Wiki Posts
Search

Israeli Passport Question

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
Israeli Passport Question

I possess both an Israeli and British passport. My Israeli passport expires in a few months. I want to apply for a new one but the length of time it takes is longer than the time I stay in the country between flights. I know there is an express service at BG but at an exorbitant price.
So, if I go through the normal 10 day minimum application (which also means handing in my Israeli passport):
1. Does anyone know if I could just fly using my UK passport at security and the fingerprint reader at passport control? or
2. Can I apply for a new/second passport and keep the almost expired one for traveling in the interim?

UPDATE:
I took 2035's advice and went to my local misrad hapnim to renew the passport. I explained to them that I was flying again in under a week and that my schedule doesn't allow for >10 in Israel at any one time. They had the new passport ready for me to collect in 3 days. - Job Done!

Last edited by Calculated Risk; May 21, 2017 at 5:18 am
Old May 10, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Technically, you cannot exit Israel on your foreign passport if you posses an Israeli passport. And when you renew, you handover your current passport, so you are without either.

Like in other countries, express service always costs more. Not sure if there'a any way around this other than spending more than 10 days in Israel OR spending enough time wherever you reside near an Israeli embassy/consulate.

Note that technically, you can enter Israel on an expired Israeli passport but must renew your passport on that trip and can't leave until you've received your new passport.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calculated Risk
1. Does anyone know if I could just fly using my UK passport at security and the fingerprint reader at passport control?
Even if technically possible, I wouldn't recommend it... what would you do if for any reason it won't work? Not to mention it could make your security experience much more "interesting".
Old May 10, 2017, 1:25 pm

If you go to your local passport office (I went to Ramle) and show them a ticket, they can normally arrange passport within a day or two if you agree to pick it up in person. Even normal processing is pretty fast, much less then 10 days.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
... And when you renew, you handover your current passport, so you are without either.
Not totally correct, you can possess the old one with you but with "expired" stamp on it.

Why not renew it where you are now in the local ISR embassy?
Old May 10, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by riman
Not totally correct, you can possess the old one with you but with "expired" stamp on it.

Why not renew it where you are now in the local ISR embassy?
You sure about that? That would only apply if you went to the Misrad Hapnim physically as opposed to dropping off at the self-service kiosk or post office. That being said, the only time I've seen them give you back the old one immediately is when they cut it, making it unusable, unlike "expired."
Old May 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
Originally Posted by 2035
If you go to your local passport office (I went to Ramle) and show them a ticket, they can normally arrange passport within a day or two if you agree to pick it up in person. Even normal processing is pretty fast, much less then 10 days.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Last time I renewed my passport at Israeli consulate abroad (~5 years ago), the new passport was ready for pickup the next day (might even have been later the same day).

Apparently they make the new ones on the spot, rather than having them mailed from Israel.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk
I possess both an Israeli and British passport. My Israeli passport expires in a few months. I want to apply for a new one but the length of time it takes is longer than the time I stay in the country between flights. I know there is an express service at BG but at an exorbitant price.
So, if I go through the normal 10 day minimum application (which also means handing in my Israeli passport):
1. Does anyone know if I could just fly using my UK passport at security and the fingerprint reader at passport control? or
2. Can I apply for a new/second passport and keep the almost expired one for traveling in the interim?
You can apply at your local consulate. You don't even need to go there. You can mail them the app together with an old passport, and prepay the return postage. Email your consulate for the price of return postage. It takes around 2-4 weeks to get the new passport. That's at least my experience with San Francisco consulate.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I renewed in BKK. It took two hours as I didn't have a pic with me.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Leaving with a foreign passport

As of June 1 2017 all new Israeli passports are Biometric passports. It takes 10 days to get such a passport. As I work abroad and needed to leave the country before getting my new passport they gave me a permit to leave on my foreign passport. It was not hard to get, but you will need a valid foreign passport and you will need to speak to someone with authority and not with any misrad hapnim clerk. (I got the permit from the menahelet machleket darkonim)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.