Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Jewish Visual Flight Rules

The backup airport to TLV is another (crazy) saga. There are two options one in the vicinity of Haifa and one in the Negev but no solution on the horizon.
VFR = Visiting Friends and Relatives.
The one in the vicinity of Haifa makes no sense at all. It is too close to TLV and will always be affected by the same weather and military conditions. Negev? What wrong with VDA ? It was and still is a valid backup.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by BATLV
Show one place in Israel with intermodal schedule sync of any kind. There is no system. So that's a lot of "if"s in your sentence that are not backed by the reality and for total travel time of 3-4 hours every 10 minutes have an impact on how many people select their private car as the preferred method of transport.
I don't know if it exists or not, what's the current schedule of the busses?
Either way, it has nothing to do with the *type* of bus being used
It is not a question of cost. It is a question of price. Why would Arkia cut down prices? There is no price war among carriers on TLV/SDV - ETM route. So price reduction means indirect competition from private cars ( since buses have not changed anything in pricing and capacity).
And still, it's only a positive thing for PAX who want to get to Eilat
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
The one in the vicinity of Haifa makes no sense at all. It is too close to TLV and will always be affected by the same weather and military conditions. Negev? What wrong with VDA ? It was and still is a valid backup.
There are numerous newspaper articles in Hebrew (just google it if you like) but basically there are two options: Ramat David airbase (this is the official governmental option, opposed heavily by local residents) or Nevatim airbase (supported heavily by local residents but opposed by the government). In short, the usual Israeli BARDAK
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
I don't know if it exists or not, what's the current schedule of the busses?
Either way, it has nothing to do with the *type* of bus being used

And still, it's only a positive thing for PAX who want to get to Eilat
oh, but it has. Type of the bus affects speed of boarding and alighting. Not that it matters much when the bus is stuck in traffic. Just adds to the overall lack of desire to take it.

Positive ? Let’s see how positive it will be when the traffic is down 30 percent, the route becomes not economically viable and the tax payers money will be poured to sustain it.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
There are numerous newspaper articles in Hebrew (just google it if you like) but basically there are two options: Ramat David airbase (this is the official governmental option, opposed heavily by local residents) or Nevatim airbase (supported heavily by local residents but opposed by the government). In short, the usual Israeli BARDAK
and both make no economical sense)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:26 am

oh, but it has. Type of the bus affects speed of boarding and alighting. Not that it matters much when the bus is stuck in traffic. Just adds to the overall lack of desire to take it.
But it has nothing to do with the frequency of the service
I really doubt the extra 10s it takes PAX to board makes a big factor to the desire to take the bus, let's agree to disagree on that...
Positive ? Let’s see how positive it will be when the traffic is down 30 percent, the route becomes not economically viable and the tax payers money will be poured to sustain it.

Are you saying Arkia can't maintain the route with these prices? It's anyway just a starting price isn't it?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:34 am

In under no circumstance, an intercity bus can load luggage and pax in 2 minutes ( assuming full bus). Yes, since this is Israel and people will shove their bags in any way they like, it will probably take less than 24 minutes, but it is safe to assume 10-15 minutes from pull over to departure. That, plus congestion, plus the general inconvenience of the bus will and already does turn the domestic traffic down. Arkia is now offering tickets + transfer from ETM at 84 NIS, so they seem to realize they have a problem. Now, wait till SDV is shut down and you will see how domestic numbers plummet even further. ETM is an improvement only for international visitors, but is not a justified expenditure, since it, by itself, will not increase incoming tourism significantly, as Eilat does not offer a great level of service and attractions it will continue to cater primarily to Jewish VFR and low cost eastern European tourism. Now it could be that the land vacated by ETH costs more ( I am not even sure about that - I need to see the numbers, on top of that the economic value must include the taxes to be paid in future by developers and properties to be built at the ETH footprint), but it does not make it a sound investment of public funds.
Well, I'll admit that the bus I was on was less than half full, but generally speaking, I can't remember that I've been on any airport bus which took more than 5 minutes to load, and I've been on airport buses hundreds of times. I used to work at ARN, so I've been on those buses a few hundred times.

