EL AL business class

Old Mar 14, 16, 4:28 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by hnussbacher View Post
Can anyone indicate what type of BC seats are in TLV-LAX?
TLV-LAX is only the 777 with "flat beds".
Old Mar 15, 16, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex reward points and star alliance
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
ElAl phone agents are not very good, you won't be surprised they don't what seats are in business class.
All the flights to JFK and EWR are flat and not angled. They are still very bad.
The problem is if they change to a chartered aircraft, then you get really bad seats. It's hard to know in advance if you will get that, it depends on the situation with the dispute between Elal and the spoiled brat pilots.
Old Mar 15, 16, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

So I am still confused by some of your posts. Is JFK to TLV truly flatbed? Is EWR still flat angle? Hubby and I both have bad backs and we need flatbed. Also, any thoughts on selling the Matmid points if not flatbed on flip your miles or another broker. I have never done that but if not flatbed will take another carrier with star alliance, like United. We really wanted the strobg security that El Al has and I am also Jewish, so wanted to support the national carrier of Israel, but this airline gave me bad info. This was on my bucket list after retirement, kind of a heritage private tour, and I have travelled all over the world on biz, but this is one PITA to book a biz class seat, flatbed! Oh, vey!
Old Mar 15, 16, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

I need more info as OP I asked about JFK and EWR flatbed to TLV

Originally Posted by Hemy View Post
So I am still confused by some of your posts. Is JFK to TLV truly flatbed? Is EWR still flat angle? Hubby and I both have bad backs and we need flatbed. Also, any thoughts on selling the Matmid points if not flatbed on flip your miles or another broker. I have never done that but if not flatbed will take another carrier with star alliance, like United. We really wanted the strobg security that El Al has and I am also Jewish, so wanted to support the national carrier of Israel, but this airline gave me bad info. This was on my bucket list after retirement, kind of a heritage private tour, and I have travelled all over the world on biz, but this is one PITA to book a biz class seat, flatbed! Oh, vey!
Old Mar 15, 16, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
ElAl phone agents are not very good, you won't be surprised they don't what seats are in business class.
All the flights to JFK and EWR are flat and not angled. They are still very bad.
The problem is if they change to a chartered aircraft, then you get really bad seats. It's hard to know in advance if you will get that, it depends on the situation with the dispute between Elal and the spoiled brat pilots.
I wrote another post as I am still confused. Some folks are talking LAX which is useless to me. Have you personally flown out of EWR and JFK and you are positive they are truly flatbed. If they are, what makes them so bad? I am almost afraid to ask--hubby and I both have bad backs. The last biz trip I took before G retiring was Singapore airlines n biz to Asia and I am not expecting anywhere near that😂😂😂
Old Mar 15, 16, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Why don't you just make your life easy and fly DL or UA? They both have lie flat seats and good service. LY is a joke compared to them.
Old Mar 15, 16, 3:50 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz Five Star Gold
Hemy:
Any LY operated flight utilizing a 772 or 744 aircraft will have 180-degree lie flat seats in Business Class. The layout on both aircraft is 2-3-2, hence no direct aisle access for all seats. However, that means you + spouse sit together. The hard product is sub=par compared to the competition, but its really not that bad, certainly far from catastrophic. The big plus is that El Al's soft product in Business Class - the service provided by the flight attendants - is outstanding. In the past year I have flown USA to TLV with El Al, Delta, United and American (AA just dropped out) - and El Al's inflight "soft" service beats the competition. The seat/bed on LY isn't as advanced/comfortable - but you'll be flat and will be able to get a good night's rest.
Old Mar 15, 16, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Why don't you just make your life easy and fly DL or UA? They both have lie flat seats and good service. LY is a joke compared to them.
I have 8,000 points in Matmid, but I am at the point that I maysell to a ticket broker. It also looks like from my phone call today they never credited back my miles in Matmid when we cancelled a trip last year, which is unbelievable. That is a huge number of points and they basically said to email a woman by the name of Gracie in NY who will decide if I get my points reinstated since I am supposed to pay 150 dollars per ticket for reinstating my miles. Really, they to,d me automatically credits to my account since we did not fly. They are the worst airline and I have not even flown them. I should of gone with my gut and used my miles on Unitd from the Star alliance. Their customer service on the ground is horrendous and it was almost a bother to answer my question. I am enraged and I am looking for the head of NYC to call as if those miles are not reinstated, as I transferred 390k points from Amex to Matmid and to lose to lose them and I will go postal! If anyone knows who I can contact by phone or email that is in a high position of authority, I would really appreciate it.
Old Mar 15, 16, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 8,000 points in Matmid, but I am at the point that I maysell to a ticket broker. It also looks like from my phone call today they never credited back my miles in Matmid when we cancelled a trip last year, which is unbelievable. That is a huge number of points and they basically said to email a woman by the name of Gracie in NY who will decide if I get my points reinstated since I am supposed to pay 150 dollars per ticket for reinstating my miles. Really, they to,d me automatically credits to my account since we did not fly. They are the worst airline and I have not even flown them. I should of gone with my gut and used my miles on Unitd from the Star alliance. Their customer service on the ground is horrendous and it was almost a bother to answer my question. I am enraged and I am looking for the head of NYC to call as if those miles are not reinstated, as I transferred 390k points from Amex to Matmid and to lose to lose them and I will go postal! If anyone knows who I can contact by phone or email that is in a high position of authority, I would really appreciate it.
Believe me, if you go up the chain at El Al, you won't be impressed with their answers.

