United or EL Al to NYC?

Old Nov 3, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
There's a super convenient bus that leaves every 15 minutes from just outside the terminal at EWR to both the Port Authority and Grand central. Way easier than the airtrain to the subway and at 5am when the TLV flight arrives (and even the evening arrival) there's no traffic so it's quite good.
Old Nov 3, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by avital View Post
That will be a problem. Don't like LY planes. Maybe I should just go with UA. What is Delta Airbus A330-300 like?

Also, is it better to arrive at JFK or EWR with ESTA? From my recollection at EWR they have a line for ESTA and at JFK they don't and the lines there are very long.

Thanks
From a pure seating configuration perspective, the Delta A330 would be the most comfortable of all choices - and it isn't even close. 2-4-2 is much nicer than 3-3-3 with the curve along the windows on the 787, 3-3-3 on the 77E, 3-4-3 on the 747 or the horrible 3-4-3 on the 77W. The entertainment will all be similar, though I believe the 77W has the advantage of Channel 9 on United.
Old Nov 4, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
From a pure seating configuration perspective, the Delta A330 would be the most comfortable of all choices - and it isn't even close. 2-4-2 is much nicer than 3-3-3 with the curve along the windows on the 787, 3-3-3 on the 77E, 3-4-3 on the 747 or the horrible 3-4-3 on the 77W. The entertainment will all be similar, though I believe the 77W has the advantage of Channel 9 on United.
Does United actually offer CH9 at TLV?
I was once told that due to security it's never on.

Anybody checked this out?
Old Nov 4, 17, 4:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
Does United actually offer CH9 at TLV?
I was once told that due to security it's never on.

Anybody checked this out?
1) PMUA didn't fly to TLV

2) The PMCO 77Es that have operated that route for nearly all of it's existence don't have Channel 9.

Who told you this?
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. So, due to some limitations that my friend has due to personal reasons the flight that made the most sense is UA 772 that lands in Newark. However, the seats are limited and they only have seats in the middle available.
I am not tall but I love aisle seats (also feel less claustrophobic). Is it worth upgrading to economy plus? The cost is $179
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If there are only middle seats left, you can take a potential gamble (that has little downside in your case) and NOT select a seat, hoping that E- fills up and you get a free E+ seat.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:39 am
Original Poster

If I have mileage plus do I still need to pay? Although my balance is 0.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You need to pay for the seats unless you have Premier status with UA (except Silver status, who also must pay until T-24)
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:08 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
1) PMUA didn't fly to TLV

2) The PMCO 77Es that have operated that route for nearly all of it's existence don't have Channel 9.

Who told you this?
PMCO all have CH9 installed.
Old Nov 12, 17, 8:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I would go with the 772 then the 787. UA's 772s have a great Y due to their 9 abreast seating (for now). The 787 has a little bit of a narrower seat, but it does have the lower cabin altitude so you feel better upon arrival. EWR is at least as convenient as JFK for everywhere except Long Island, Queens, the Upper East Side, most of the Bronx, and most of Brooklyn (the area close to Staten Island has a shorter drive to EWR).
Old Nov 13, 17, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Here's a review of the 777-300 TLV-EWR flight on UA

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/uni...flight-review/
Old Nov 13, 17, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TLV View Post
Don't even think of the 747 as an option.
El Al's 787 can be a nice option, as it lands at EWR and the airplane, well, it's a 787.
United 772 is a better option then the brand new 773 when flying coach, but please note that the 772 is flying the 85/84 (which is a day flight from TLV and I would prefer to avoid it).
Delta's A333 is also a pretty good option, as the coach is comparable to United's 772 but it arrives in JFK - ok if JFK is your final destination but terrible for connections. EWR is the better option for airport in NYC , not perfect but much more pleasant then JFK.
1- I prefer the 84/85 combo even before the 90/91 went 773. For many reasons some are 1 if the 91 gets in too early you end up sitting at the gate until CBP opens. Ive sat for 20-25 mins. 2- If youre not Israel based then the 91 requires an extra night at your hotel (dont know any hotel that will allow say an 8 or 9pm late checkout for $0. 3- an extra day on the car rental. If Israel based then #s 2 & 3 dont apply

As for JFK vs EWR, I live 15 mins door to term to EWR and rather drive the 30 mins to JFK to avoid EWR and UA as much as I can. Ive driven down to PHL as well. Fares are usually cheaper out of JFK and PHL over EWR (in general and not talking about TLV perse although JFK has abunch of carriers that are $100s cheaper then UA but with a stop over)