My impression is that you think that the bottleneck is the loading of baggage, but that's not the case. The bottleneck for most buses (airport or city buses) is buying tickets from the driver. That's where the line forms, and that's what determines how fast you can load the bus. In a bus that has baggage compartments under the bus, multiple pax can stove their bags there while others with hand baggage only are in line to buy tickets from the driver. If the bus has baggage racks inside the bus, the passengers will be able to stove their bags there while others behind them are buying tickets. Buying tickets takes more time than stoving bags. So, the only thing that matters is how much time it takes to buy tickets.

Let's assume that it's a full bus with 50 passengers. A few are single travelers, some are couples, and several are families. We're probably talking about a maximum of 20 ticket transactions. Last time that I bought a ticket from the driver for my family on the Ovda Egged bus, it probably took about 20 seconds. Multiply that with 20 transactions, and you've got 6:40.

That number can be cut down if people can buy tickets in advance. I tried to buy tickets in advance at the Eilat bus station, but they refused to sell me any, which is kind of stupid. You can also do things quicker by allowing all passengers with pre-purchased tickets to board through any door. Install machines by the baggage claim belts so that people can buy tickets while they're waiting for their bags, and then allow them to board at any door of their choice. It will take two minutes to load 50 pax.

But I do agree with you that the closure of SDV is a problem.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
That number can be cut down if people can buy tickets in advance. I tried to buy tickets in advance at the Eilat bus station, but they refused to sell me any, which is kind of stupid. You can also do things quicker by allowing all passengers with pre-purchased tickets to board through any door. Install machines by the baggage claim belts so that people can buy tickets while they're waiting for their bags, and then allow them to board at any door of their choice. It will take two minutes to load 50 pax.
I'm assuming they would accept Rav-Kav?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:54 am

I'm assuming they would accept Rav-Kav?
I can't remember. I didn't have any Rav-Kav with me, so I paid in cash.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:41 am

But it has nothing to do with the frequency of the service
I really doubt the extra 10s it takes PAX to board makes a big factor to the desire to take the bus, let's agree to disagree on that...
When using intermodal connections every 5 minutes make an impact on ridership numbers. So 10 minutes certainly do as well. You have to look at the overall picture, where all of these extra minutes and seconds add 30-45 minutes to the door to door trip, pushing more people to their private cars. Again, this is only for domestic travel. Regarding international - the problem with ETM is a different one.

Are you saying Arkia can't maintain the route with these prices? It's anyway just a starting price isn't it?
Not right now, but eventually when domestic traffic shrinks further, they will not able to maintain profitability on this route.

Well, I'll admit that the bus I was on was less than half full, but generally speaking, I can't remember that I've been on any airport bus which took more than 5 minutes to load, and I've been on airport buses hundreds of times. I used to work at ARN, so I've been on those buses a few hundred times.

My impression is that you think that the bottleneck is the loading of baggage, but that's not the case. The bottleneck for most buses (airport or city buses) is buying tickets from the driver. That's where the line forms, and that's what determines how fast you can load the bus. In a bus that has baggage compartments under the bus, multiple pax can stove their bags there while others with hand baggage only are in line to buy tickets from the driver. If the bus has baggage racks inside the bus, the passengers will be able to stove their bags there while others behind them are buying tickets. Buying tickets takes more time than stoving bags. So, the only thing that matters is how much time it takes to buy tickets.

Let's assume that it's a full bus with 50 passengers. A few are single travelers, some are couples, and several are families. We're probably talking about a maximum of 20 ticket transactions. Last time that I bought a ticket from the driver for my family on the Ovda Egged bus, it probably took about 20 seconds. Multiply that with 20 transactions, and you've got 6:40.

But I do agree with you that the closure of SDV is a problem.
The loading and boarding bottleneck is the next one in line after tickets purchasing. That being said dedicated buses ( such as the one in BCN) eliminate the former, making the latter not that bad.

