Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Carry-on rules for economy...I'm confused

Old Nov 26, 17, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta skymiles, BAEC

I will be flying el al basic economy from Madrid to Tel Aviv. I need clarification of the el al hand baggage rules.

I usually take one small rollaboard that weighs about 10 kgs the (about 22 lbs.). But then I also carry a small purse or small backpack.

The el al website says that in economy they allow one bag that is no more than 8 kgs.

Will they allow me to bring my purse or backpack in addition to the rollaboard???

Are they likely to weigh my rollaboard ?? I don't know how strict they are.

I'll be connecting from a flight from Miami. Both terminal 4S. I really don't want to check any luggage. I have 3 1/2 hours between flights.

Thanks for for any advice.
Old Nov 26, 17, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
EL AL sometimes weighs and sometimes doesn't, but if not checking any luggage, meaning you're heading straight to the gate, they will 99% NOT weigh your suitcase. If it looks too big, they may indeed ask you to check it at the gate, but they won't charge you. You can fight with them on it if you haven't checked anything.
Old Nov 27, 17, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Joshwex90, for your very kind and helpful reply.
Old Nov 29, 17, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Put 2kg worth of stuff into your purse or small bag (or your pockets) if you have to get your boarding pass from an agent. If you can print from home and go right to the gate, then it won't matter. Probably however you will have to go to the agent area since you need to do the security interview. Again, your mileage may vary. I travel often with only carry on luggage and after doing the security interview with my home printed boarding pass try to sneak away to the gate without getting my bag weighed, but sometimes they call you over to the desk to weigh it.
Old Dec 4, 17, 1:36 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
EL AL sometimes weighs and sometimes doesn't, but if not checking any luggage, meaning you're heading straight to the gate, they will 99% NOT weigh your suitcase. If it looks too big, they may indeed ask you to check it at the gate, but they won't charge you. You can fight with them on it if you haven't checked anything.
I recently flew with UP, Elal's low-cost alternative. I was shocked in regards to the lack of checking for carry-on luggage. I saw people coming on-board with 3 bags and some with trolleys that could only fit sideways in the overhead bins. It was chaos in the aisle.
Old Dec 4, 17, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
I recently flew with UP, Elal's low-cost alternative. I was shocked in regards to the lack of checking for carry-on luggage. I saw people coming on-board with 3 bags and some with trolleys that could only fit sideways in the overhead bins. It was chaos in the aisle.
It's not just an airline, it's Israel!
hnussbacher likes this.
Old Dec 4, 17, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all these ideas and comments.

Search this Thread