FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Meal from Lhr (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1865690-meal-lhr.html)

moebod Sep 7, 2017 10:31 am

Meal from Lhr

Flying in a few weeks from LHR to TLV with Elal First
Does Hermolis or Masbia cater the Glatt meals? Will Elal have any food in the lounge?

Thanks

mikebg Sep 7, 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by moebod (Post 28788447)
Flying in a few weeks from LHR to TLV with Elal First
Does Hermolis or Masbia cater the Glatt meals?

Hamasbia

Will Elal have any food in the lounge?
Yes, but it seems to get worse every time (or so it seems to be reported here)

Calculated Risk Sep 10, 2017 12:52 am

Make sure you've requested in your reservation (no use doing it at the airport) for a 'special kosher' meal.
The food in the lounge is basically a selection of cold salads and some cuscus.

moe8555 Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Calculated Risk (Post 28797975)
Make sure you've requested in your reservation (no use doing it at the airport) for a 'special kosher' meal.
The food in the lounge is basically a selection of cold salads and some cuscus.

Why is that? What is the difference between the standard kosher meal and the special one?

mikebg Sep 10, 2017 11:05 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 28798740)
Why is that? What is the difference between the standard kosher meal and the special one?

They come from completely different catering companies. The regular comes from TaMaM, based in BG Airport. The Mehadrin ("Special Kosher") comes from Hamasbia, based in Ramle.

moebod Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm

How is the Masbia first meals, what can i expect? Close to hermolis? Much better then business?

Someone told me in elal f you can custom request your meal from hamasbia, anyone heard of this?

mikebg Sep 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by moebod (Post 28799642)
How is the Masbia first meals, what can i expect? Close to hermolis? Much better then business?

Someone told me in elal f you can custom request your meal from hamasbia, anyone heard of this?

I have not flown much in EL AL for almost 3 years. I used to fly in F to and from London every month, sometimes more often, and sometimes to New York, and always took the SKML (Hamasbia). If you can custom-order from Hamasbia that must be new. It certainly was not the case in my time. In fact, it had been quite catastrophic, and as a result of a long and often acrimonious correspondence (and series of meetings at the EL AL head offices) did EL AL agree to upgrade the SKML to approximately the same standard as the regular F meal. It was a long and painful saga (I was a PL then, in the days before they invented TPL, and they took that status quite seriously).

The Hamasbia meals are OK, but not remotely as good as Hermolis. To give them credit, they do try hard (and I get their meals from TLV on BA as well). Their main problem is that they cannot source as good quality ingredients (like meat and veg) with Badatz kashrut as Hermolis can in London (with Kedassia approval).

One thing which was certainly true then, but may have changed since, was that if you ordered SKML they would prepae a complete set of choices for EACH passenger! So you got a choice of fish, chicken or beef. You could (and I usually did) take all three. So that was way better than what you got in business, when there was no choice. I also recall (as recently as a year ago) much more impressive (and tasty) starters in F than in business, both in quality, variety and quantity.

tedcruz Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

I fyou fly BA, you get Hermolis....

mikebg Sep 15, 2017 1:16 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz (Post 28811659)
I fyou fly BA, you get Hermolis....

Correct, but only from LHR. Not from TLV.

tedcruz Sep 15, 2017 10:21 am

I flew F with BA and the 2nd meal was Hermolis.

mikebg Sep 16, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz (Post 28819414)
I flew F with BA and the 2nd meal was Hermolis.

Maybe was on Saturday night from LHR. Or more than 7 years ago.