Closure of ETH and SDV together will kill profitability on domestic routes, increase congestion, and hurt Eilat's already not so great economy even further.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold
https://www.israelhayom.co.il/article/662625
Talk of allowing foreign airlines to compete on the TLV-ETM route to lower prices.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by nombody
Talk of allowing foreign airlines to compete on the TLV-ETM route to lower prices.
which airline would be interested? Ryannair maybe?
The point is that they will certainly leave from BGN and not from SDV
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
While that is true, it's important to remember that traffic is seldom a problem on route 90. The article above claims that traffic was a problem during Passover when "many people" missed their flights due to traffic jams. While that is true for peak travel times, it is also true for peak travel times everywhere else in the world. But people will still come because ... well, it's peak travel time.

What's more interesting is to look at the regular "bread and butter" days that are spread throughout the year.
Peak travel times don't affect the traffic at the airport to the degree that ETM has been affected because there's only 1 access point which is a problematic road to begin with.

And with trains, it's important to note that at many airports, they don't depart as often as the buses do. I find that I often choose a bus instead of a train simply because buses have more frequent departures. Also, at my local airport, ARN, quite frequently there's some accident or technical problem which leads to the closure of the railroad for several hours, so the reliability of trains is far below the reliability of buses.
Which is why choice is always best

It's why I like that TLV has the train to Tel Aviv but also a direct bus to my (old) apartment. CDG has trains but then buses that go to convenient points in Paris. Even EWR has a rail link to Manhattan but also has a direct bus to Port Authority and Times Square.

ETM - Eilat train? Good. TLV - Eilat high-speed train? Better. But the damage is done. Money spent on ETM could have served the creation of proper public transport link.
Halevai

I haven't been on the TLV-Jerusalem train yet, but the Egged bus 5 connecting to 947 at a busy junction was a total disaster. I think it's 10 years or more since the last time I did that.
The 485 bus goes from the Government Quarter to the airport via the Central Bus Station. It stops only in Hemed and Shoresh between Jerusalem and the airport, and makes 3 stops in the airport - Terminal 1, IAA, and Terminal 3.

The weird thing is that bus should have really gone through parts of the center of the city (thinking here of the airport bus I took from Antwerp to BRU that made stops at major tourist areas before heading directly to the airport).

Now, from Jerusalem, you have a train and a bus. Plus the 947 option (with 2 other lines as well), and from EL AL junction, you have either the 5 or walking if you're going to Terminal 1. Not so great for T3, but really fine for T1.

Arkia is now offering tickets + transfer from ETM at 84 NIS, so they seem to realize they have a problem.
How is the transfer included? An Arkia shuttle just for Arkia pax? Voucher for the bus?

Now, wait till SDV is shut down and you will see how domestic numbers plummet even further. ETM is an improvement only for international visitors, but is not a justified expenditure, since it, by itself, will not increase incoming tourism significantly, as Eilat does not offer a great level of service and attractions it will continue to cater primarily to Jewish VFR and low cost eastern European tourism. Now it could be that the land vacated by ETH costs more ( I am not even sure about that - I need to see the numbers, on top of that the economic value must include the taxes to be paid in future by developers and properties to be built at the ETH footprint), but it does not make it a sound investment of public funds.
This sounds somewhat correct, and the loss of ETH + SDV is a huge issue for Eilat residents who utilized those flights to work in Tel Aviv or for medical treatment, as Yoseftal leaves lots to be desired.

Good, that's a logical thing to do, why does a domestic flight by an LCC need to cost more than a TLV-Europe flight?
You're saying 84 shek is more money than a TLV-Europe flight?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Peak travel times don't affect the traffic at the airport to the degree that ETM has been affected because there's only 1 access point which is a problematic road to begin with.
Reports from Thursday afternoons and Saturday evenings say otherwise, but I agree that the access road is more of a bottleneck, combined with the checkpoint on route 90.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How is the transfer included? An Arkia shuttle just for Arkia pax? Voucher for the bus?
I do not know the operational details. But their advertisements say so,

And now this is just in ( sorry for the Hebrew link): Domestic traffic is now down 25% Y2Y : https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73...520522,00.html
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by nombody
I am not sure how smart that is. Eilat's economy needs tourist money, catering to the lowest paying public will fail to achieve that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.