Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Gurion Airport Concourse E

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Coming to think of it, there are 4 concourses now, so how about 4 lounges: LY, *A, OW & ST?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Its so disappointing that Dan runs all the (crappy) lounges at TLV, bar the KDL. If anywhere would be a good location for a Star Alliance lounge, this has to be it. Does Dan have an overly cozy relationship with the IAA or something?
Seems to be. Israeli government-run companies like to work with one local provider instead of diversifying and opening up to competition.

Originally Posted by entropy
really? They certainly have almost nothing in terms of longhaul to North America (1-2 DL flights, vs the 3 UA+1-2AC), and prior to the LCC invasion, TK has the most lift by a big margin.
That's what I would've thought as well even with not realizing how many daily flights SU has.
Originally Posted by makin'miles
With all the Star Alliance flights out of TLV, I'd think that even one Star Alliance airline could open a lounge and it'd be a profit center. I checked a random date in March, and counted 30 Star Alliance departures (UAx3, ACx1, ETx2, LXx2, OSx2, LHx6, TKx9, A3x3, LOx1, and SNx1). In the summer, there's easily an additional five or so flights.
I've been saying for a while that star should really build a lounge.
TLV would be a great place for a *A lounge (either TK operated, LH operated, or just *A operated). But they have no interest in spending the money. There is a Dan lounge that gives access to *A F/C and *G pax already and they don't seem to be losing business, so why spend the money?

Originally Posted by flyerby
Coming to think of it, there are 4 concourses now, so how about 4 lounges: LY, *A, OW & ST?
Is there enough OW to justify? Regardless, what would you do with non-aligned airlines?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Regardless, what would you do with non-aligned airlines?
It’s about time they start using the LY lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by flyerby

It’s about time they start using the LY lounge.
Why would LY want to encourage that?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why would LY want to encourage that?
$$$
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:02 am

One of the reasons the LY lounge is nice is because it isn't that overcrowded. They would have to be idiots to ruin their lounge! ( yes, I know they can be, but sometimes they DO use their brains.) Hopefully, as someone who only used the KD, this will be one of those times. I also think they may feel that if people want to use KD, let them fly LY!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by awayIgo
One of the reasons the LY lounge is nice is because it isn't that overcrowded. They would have to be idiots to ruin their lounge! ( yes, I know they can be, but sometimes they DO use their brains.) Hopefully, as someone who only used the KD, this will be one of those times. I also think they may feel that if people want to use KD, let them fly LY!
I dunno, most airports, particularly if they're the primary gateway into a country are treated like they make an important impression on the people flying thru them. In a country that is heavily dependent on foreign investment, particularly high-tech but other industry as well, it is important to give a good impression (not just the hoi-pollloi, they actually get a great airport, architecturally) but the lounges are a joke.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I also think they may feel that if people want to use KD, let them fly LY!
Of course that's what they think; that is the purpose of airline lounges, to give people the incentive to choose them over other airlines. Would TK let other airlines pax use their lounge in IST (and I'm not talking about other *Alliance members), AF in CDG or CX in HKG? That is the reason why LY would never let other airlines use their much better lounge in TLV.

In a country that is heavily dependent on foreign investment, particularly high-tech but other industry as well, it is important to give a good impression but the lounges are a joke.
I criticise the Dan lounges in TLV often but let's be honest, there are some many lounges out there in countries that are also dependent on foreign investments (who doesn't these days, anyway), that are no less mediocre.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I dunno, most airports, particularly if they're the primary gateway into a country are treated like they make an important impression on the people flying thru them. In a country that is heavily dependent on foreign investment, particularly high-tech but other industry as well, it is important to give a good impression (not just the hoi-pollloi, they actually get a great airport, architecturally) but the lounges are a joke.
TLV really doesn't need lounges. Yes, I usually go to one but only because I fly Biz and get free entry. In TLV I grab a free Coke and some slices of cake, but that is about it. If I am hungry, I go to the food court. I spend some time in the Duty Free. There is free wi-fi throughout the airport. I smoke and the smoking areas are far from the lounges, so I generally stay near them instead of going back to the lounge.

True, the lounge seats are more comfortable than those in the rest of the terminal -- but not very much so. If the King David and Dan lounges were shut down I really would not miss them.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
TLV really doesn't need lounges. Yes, I usually go to one but only because I fly Biz and get free entry. In TLV I grab a free Coke and some slices of cake, but that is about it. If I am hungry, I go to the food court. I spend some time in the Duty Free. There is free wi-fi throughout the airport. I smoke and the smoking areas are far from the lounges, so I generally stay near them instead of going back to the lounge.

True, the lounge seats are more comfortable than those in the rest of the terminal -- but not very much so. If the King David and Dan lounges were shut down I really would not miss them.
thank you for proving the point!

As for other countries... I don't care about them, I *do* care about Israel . (which is why I'm embarrassed about LY, Dan lounges, etc. I don't care about TAP Air Portugal )
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
TLV really doesn't need lounges.
As for other countries... I don't care about them, I *do* care about Israel . (which is why I'm embarrassed about LY, Dan lounges, etc. I don't care about TAP Air Portugal )
There’s another point here to consider. TLV is not a transit airport. Most of its passengers are either starting or ending their journey in TLV. Hence, one will not find himself many hours waiting in TLV.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except the poor fools who arrive 4 hours ahead of their flights like everyone says to.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Except the poor fools who arrive 4 hours ahead of their flights like everyone says to.
Only those flying LY can check in that early. Most of the other airlines don't man their desks until 3 hours before departure. Thus nobody flying on those airlines won't be able to get to the lounge for four hours anyhow.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:11 am

Aren't Dan lounges limited to 2 hours stay anyway?
Slightly OT, but is there any good reason for why TLV can't be/isn't a transit airport? It's located quite conveniently to connect from Europe/US to Asia/Africa.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Slightly OT, but is there any good reason for why TLV can't be/isn't a transit airport? It's located quite conveniently to connect from Europe/US to Asia/Africa.
Airlines cannot fly over Arab countries when flying from/to TLV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.