So use you points for a couple C tickets and be done with it. Dealing with a points broker is against the rules and if they catch you, they'll whack the tickets and you'll be SOL.
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Hemy do it very simple - if you're coming from closer to EWR, fly UA. If you're coming from closer to JFK, fly DL. Either way, you'll be guaranteed flat bed seating. With DL, you'll get unrestricted aisle access. With UA, you can do that with the middle seats and it's a pair to fly together.

No need to feel you must support the national carrier. LY has been privatized, and better they learn from competition.
Old Mar 16, 16, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I am going to use my star alliance points for United if El Al does not reinstate my points into Matmid. What burns me though is that I transferred my hard earned almost 400k points into Matmid. Lesson learned if I lose all the Matmid points!! After retiring we moved from NJ to Charlotte, nc so I know EWR like the back of my hand so United it is for Israel on a comfortable flatbed. I wish Turkish airlines flew non stop from NY--l love that airline.
Old Mar 16, 16, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone, I am going to use my star alliance points for United if El Al does not reinstate my points into Matmid. What burns me though is that I transferred my hard earned almost 400k points into Matmid. Lesson learned if I lose all the Matmid points!! After retiring we moved from NJ to Charlotte, nc so I know EWR like the back of my hand so United it is for Israel on a comfortable flatbed. I wish Turkish airlines flew non stop from NY--l love that airline.
TK doesn't even have lie flat in J.
Old Mar 16, 16, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Smile

I want to thank everyone for being so helpful!
I just got off the phone with ELAL and I have to say the second rep today that I spoke to was nothing short of amazing and straightened the whole point redemption into my Matmid account with her supervisor, while I was on the phone!! I give credit where credit is due and we are flying first class R/T on flat beds from JFK at the end of October--thank God!! Our backs could not handle the angle flat seats in biz class of 170 degrees. It was worth upgrading with more points and paying some extra money as it is a bucket list trip for us.
Again, I really appreciate everyone's input!
Old Mar 17, 16, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
TK doesn't even have lie flat in J.
Really?

I thought most of their long haul fleet does have lie flat, expect for the older A330s/A340s.
Old Mar 17, 16, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Really?

I thought most of their long haul fleet does have lie flat, expect for the older A330s/A340s.
Of course they do.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...a-to-istanbul/

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/02...usiness-class/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tanbul-flight/

Last edited by benberg2013; Mar 17, 16 at 5:26 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: