Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

VIPs on the flight deck for take off and landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

I just arrived on LY02 from JFK today (a couple of hours delayed, but that's another story).
I was sitting in row 10 in business class and in the row in front of me (First class), was a famous American politician and former US presidential candidate. Before the flight took off the chief steward spoke to him and he left his first class seat and only returned to the seat about 45 minutes after take off. The same thing on landing, he left his seat a half an hour before landing and had not returned even once we had arrived at the gate.

I can only conclude that he was offered a special VIP visit to the flight deck for take off and landing.
Am I mistaken in thinking this is a violation of both FAA and Israeli CAA flight safety rules?

Should I report this?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Who would you report and why? What do you expect/hope to be the outcome?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Report to the FAA and the Israel CAA the pilot for allowing a non pilot onto the flight deck during take off and landing.

This flight was delayed for 2 hours because there was a concern that an unauthorized person had access to the food catering for this flight so they had to run "checks" on the food to ensure the safety of the flight.

But they were not concerned about safety by allowing an unauthorized Person on the flight deck?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

FAA rules 121.547 Admission to Flight Deck

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR-2009-title14-vol3/CFR-2009-title14-vol3-sec121-547
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why the secrecy? Who was this US politician? If you are concerned, may as well identify him.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure it's relevant to name him here - I didn't hear that specifically requested the visit, and ultimately it's the pilot's responsibility who gets in the cockpit.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Honestly, you really shouldn't be reporting an incident based on speculation and assumptions. You didn't actually see the violation occur first hand.

But please do tell us who these VIPs were. What's wrong with telling? This was a commercial flight, not a private jet.

Was it Al Gore / Joe Lieberman?!

Last edited by moe8555; Jun 26, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

It was Rudy Giuliani (flying in for the Cyber week conference).
You are correct I didnt see him enter the cockpit - But - where else could he have gone during takeoff and landing? He wasnt in First class where his seat was. He wasnt in the lower level business class where i was sitting.

Do you think he wanted to downgrade himself to Economy for take off and landing? I guess theoretically he could have moved up the upper level business class, however all the seats were full in Business. So its not hard to guess where he went.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nombody
It was Rudy Giuliani (flying in for the Cyber week conference). You are correct I didnt see him enter the cockpit - But - where else could he have gone during takeoff and landing? He wasnt in First class where his seat was. He wasnt in the lower level business class where i was sitting.
Do you think he wanted to downgrade himself to Economy for take off and landing? I guess theoretically he could have moved up the upper level business class, however all the seats were full in Business. So its not hard to guess where he went.
Perhaps aliens abducted him, or maybe the Russians hacked the plane and cyber-transported him out.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:04 pm

Sitting in the upper deck of the 747 I ALWAYS see people going into the flight deck for take off and landing. If this is against the rules, than it is a rule that is never followed.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ridiculous post. Plus, he may have had a jumpseat authority pass. Those can be issued on an ad hoc basis, provided the airline and chief pilot approve.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
FAA rules 121.547 Admission to Flight Deck

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CF...ol3-sec121-547
Read the rule. Seems pretty clear that it's pilot's discretion, rendering this whole post irrelevant.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:17 am

What thread does the OP think he [posed by being on the flight deck?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Report to the FAA and the Israel CAA the pilot for allowing a non pilot onto the flight deck during take off and landing.

This flight was delayed for 2 hours because there was a concern that an unauthorized person had access to the food catering for this flight so they had to run "checks" on the food to ensure the safety of the flight.

But they were not concerned about safety by allowing an unauthorized Person on the flight deck?
He was authorized if the pilot allowed it.

Regardless, you are simply speculating. You don't know he was there. Perhaps there was an issue with the seat for take-off/landing but not cruising, and he did indeed move to Biz for just that.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe he was sick and spent takeoff and landing in the lavatory, but that shouldn't have been allowed either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.