FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   LY ad: "Europe Doesn’t Have to Be Part of the Deal" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1887667-ly-ad-europe-doesn-t-have-part-deal.html)

joshwex90 Jan 11, 2018 6:21 am

LY ad: "Europe Doesn’t Have to Be Part of the Deal"

Anyone else come across this: Europe Doesn’t Have to Be Part of the Deal

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6278f8e34f.jpg

Originally posted by "Ads of the World," created by McCann

I understand the sentiment of showing to be offering non-stop flights but seems in very poor taste.

The article implies that they are the only one offering non-stop flights between Israel and the USA. Obviously inaccurate with both UA and DL.

I'm not so sure sucking up to Trump and knocking Europe, especially Merkel specifically (what did she do?) will reflect well on LY.

irishguy28 Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am

That's surely a parody, or a "fake ad", rather than on officially-sanctioned El-Al advertisement - right????

Leaving the politics aside, surely no-one would commission such a poorly-executed cartoon and run it as an ad :D :D :D

cestmoi123 Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29279477)
That's surely a parody, or a "fake ad", rather than on officially-sanctioned El-Al advertisement - right????

Leaving the politics aside, surely no-one would commission such a poorly-executed cartoon and run it as an ad :D :D :D

Apparently, this is a real ad.

https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/...rt_of_the_deal

entropy Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm

wow. that's just stupid.

cestmoi123 Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Given that 70% of Jewish Americans voted for Clinton, this doesn't seem like particularly intelligent branding...

LatusElAl Jan 12, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 29281143)
wow. that's just stupid.

Well.....
If you believe the old adage that there is no such thing as bad advertising, chalk this one up to a certain kind of provocative. It will get people talking....about El Al. If you consider that most Jews, especially Israelis, have a special affinity for the USA and a definitive concern (understatement) for Europe - this ad causes both a buzz and makes people think....if you believe the old adage.

LatusElAl Jan 12, 2018 3:29 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 29281605)
Given that 70% of Jewish Americans voted for Clinton, this doesn't seem like particularly intelligent branding...

Need to pay more careful attention to the stats here....
If you consider the recent Pew study putting the US Jewish assimilation/intermarriage rate at a staggering 60% (or was it 70%?)....That leaves a rough 40% who are more than just "genetic" or "ethnic" or "cultural" Jews. Somehow I doubt that the 70% of Jewish Clinton voters fall into the later "40%" - which would mean a far greater percentage of "traditional/observant" Jews probably did not vote for Mrs. Clinton. Considering the "easy" market segment for flights to Israel from the USA - the aforementioned segment, plus traditionalist and/or Evangelical Christians, this ad may just well be "on the money"....

entropy Jan 12, 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl (Post 29282983)
Well.....
If you believe the old adage that there is no such thing as bad advertising, chalk this one up to a certain kind of provocative. It will get people talking....about El Al. If you consider that most Jews, especially Israelis, have a special affinity for the USA and a definitive concern (understatement) for Europe - this ad causes both a buzz and makes people think....if you believe the old adage.

yes, lets ask Harvey weinstein how all his publicity is helping his career...

LY would be more likely to win my business if they improve their hard product in J, not making stupid ads.

cestmoi123 Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl (Post 29282997)
Need to pay more careful attention to the stats here....
If you consider the recent Pew study putting the US Jewish assimilation/intermarriage rate at a staggering 60% (or was it 70%?)....That leaves a rough 40% who are more than just "genetic" or "ethnic" or "cultural" Jews. Somehow I doubt that the 70% of Jewish Clinton voters fall into the later "40%" - which would mean a far greater percentage of "traditional/observant" Jews probably did not vote for Mrs. Clinton. Considering the "easy" market segment for flights to Israel from the USA - the aforementioned segment, plus traditionalist and/or Evangelical Christians, this ad may just well be "on the money"....

That's a fair point, and I hadn't thought about it in that context. From a poll before the election:

"Reform Jews are likeliest to favor Clinton over Trump, 74 percent to 10 percent; Reconstructionists prefer Clinton 71 percent to 0 percent for Trump and 15 percent for Stein; “just Jewish” chooses Clinton over Trump, 60 to 17 percent; and Conservative Jews favor Clinton over Trump, 57-29 percent. Among Orthodox respondents, as in recent elections, preferences are flipped, with respondents likelier to favor Trump — to a degree. Trump does not do as well with this subset as Clinton does overall. Orthodox respondents favor Trump at 50 percent, Clinton at 21 percent, Johnson at 6 percent and Stein at 1 percent, with 15 percent saying they will not vote."

https://forward.com/news/353914/by-t...6-jewish-vote/

ctownflyer Jan 12, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 29283473)
yes, lets ask Harvey weinstein how all his publicity is helping his career...

LY would be more likely to win my business if they improve their hard product in J, not making stupid ads.

Methinks LYs SFO-TLV hard product will be much better than UAs SFO-TLV hard product...

joshwex90 Jan 15, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29279477)

My only hope (and my actual guess) is that this was produced by McCann but LY may not have actually commissioned the specific ad, and this was a concept ad. But if this makes any more rounds, LY will have a big PR nightmare, even if this is never used publicly.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 29284232)
Methinks LYs SFO-TLV hard product will be much better than UAs SFO-TLV hard product...

Not sure. People haven't been very happy with the new 787 C seat on LY!

ctownflyer Jan 15, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 29295197)
Not sure. People haven't been very happy with the new 787 C seat on LY!

How can a 1-2-1 787 config be worse than a 2-2-2 787 config?

joshwex90 Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am

Try both and tell me. Being serious. Many complaints about the LY seat.

ctownflyer Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 29295649)
Try both and tell me. Being serious. Many complaints about the LY seat.

The LY787 J seat looks similar to the UA Polaris J seat on the 77W. But I haven't heard anyone say they would rather than UA 772 J seat over the 77W.

joshwex90 Jan 15, 2018 12:00 pm

772 is wider than 787