Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

OT: Ramon airport is being built in the Negev

Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Am flying to Eilat Feb 4 from Sde Dov - will let you know where I land :-)
Good
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hnussbacher
Am flying to Eilat Feb 4 from Sde Dov - will let you know where I land :-)
Well, it depends when you land. Domestic service will begin on Feb.4 for landings after 18:45 and from Feb. 18 all domestic flights will be moved to Ramon. International flight are scheduled to begin in April.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Well, it depends when you land. Domestic service will begin on Feb.4 for landings after 18:45 and from Feb. 18 all domestic flights will be moved to Ramon. International flight are scheduled to begin in April.
Scheduled to land around 13:15 so I guess I land at the old airport but leave Feb 7 from Eilat which will then probably be via Ramon.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:29 am

Seems to me that this airport will provide further incentive for those who live in the centre, to drive to Eilat rather than to fly. The time between airside and landside will be higher ( bussing) and another 20 mins added to the drive from the terminal to the city. So I would say the duration of the trip will be 30-35 minutes longer than before, on average. So If a drive takes 4 hours, and the total air trip duration is now at least 2:30 ex SDV and 3:00 ex TLV, more people will opt for the drive. Your thoughts?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Why didn't they build jetways?
BATLV likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BATLV
Seems to me that this airport will provide further incentive for those who live in the centre, to drive to Eilat rather than to fly. The time between airside and landside will be higher ( bussing) and another 20 mins added to the drive from the terminal to the city. So I would say the duration of the trip will be 30-35 minutes longer than before, on average. So If a drive takes 4 hours, and the total air trip duration is now at least 2:30 ex SDV and 3:00 ex TLV, more people will opt for the drive. Your thoughts?
I think the use cases are different, each of the options have pros and cons, and another 30 minutes added to the flight time is not a big factor in my opinion, but it isn't just the added time, it's also the added costs/convenience.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
They should have kept the old airport for domestic flights and Ramon would be for intl flights
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
I think the use cases are different, each of the options have pros and cons, and another 30 minutes added to the flight time is not a big factor in my opinion, but it isn't just the added time, it's also the added costs/convenience.
To what different use cases do you refer?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why didn't they build jetways?
Because they have misplanned and had a limited budget, and because they do not put the passenger convenience anywhere the top of their priorities list.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:11 am

I can't speak for Ditto, but in my personal opinion, people that fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat today don't do so because it's quicker than going there by car. Because even today, the entire trip from your home in Gush Dan until you've finally arrived at your Eilat hotel is almost the same as going there by car. My guess is that some people may fly because they don't have a car, or because of the convenience of flying. Sitting four hours straight in a tiny car may not be everybody's cup of tea. For most Eilat hotels, ETM will add another 15 minutes to a taxi compared to ETH. If you want to rent a car, flying into ETM may even be quicker than ETH because there will be car rental companies in the aiport itself.
Ditto likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
I can't speak for Ditto, but in my personal opinion, people that fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat today don't do so because it's quicker than going there by car. Because even today, the entire trip from your home in Gush Dan until you've finally arrived at your Eilat hotel is almost the same as going there by car. My guess is that some people may fly because they don't have a car, or because of the convenience of flying. Sitting four hours straight in a tiny car may not be everybody's cup of tea. For most Eilat hotels, ETM will add another 15 minutes to a taxi compared to ETH. If you want to rent a car, flying into ETM may even be quicker than ETH because there will be car rental companies in the aiport itself.
Exactly that, flying is *usually* more convenient since you don't have to drive yourself, you don't have to be stuck in traffic etc. etc.
For renting a car actually ETH was very easy as the rental companies are across the road, I did it a couple of times when visiting Israel, i.e. return a rental in TLV, fly to ETH and rent a car there, but I'm hardly the usual "tourist" that comes to the north beach hotels, I would usually stay at a cheap hotel in town and drive to the south beach to dive so having a car is very handy and my choice of whether to fly & rent a car or drive all the way was mostly around flexibility & price, how long it took wasn't a big factor.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
Israelis look at price and convenience. ETM does not add 15 munites - it adds at least 45 minutes: ground taxi time can be longer, you need to be bussed to the terminal, the terminal is bigger and walk time airside to landside is longer, the travel time once in taxi is 20 minutes on top of what used to be in ETH.

