Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Return Trip - No Show Inbound Leg

Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Looking to book a oneway flight from Europe to TLV (must be on LY). Since the cost of such tickets is so expensive I consider buying a return ticket and simply do not show up for the inbound leg. Would there be any problem with that given LY practices and rules?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
What could you lose? Booking the return for more than a few dayts later would also allow you to definitely get the points from the outbound.

Originally Posted by ophir_mm
given LY practices and rules

What do you mean by this?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold
What I did once when I needed only a one way to MXP, I did a "return from other destination" and I chose to come back from Moscow or Athens or something like that and it lowered the ticket price from the regular round trip. And then I just never showed up for the return flight.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benberg2013
What do you mean by this?
Thanks; I am not sure I guess I am under the impression of the BA ex-EU discussions about missing the last leg but this is definitely not the case here. That said here too the customer is doing something which is not straightforward. What I don't understand is why would someone ever buy a one way ticket if s/he can bu a return trip for half the price

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Feb 3, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nombody
What I did once when I needed only a one way to MXP, I did a "return from other destination" and I chose to come back from Moscow or Athens or something like that and it lowered the ticket price from the regular round trip. And then I just never showed up for the return flight.
^

I wonder if it could be done when the outbound is from Europe to TLV. I also hope there won't be a problem if I use an Israeli CC to purchase this ex-EU ticket...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
What I don't understand is why would someone ever buy a one way ticket if s/he can but a return trip for half the price
Because they're not as clever as us dudes on FT.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Would there be any problem with that given LY practices and rules?
What could you lose? Booking the return for more than a few days later would also allow you to definitely get the points from the outbound. What do you mean by this?
Thanks; I am not sure
All I could think of was that someone told me that if someone misses too many flights, his name gets flagged up as a security alert.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Because they're not as clever as us dudes on FT.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: *A
As a one off there is certainly no problem. Even BA couldn't/wouldn't penalize you for skipping the final of an ex-EU.
The reason for this pricing is that the OW fare is flexible. Your cheap return is not.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sds1493
As a one off there is certainly no problem. Even BA couldn't/wouldn't penalize you for skipping the final of an ex-EU.
The reason for this pricing is that the OW fare is flexible. Your cheap return is not.
Correct; thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:57 am
Suspended

One other idea I had if wanting to buy a cheap one way ticket rather than an expensive one way or round trip is, to book an award ticket, and buy the points from elal for a dollar each. This works even when having zero points balance in your account.

For example:

TLV-LHR 17th FEB -

One Way = $880 ,

Round trip (returning 22nd Feb) = $463

One Way Award ticket = 215 points + $88 taxes, so you would pay $215 for the points, and $88 = $302.

Another example:

London - TLV 17th Feb:

One Way = 435 Pounds.

Round Trip (returning 22nd Feb) =196+128=324 Pounds.

One Way award ticket = 215 points+150 Pounds taxes, so $215 (around 145 Pounds) + 150 = 295 Pounds.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
215 to LHR is a cheap award ticket
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer
215 to LHR is a cheap award ticket
It's the winter sale. I am paying 165 each way as a Flycard holder.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
If you are going to miss the outbound , i would still call a few hours after the flight and say that you missed the flight and just booked on another airline. Call and make sure they didnt drop the whole reservation and notify that you are still planning to fly the return.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ly787
If you are going to miss the outbound , i would still call a few hours after the flight and say that you missed the flight and just booked on another airline. Call and make sure they didnt drop the whole reservation and notify that you are still planning to fly the return.
Thanks; it is the opposite. i.e., dropping the inbound. Of course that if one does not show for the outbound the inbound would be cancelled.

BTW I still do not understand why airlines do not offer one way tickets that are not fully flexible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.