better... get on it Ben Gurion.
Old Apr 23, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
They are building tents to handle the increase in traffic - no joke:
https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73....html#autoplay
Old Apr 24, 18, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
They are building tents to handle the increase in traffic - no joke:
https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73....html#autoplay
This is the Middle East, mind you That said, not looking forward to it
Old Apr 24, 18, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

maybe the tents will be in time for sukkot...

the next step for NATBAG 2018 (in 2028..)

Globes English - NIS 1b expansion planned for Ben Gurion Airport Terminal 3

If they were a bit more "Startup nation" (har har), they'd leverage the HSR trains and offer check-in and a train ride at the new jerusalem station, TLV, Haifa, etc.
Old Apr 24, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA SL,LY SL bunch of other low status memberships
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
maybe the tents will be in time for sukkot...

the next step for NATBAG 2018 (in 2028..)

If they were a bit more "Startup nation" (har har), they'd leverage the HSR trains and offer check-in and a train ride at the new jerusalem station, TLV, Haifa, etc.
HSR? You've got a wrong country. There is no HSR system in Israel.
The tent is a disaster and a major planning failure.
Old Apr 24, 18, 2:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Fairmont
Whatever happened to Terminal 4?
It was built in time for the new millennium but with the 9/11 attacks and SARS epidemic it never really saw any action besides for Ilan Ramon Z"L 's body and a few other such occasions.
What would it take to get it up and running, capable of handling traffic?
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Not sure that would ever happen. Even if things operated more efficiently, I just don't see them doing that from a security/manpower perspective/

Originally Posted by BATLV View Post
HSR? You've got a wrong country. There is no HSR system in Israel.
The tent is a disaster and a major planning failure.
Of course there's HSR! It'll be ready in 2001 (I mean 2011, or Passover 2018, or Sukkot 2018, or...?)

Originally Posted by rafi2k6 View Post
Whatever happened to Terminal 4?
It was built in time for the new millennium but with the 9/11 attacks and SARS epidemic it never really saw any action besides for Ilan Ramon Z"L 's body and a few other such occasions.
What would it take to get it up and running, capable of handling traffic?
Nothing ever happened with it. Waste
Old Apr 25, 18, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
Not sure that would ever happen. Even if things operated more efficiently, I just don't see them doing that from a security/manpower perspective/
Of course there's HSR! It'll be ready in 2001 (I mean 2011, or Passover 2018, or Sukkot 2018, or...?)
Well, they used to do the day-before checkin and interview in the city with the pre-checkin service, so they could do that elsewhere. But they're pretty disappointingly myopic.

The jerusalem train is supposed to be HSR, "", but we'll see. should be faster than driving but then again.... the existing schedule is so wonky its super annoying.
Old Apr 29, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Terminal 3 will be expanded rather than building another terminal.

Lots of talk about new checkin counters (88) but they have only built about 9 new gates in the new E wing, so does this mean we'll finally see an "A" wing to the concourse with 9 more gates? Not sure where they'd put all the duty free shops, however. Personally I think they should either build a new terminal or expand Terminal 1.
Old Apr 29, 18, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
I think that the source of confusion, is the purpose of the planning at TLV airport. In most airports, the purpose of planning is to accommodate traffic needs. In TLV (and some other countries), it is to accommodate the employment needs and maximize earnings and appropriate contracts for IAA employees and their friends.
Old Apr 29, 18, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
I think that the source of confusion, is the purpose of the planning at TLV airport. In most airports, the purpose of planning is to accommodate traffic needs. In TLV (and some other countries), it is to accommodate the employment needs and maximize earnings and appropriate contracts for IAA employees and their friends.
indeed; but while the growth lately has been pretty incredible, its more likely a step-function with the sudden invasion of LCCs. There's still plenty of growth to happen but it probably won't be as fast.

They ought to start straight away on A; as well as the improved check-in area. Long term I suppose its possible to build another terminal to the east of the cargo area so it would be in the middle. But hopefully, the momentum to keep SDV open will continue.
Old Apr 30, 18, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed; but while the growth lately has been pretty incredible, its more likely a step-function with the sudden invasion of LCCs. There's still plenty of growth to happen but it probably won't be as fast.

They ought to start straight away on A; as well as the improved check-in area. Long term I suppose its possible to build another terminal to the east of the cargo area so it would be in the middle. But hopefully, the momentum to keep SDV open will continue.
What would SDV do to help? It's only domestic traffic, so nothing that really impacts T3 growth.
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:26 am

They ought to start straight away on A; as well as the improved check-in area. Long term I suppose its possible to build another terminal to the east of the cargo area so it would be in the middle.
And to connect Terminal 1 with Terminal 3, both landside and airside. The current situation, where several flights depart from T1 but land in T3, is totally unacceptable. The bus shuttles that run twice hourly are a joke IME.

Shuly
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuly View Post
And to connect Terminal 1 with Terminal 3, both landside and airside. The current situation, where several flights depart from T1 but land in T3, is totally unacceptable. The bus shuttles that run twice hourly are a joke IME.

Shuly
The plan is to eventually have arrivals facilities at T1.

I thought the shuttle ran every 15 minutes?

Search this Thread