The air travel is not self-controllable, while the car trip is. There is nothing more convenient in flying such a short leg added all of the hassle and inconvenience of the domestic Israeli airports ( SDV, TLV1).

By the way, more cars in Eilat, given the lack of proper public transport will hurt the town, add congestion, which may, in turn, become an incentive for air travel despite its inconvenience.

Let's speak in a year or so when we see the loads and profitability of the carriers on TLV-ETM ( SDV as long as remains open still has certain advantages).
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:43 am

Exactly that, flying is *usually* more convenient since you don't have to drive yourself, you don't have to be stuck in traffic etc. etc.
For renting a car actually ETH was very easy as the rental companies are across the road, I did it a couple of times when visiting Israel, i.e. return a rental in TLV, fly to ETH and rent a car there, but I'm hardly the usual "tourist" that comes to the north beach hotels, I would usually stay at a cheap hotel in town and drive to the south beach to dive so having a car is very handy and my choice of whether to fly & rent a car or drive all the way was mostly around flexibility & price, how long it took wasn't a big factor.
This is mostly applicable to foreign visitors. I am primarily writing about domestic travel.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:03 am

This is mostly applicable to foreign visitors. I am primarily writing about domestic travel.
Why? Do you think that the added 30 minutes or so plays a bigger role in the decision of Israelis about whether to fly or drive any more than it plays a role in a "foreign visitor" decision?

Israelis look at price and convenience. ETM does not add 15 munites - it adds at least 45 minutes: ground taxi time can be longer, you need to be bussed to the terminal, the terminal is bigger and walk time airside to landside is longer, the travel time once in taxi is 20 minutes on top of what used to be in ETH.
Seems to me that this airport will provide further incentive for those who live in the centre, to drive to Eilat rather than to fly. The time between airside and landside will be higher ( bussing) and another 20 mins added to the drive from the terminal to the city. So I would say the duration of the trip will be 30-35 minutes longer than before, on average?
Which one is it, 30 or 45 minutes?
The distance airport to the city entrance is 18KM, assuming the taxi drivers only drive 90 and no congestion that's 12 minutes, from there they skip the "city center" and go on the hotels road so travel time to most north beach hotels from that point should be roughly the same.
The air travel is not self-controllable, while the car trip is. There is nothing more convenient in flying such a short leg added all of the hassle and inconvenience of the domestic Israeli airports ( SDV, TLV1).
What's so inconvenient about SDV/TLV 1?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:09 am

Why? Do you think that the added 30 minutes or so plays a bigger role in the decision of Israelis about whether to fly or drive any more than it plays a role in a "foreign visitor" decision?

Which one is it, 30 or 45 minutes?
The distance airport to the city entrance is 18KM, assuming the taxi drivers only drive 90 and no congestion that's 12 minutes, from there they skip the "city center" and go on the hotels road so travel time to most north beach hotels from that point should be roughly the same.

What's so inconvenient about SDV/TLV 1?
Indeed there is a difference in what 30 minutes do to a 4 hours door to door trip and to an 8 hours trip door to door, given not only the total time but also the mere existence of the driving option, which does not exist for those who fly into ETM from Europe.

The drive time from the terminal to a typically located hotel ( Queen of Sheba) is 25 minutes at no congestion. Google/Waze it. Your assumption on lack of congestion is not based on anything and is, I believe, wrong, certainly on weekends. So 35-45 minutes drive is something that will be typical on weekends. Add the extra time of taxiing, bussing and terminal walking and there you go 30 to (even more than!) 45 minutes difference in time on arrival compared to ETH.

Re inconvenience in SDV/TLV1 I mean the mere time spent ( and you have to spend it there for security etc.) in these no-frills facilities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.