Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Gurion Airport Concourse E

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SENATOR
Ben Gurion Airport Concourse E

Are there already any news concerning the opening date of concourse E? Also will it be offering any specific features such as finally a good and spacious lounge for non EL AL passengers like a designated "Star Alliance" Lounge, considering the amount of Star Carriers flying to TLV. Ok, there are also various One World and Sky Team carriers flying to TLV but if I am not mistaken Star Alliance has the most passengers
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Haven't seen anything indicating when E will open, just that it will be opening "soonish," and that they expect to reach 18M pax next year, so likely want it by then.

There will be a lounge, but I haven't seen or heard anything that it would be *A specifically, even though that would be nice.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Haven't seen anything indicating when E will open, just that it will be opening "soonish," and that they expect to reach 18M pax next year, so likely want it by then.
They already had 17.9M last year, and this year already 11.2M (end of July) vs. 9.6M last year, so I have a feeling 18M will be hit before the end of this year...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
IIRC, the 3 concourses were designed for 10MM passengers? No wonder its a zoo.

I really hope they build a star lounge or a UC/Polaris club, the Dan lounges are really substandard these days.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it was built for 10M pax but designed for 12M (meaning there was room for an additional 2M, expecting lower averages).

I wouldn't expect a UC and certainly not a Polaris lounge. I've heard nothing of a planned *A lounge, but a *A operated or TK operated lounge is much more likely than a UA operated lounge.

Does anyone know why they started with B, C, D, and not A? Is it because they didn't want to start by building a concourse immediately to the left upon entering the rotunda, for space consideration, but figured they'd keep the letter available in case they expanded?

Has there been any talk of adding concourse A?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
A lot of interesting pictures (and some background info in Hebrew) of the new concourse can be found here.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I believe it was built for 10M pax but designed for 12M (meaning there was room for an additional 2M, expecting lower averages).

I wouldn't expect a UC and certainly not a Polaris lounge. I've heard nothing of a planned *A lounge, but a *A operated or TK operated lounge is much more likely than a UA operated lounge.

Does anyone know why they started with B, C, D, and not A? Is it because they didn't want to start by building a concourse immediately to the left upon entering the rotunda, for space consideration, but figured they'd keep the letter available in case they expanded?

Has there been any talk of adding concourse A?
Given how many pax there are (and growing) they ought to start planning for it, but I think they'd have to remove the duty free shop in order to do the construction, which will be a problem.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:52 am

Surely the reopening of T1 for LCC flights should also help?
Are there any plans to increase capacity for the check-in counters/security/immigration?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
Given how many pax there are (and growing) they ought to start planning for it, but I think they'd have to remove the duty free shop in order to do the construction, which will be a problem.
Why would they need to remove the duty free shop? Perhaps shrink it (temporarily)?

Originally Posted by Ditto
Surely the reopening of T1 for LCC flights should also help?
Are there any plans to increase capacity for the check-in counters/security/immigration?
Already opened, though still not yet for arrivals. They need to expand T1 already though. Not that many gates and not too many check-in areas. But some of the biggest growth in TLV is from the LCCs who are going to T1
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:26 am

Already opened, though still not yet for arrivals. They need to expand T1 already though. Not that many gates and not too many check-in areas. But some of the biggest growth in TLV is from the LCCs who are going to T1
Presumably arrivals are just bussed to T3 and enters next to immigration? so not such a big deal if they have enough desks open, and maybe make a proper queueing system...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, all T1 arrivals are bused to T3. The issues are:
  1. The majority of the biometric kiosks that people use to save time are long before entering the immigration hall, so all T1 arriving pax are forced to use the very few kiosks there, making the lines long for Israelis
  2. They never have enough desks open and there is no line system at all
  3. Because the baggage handling is separate in the different terminals, the addition of the T1 flights cause baggage delays (extra bags with no additional staff - when they open T1 arrivals, they won't be shifting handlers from T3 to T1, they'll be hiring new staff)
  4. Occasionally, customs decides to check everyone, and they have like 2 people working. So any additional flight causes more of a backlog
Thankfully, the issue will be addressed because they are planning on opening up T1 to arrivals, just don't know when
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:11 am

They never have enough desks open and there is no line system at all
I would say this is probably the biggest problem, processing of Israeli PAX shouldn't take long, but every time I was flying through it didn't seem like anyone cares, and you could use the Israeli passports queue with any passport, and PAX zigzagging between the "queues" is only making it worse.

Most PAX on LCC don't have checked in baggage, how long does it take to receive baggage?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say this is probably the biggest problem, processing of Israeli PAX shouldn't take long, but every time I was flying through it didn't seem like anyone cares, and you could use the Israeli passports queue with any passport, and PAX zigzagging between the "queues" is only making it worse.

Most PAX on LCC don't have checked in baggage, how long does it take to receive baggage?
I wish they would design the passport line much simpler, where you choose a line based on status (Israeli, Foreigner, Staff, Disabled, Diplomat, etc.), and you simply go to the next available desk, as opposed to the supermarket style guessing game.

As for LCC, the number who take luggage is lower than legacy carriers, but not 0. Wife just landed on a T1 flight, 40-seater plane. She waited 35 minutes for the stroller/carseat. And legacy carrier pax also get extended waits as such.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:27 am

35 minutes sounds like a lot for TLV, but then again I avoid flying during busy times.
Could be worse though, in AMS during summer you can easily wait 40-45 minutes or more for your bag...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35 minutes sounds like a lot for TLV, but then again I avoid flying during busy times.
Wasn't even the busiest time!

Could be worse though, in AMS during summer you can easily wait 40-45 minutes or more for your bag...
Which is one reason why I'll be flying carry-on only next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.