Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
No. 1 on CNN's list of top new international airports.
How much did they pay for this ? Note , a few months after the operations commence - no actual photos, only renderings.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I landed today at ETM from Sde Dov. It is very nice
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:57 am

They have a complete website that lists everything there is. Similar to the TLV website
Old May 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Traffic delays on roads from Eilat cause passengers to miss flights

https://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1001284814

The travel time from downtown Eilat to Ramon airport should normally be 20 mins but in peak times during holidays can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
And taxis are refusing to do the trip during those times due to the traffic jams.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by nombody
https://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1001284814

The travel time from downtown Eilat to Ramon airport should normally be 20 mins but in peak times during holidays can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
And taxis are refusing to do the trip during those times due to the traffic jams.
As expected... No proper public transport link.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:37 am

The airport has been fully operational 2 months. Let’s show some patience as things fall into place, Ther are, btw Egged buses sounds like public transport to me.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by nombody
Are they even allowed to do that? Either way it's disgraceful.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
The airport has been fully operational 2 months. Let’s show some patience as things fall into place, Ther are, btw Egged buses sounds like public transport to me.
The mere existence of buses does not constitute a public transportation link. For these buses to link the town of Eilat to ETM they have to convenient and available to the public. Lack of bus lane between the town and ETM all but guarantees poor time performance and thus lack of true availability. The convenience of these buses is also questionable as a proper airport link bus has to allow rapid alighting and boarding with bags. Did Egged or any other company invest in such buses or do they use their regular IC buses where pax have to stow the luggage first? Or low floor urban buses that do not fit the task at hand?
Old May 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Are they even allowed to do that? Either way it's disgraceful.
It is unlawful for the taxi driver to refuse a passenger getting into the taxi. They may refuse to take an advance booking.
That being said the enforcement of this in Israel is virtually inexistent.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BATLV
It is unlawful for the taxi driver to refuse a passenger getting into the taxi. They may refuse to take an advance booking.
That being said the enforcement of this in Israel is virtually inexistent.
Is it illegal also for intercity travel? E.g. lets say that a person gets into a taxi in Haifa and demands to go to Eilat, is the driver obligated to take the passenger there?
Old May 8, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by BATLV
The mere existence of buses does not constitute a public transportation link. For these buses to link the town of Eilat to ETM they have to convenient and available to the public. Lack of bus lane between the town and ETM all but guarantees poor time performance and thus lack of true availability. The convenience of these buses is also questionable as a proper airport link bus has to allow rapid alighting and boarding with bags. Did Egged or any other company invest in such buses or do they use their regular IC buses where pax have to stow the luggage first? Or low floor urban buses that do not fit the task at hand?
Why do they need "rapid alighting and boarding with bags" ? All of the buses operating from AMS airport a normal buses that operates elsewhere, even the 197 which is advertised as the "AMS to Amsterdam line" is simply a long bus with no dedicated cargo space at all.
I wonder how often there are such bad traffic jams and whether it really justifies having a public transport lane.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:31 am

Why do they need "rapid alighting and boarding with bags" ? All of the buses operating from AMS airport a normal buses that operates elsewhere, even the 197 which is advertised as the "AMS to Amsterdam line" is simply a long bus with no dedicated cargo space at all.
I wonder how often there are such bad traffic jams and whether it really justifies having a public transport lane.
That is a wrong comparison. AMS has a full scaled train station that provides high speed links to the entire country and Europe , as well as local trains. The 197 predominantly serves local communities and employees.

The story says it happens at every rush hour , that means Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings , Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings , and pretty much all July , August and other holiday periods.

This further pushes Israelis to drive to Eilat rather than fly ( which is a form of public transport).
Old May 9, 2019, 1:56 am

It isn't a wrong comparison, most of the trains in AMS are also very far from being "luggage friendly", and most hotels/AirBNBs aren't within a walking distance of a train station anyway. (and that's where 197 becomes quite useful, and many tourists are using it)
And if it really takes 1-1.5hrs 4 times a week + during the entire holiday season then yes a public transport lane should be a priority.

For your latter point, wouldn't those Israelis have to stand in an even bigger traffic jam? I don't see how that pushes anyone to drive rather than fly.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

It isn't a wrong comparison, most of the trains in AMS are also very far from being "luggage friendly", and most hotels/AirBNBs aren't within a walking distance of a train station anyway. (and that's where 197 becomes quite useful, and many tourists are using it)
And if it really takes 1-1.5hrs 4 times a week + during the entire holiday season then yes a public transport lane should be a priority.

For your latter point, wouldn't those Israelis have to stand in an even bigger traffic jam? I don't see how that pushes anyone to drive rather than fly.
It is a wrong comparison indeed. Trains are more luggage friendly than buses by design. There are tons of hotels and air BnBs around the AMS Centraal, or a short and cheap uber drive away from it. The speed of boarding the trains and their time to the center makes the journey faster and more convenient, given the 197 takes you only to Leidseplein. I have taken the 197 myself quite a few times to go to meetings inside KLM offices and cargo area. I have never seen a tourist on it - so many uniforms and people with badges - it is clear vast majority of the riders live nearby Schiphol and work there. Besides the 197 enjoys the AMS's good network of bus lanes, otherwise, it would not take you to Leidesplein in nominal 35 minutes ( actual time is more like 40-45 minutes) vs. 19 minutes by train to Centraal and another average 5-10 mins Uber ride to any central location). Take the priority lanes from 197 and it is an hour ride (at least).

The Israelis are already part of the jam - it is just that while ETH was a valid alternative to avoid those, which is now lost, more will choose to spend the time in the convenience of their vehicle rather than in the inconvenience of the bus, and if you add to that the amount of time they have to spend in the airport - for anyone living south of Rishon LeZion and relying on TLV - a car is a no brainer. Those to the north may still opt for SDV, but even then, the difference is not compelling for them to take the flight. Hence I bet the jams will only get worse until a proper public transport link is established. But that is the least of Eilat's problems when it comes to attracting tourists.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
Is it illegal also for intercity travel? E.g. lets say that a person gets into a taxi in Haifa and demands to go to Eilat, is the driver obligated to take the passenger there?
Good point, not sure about it. I guess long distance trips provide drivers with more leniency. I would not say Eilat town center to ETM falls into that realm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.