Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tus Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Tus Airways

Tus Airways

This is my mini Trip report of TUS Airways on my recent flight LCA - HFA.
The airline, based in Cyprus, have apparently 2 aircraft, which they use to fly to various destinations, including LCA, TLV, HFA, RHO, and HER. More details can be seen here - http://tusairways.com/About-Us/company-profile
I needed to get from Larnaca to Jerusalem, and flights to TLV were a bit expensive on the date I needed. So I decided to book this TUS Airways flight from Larnaca to Haifa, giving me the oppurtunity to try out this new airline, and also see HFA airport.

Booking:

Flight costed 79 Euros.
Booked online, on the TUS website. You can tell clearly that it is a new, small and undeveloped airline. The payment transfers you to Worldpay, and yes, you can pay with Amex. After payment, it transfers you back, and you receive your confirmation email, which has a PNR code of 8 digits - combination of letters and numbers. On the confirmation, it says to please print out and take to the check-in desk (but in reality you can use your phone, as long as you have the PNR, but even that you only need for rare situations in case they cant find your reservation)
On kayak.com, it seemed that it was some sort of codeshare or some connection with Hahn Air systems, as a different airline, I'm not sure exactly what airline that is, or maybe its just a booking system.

Check in:

No online check-in.
There is 1 check in desk for all the TUS flights. That day, there was I think 2 flights to TLV, 3 to HFA, and 1 to Rhodes.
1 day before the flight, I received another email titled PNR and ticket information, so I quickly glanced at it, and ignored it.
Anyway, I arrive into LCA airport at 10:30am to catch the flight leaving at 11:45, and the agent says, sorry your flight has closed. I expressed amazement as the flight was scheduled for 11:45 , she says no, it's 11:00.
I double checked that last email I received the day before and it turns out that it said to please note changes to the flight times... etc. So they said they would re-book me on the next flight, free of charge. I asked if I could be booked on the TLV flight, they said unfortunately not. Next HFA flight was 3 hours later. About 15 minutes later I get the email, stating my new flight times, at 13:45 arriving HFA 14:30.
I bit I go later to the check in desk, the woman checks me in, and prints my boarding pass, and I start walking off. I glance at the boarding pass, it says TLV on it, with the TLV flight number leaving at 12:45. I went back to the desk, and asked - am I going to TLV or HFA, they looked it up, ripped up my B pass, and gave me the new one, it said HFA. I said "no, I prefer to go to TLV" they said, no you're going to HFA.
I don't know how such a mistake happened - very strange. Something perculiar with their undeveloped system I guess. I wonder what would have happened if I would have attempted to board the TLV flight.

Flight:

Bussed to the plane. Seat config 1-2, 11 rows (rows 2 till 12), plus one for the cabin crew. Cabin crew was a total of one woman, in a T-shirt and trousers (pants), with a badge saying TUS airways with her name.
She did the safety demonstration herself, with no microphone, just speaking loud.
Seat selection is first come first served, meaning no seat allocation.
After take-off water was handed out, along with a biscuit (cookie) . Quite bumpy at beggining and end. Landing in HFA, very nice views. Seats quite hard. I'm quite tall, so had to bend down till I got to my seat. overhead lockers very small, so no regular sized hand luggage.

HFA airport:

HFA is a laugh.
You walk down the aircraft steps, go through 2 doors, and there is a booth with 2 people for passports. The flight was pretty full, so there was a queue for passports, and it was slow, even though most were Israelis. I was last - it took about half hour. Then is customs, telling most people to put case through scanner, then 2 more metres and you are out the airport.

Gate: (the woman turned away when she saw me taking a pic)

Boarding:

Flight:

Haifa Airport:

Last edited by benberg2013; Jul 18, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:40 am

Thanks a lot for this review benberg2013, I've been waiting for one.
I flew HFA-PFO about 20 years ago. I really hope TUS can retain HFA as a major destination.

Shuly
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you for sharing. 25 years ago I flew SDV-LCA onboard a Cessna 172 and never been to Cyprus ever since
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
At customs, they scanned everyone's bags?

How accessible is the airport to public transportation (and I guess specifically the train)?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How accessible is the airport to public transportation (and I guess specifically the train)?
Not very. It's not walking distance from any train station and buses are infrequent. But it is a short taxi hop from the main transportation hub of Lev Hamifrats.

Shuly
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
At customs, they scanned everyone's bags?

They scanned most people's bags.
There is a bus stop outside, but i arrived on friday afternoon, and by the time I got out it was around 3.30pm so no public transport around because of shabbat.
I'm not sure where that bus takes you to.
I took a taxi to Neve Sha'anan for 65 shekel for the +-10 minute drive. There is a sign outside with taxi phone numbers.

See also - https://www.google.co.il/maps/dir/%D...2306!3e0?hl=iw

Last edited by benberg2013; Jul 19, 2016 at 2:59 am
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Thanks for this unusual TR!

I didn't know HFA had intl traffic!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know which terminal at TLV Tus uses?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Does anyone know which terminal at TLV Tus uses?
Both.
You have to check for each specific flight
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why the heck do they do both?! Is there a plan for them to eventually move all operations to T1?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I have flown HFA LCA and back, no problems. Saves so much time compared to BGN.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I have flown HFA LCA and back, no problems. Saves so much time compared to BGN.
That depends where you're located.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
You can happily arrive at HFA 40 min before flight with luggage, so I believe it will save time even for people in Tel Aviv. I waited 40 min in the security line for people with hand luggage only at BGN this week !
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
You can happily arrive at HFA 40 min before flight with luggage, so I believe it will save time even for people in Tel Aviv. I waited 40 min in the security line for people with hand luggage only at BGN this week !
Wouldn't it be better to go the "regular" lines then? From my experience the agents at the HBO line tend to be very slow.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't see how it would be quicker. Just getting there on public transportation (from me) is 2:42 hours and involved bus to the train (which is how I would get to TLV), but then transferring to 2 buses in Haifa plus a 7 minute walk from the bus to the airport. In Tel Aviv, the bus drops me right by the train and the train pulls up into the terminal.

So even if I need an extra hour at TLV versus HFA (1:40 versus 0:40), I need 2 extra hours to get there, meaning it's still an extra hour to HFA versus TLV (leaving 2:40 before versus 3:40 before).

Also, I've never waited 40 minutes at security in TLV. If HBO was too long, I'd do the interview and then go on the regular line. And if there was a long line for the interview, double back to check-in and do it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.