Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
I'm not sure if a discussion on Eilat's bus 15 belongs in this thread, but anyway:

Where do you get the 40 minutes from? The link says 22 minutes from Eilat's central bus station to Taba border crossing. So it's a maximum of 22 minutes. The reason why it winds through the hotel area is that it's a one-way street, so all traffic (both buses, cars and taxis) will have to go that way. From the bus stop which is nearest to the King Solomon, the Queen of Sheba and the Royal Beach (in the middle of the hotel district), it's only 11 minutes to Dolphin Reef and 12 minutes to Coral Beach. If you can take the bus from the bus stop in front of the Club Hotel, it's 4 minutes to Dolphin and 5 minutes to Coral.
This is the usual Egged BS - so in fact, you either need to connect at the central bus station ( will take probably close to an hour) or ride for at least 40 minutes to get from north to south. 22 minutes is irrelevant for anyone who stays at the northern hotels.

And the winding route for sure makes it impossible to get from Queen Sheba or Dan to the reef in 22 minutes. I challenge you to ride and time it. The winding routes are common in Israel and make most of bus travel way too long and inconvenient. Add to that congestion, Israeli driving habits and you will understand why Israelis drive ( and add to pollution and congestion).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
I'm not sure where you saw 40 minutes? That page seems to say 22 minutes from first stop to last.
As for Amsterdam trams, they are very often too crowded that you can barely find a place to stand, which in turn also create delays as they have to stop longer in each stop, right of way is actually fine except for the mess around Centraal

The every 30 minute part is the only thing that needs to be improved, maybe, depends on demand, I'm not sure what kind of incentive you're talking about.
This is the usual Egged BS - so in fact, you either need to connect at the central bus station ( will take probably close to an hour) or ride for at least 40 minutes to get from north to south. 22 minutes is irrelevant for anyone who stays at the northern hotels.

AMS trams are crowded, that's true. But so is the tube in London. Still, the most effective and quickest way to get around. the mess around Centraal will be solved, it is in planning. And you can get from place to place avoiding Centraal in many cases. Besides, there is bike infrastructure, lacking in Israel. The incentive to get people off their cars should be just as it is implemented in many European cities: a) congestion fees, b) central area driving fees/limitations c) effective public transport d) bike infrastructure. All are lacking across Israel.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BATLV
Why? What are we missing if the 1st stop is the Central Bus Station and the last one is the Egyptian border? How did you come to that conclusion?

AMS trams are crowded, that's true. But so is the tube in London. Still, the most effective and quickest way to get around. the mess around Centraal will be solved, it is in planning. And you can get from place to place avoiding Centraal in many cases. Besides, there is bike infrastructure, lacking in Israel. The incentive to get people off their cars should be just as it is implemented in many European cities: a) congestion fees, b) central area driving fees/limitations c) effective public transport d) bike infrastructure. All are lacking across Israel.
Tube/Metro is a different story, here we are comparing busses with trams and my question was why would trams be better than busses in Eilat, any of the above isn't really relevant for a small city such as Eilat
As for Amsterdam, I will take a bus every day where possible in favour of the trams, that wasn't the case 6-7 years ago but anyway that's becoming too much OT.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:14 am

And the winding route for sure makes it impossible to get from Queen Sheba or Dan to the reef in 22 minutes. I challenge you to ride and time it. The winding routes are common in Israel and make most of bus travel way too long and inconvenient. Add to that congestion, Israeli driving habits and you will understand why Israelis drive ( and add to pollution and congestion).
If you're planning to "connect" at the central bus station, you're probably right. It will take 40 minutes, because you're going the wrong way. But most people won't go to the first bus stop to "connect" to a bus that they can simply take the other way.

I'm not planning to go to Eilat any time soon, but if you can give me some miles for an award ticket, I can surely go there and time it for you! Honestly, it's at least 20 years since I used bus 15 in Eilat, because I always have a rental car when I'm there. But I've found that the times supplied by Egged are usually correct in other places, so I have no reason to doubt this information.

And, once more, the only "winding" part of this route is that they stick to the one-way street around the hotel area. If you want to serve the north hotels, there's no other way of doing it. If you would take a taxi or a private car from the King Solomon to the Coral Beach, you would have to take exactly the same route as bus 15.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
Why? What are we missing if the 1st stop is the Central Bus Station and the last one is the Egyptian border? How did you come to that conclusion?

Tube/Metro is a different story, here we are comparing busses with trams and my question was why would trams be better than busses in Eilat, any of the above isn't really relevant for a small city such as Eilat
As for Amsterdam, I will take a bus every day where possible in favour of the trams, that wasn't the case 6-7 years ago but anyway that's becoming too much OT.
Completely OT but I think I've only been on a bus inside Amsterdam once, and that was a night bus. Only tram + metro
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:50 am

Interestingly, checking the Egged web site, they have a compeltely different schedule than the bus.co.il link given by Ditto above.

A schedule for bus 16 (the return of 15) actually says 39 minutes from Taba to the central bus station. From Coral Beach to the Club Hotel, it's 14 minutes. From Coral to the King Solomon, it's 20 minutes. This schedule is probably more correct than the bus.co.il schedule. I don't know if this link will work, but anyway here it is:

https://mslworld.egged.co.il/?langua...744/47516/1/-1

There's also a timetable there for a bus number 30 from the bus station to Ramon airport. It takes 33 minutes from the first stop to the last.Meaning that if you want to go to the hotels, you need to connect to bus 15/16 at the bus station. So, for anybody taking public transportation to the hotel area, the shuttle is probably a better alternative. I'm kind of disappointed with this route 30, since the 282 VDA bus is actually going to the hotels area.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
First international flights have landed at Ramon, starting with Ryanair: https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-i...ort-1001276818
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
When will ETH close?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by LY777
When will ETH close?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/eilat-...nal-departure/

It is closed, sadly.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:29 am

And Egged has multiple new bus routes, including route 50 from Taba via the hotels and the Aqaba border to Ramon. 39 minutes from the Queen of Sheba to the airport.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by NYTA

What will they build instead of the airport ?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by LY777

What will they build instead of the airport ?
Hotels
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:07 am

Fully operational for international flights now https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-eilats-ramon-airport-begin-full-intl-operations-1001280645
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: *A
No. 1 on CNN's list of top new international airports.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:38 am

For folks who have transited through ETM - how is the new airport? Is it a nice airport to spend a few hours in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.