Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

King David Lounge access for Star Alliance Gold members

King David Lounge access for Star Alliance Gold members

Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not sure how it works with other Amex cards that don't provide direct lounge access but provide PriorityPass for free. I have a card that a specific benefit of the Amex card is free access to the Dan (and Dan+).
Do they swipe that amex card and american express see that you entered and its automatically registered as free entrance, or do they just nod you in upon sight of the card?
If there is no swiping involved, then maybe i'll get in as well, but if they swipe it, i wouldn't want to try, as i don't think its included in my card, so i may get charged on the card for a lounge access fee.

I remember once i went into the Dan lounge, and just showed the lady my Star Alliance Gold card, and she nodded me in (without swiping it). However, I once emailed the dan lounge to ask how the lounge works (with Star Alliance) - do they charge "Star Alliance" a certain fee per month, and allow access to any Star alliance gold member, (and presumably any airline in Star alliance would pay "Star Alliance" a certain amount for every member they make gold) - according to this way of understanding, it would make sense not to swipe Star alliance gold cards upon entry - because the dan don't get paid per entry. However, the Dan Lounge replied to me that they swipe the gold card (or silver on others like BA) and they charge the airline for each entrance, which would mean that if they did not swipe the card, the dan would technically be losing money.

(In my story, I had already previously been into the lounge and was just returning back a bit later, so there was no "chashash gezel" from the fact they didn't swipe (unless if you leave and come back in, the policy is to charge the airline again which I really wouldn't think is the case!)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Do they swipe that amex card and american express see that you entered and its automatically registered as free entrance, or do they just nod you in upon sight of the card?
If there is no swiping involved, then maybe i'll get in as well, but if they swipe it, i wouldn't want to try, as i don't think its included in my card, so i may get charged on the card for a lounge access fee.

I remember once i went into the Dan lounge, and just showed the lady my Star Alliance Gold card, and she nodded me in (without swiping it). However, I once emailed the dan lounge to ask how the lounge works (with Star Alliance) - do they charge "Star Alliance" a certain fee per month, and allow access to any Star alliance gold member, (and presumably any airline in Star alliance would pay "Star Alliance" a certain amount for every member they make gold) - according to this way of understanding, it would make sense not to swipe Star alliance gold cards upon entry - because the dan don't get paid per entry. However, the Dan Lounge replied to me that they swipe the gold card (or silver on others like BA) and they charge the airline for each entrance, which would mean that if they did not swipe the card, the dan would technically be losing money.

(In my story, I had already previously been into the lounge and was just returning back a bit later, so there was no "chashash gezel" from the fact they didn't swipe (unless if you leave and come back in, the policy is to charge the airline again which I really wouldn't think is the case!)
I've had different experiences. Regarding the Amex, there is already agreements between a number of Israeli Amex cards and the Dan Lounge (on top of any other agreements they may have with PriorityPass or the like). In those cases, they swipe the card, and the entry is free.

Regarding *G, I've never once shown my card. As long as I'm *G or I'm flying F/C, I get a voucher to provide at check-in for the lounge.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hi,

as a united 1k on economy are the only lounges av to me in tel aviv the dan and dan +?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Dan, yes. Dan+ apparently it depends on the time and agent
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
And only when flying star alliance.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Can I take a guest flying on a different United flight?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As I fly BA use dan+ often. Difference to dan- is marginal. Both are embarrassments to the term ' lounge.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by seaskybound
As I fly BA use dan+ often. Difference to dan- is marginal. Both are embarrassments to the term ' lounge.
Well then you are lucky to have never have experienced worse, because there are plenty out there that are, believe me.

The biggest issue with the Dan lounges is how crowded they get. If they weren't so crowded they wouldn't be that bad.
Unfortunately, the Dan+ lounge that used to be a haven compared to the regular Dan lounges, is now just as bad or even worse considering it's smaller.
The last couple of times I went in there, I walked straight out.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by clubman
Unfortunately, the Dan+ lounge that used to be a haven compared to the regular Dan lounges, is now just as bad or even worse considering it's smaller.
The last couple of times I went in there, I walked straight out.
I guess the D+ is worse now that both LHR flights are widebodies so more pax?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Can I take a guest flying on a different United flight?
Which flight are you taking?

My experience as a star gold member is that usualy at check-in while receiveing your lounge voucher ask them to mark down that you can have a guest, once you have that you can guest anybody.

I was once asked by the check-in lady for the guests name as the passenger has to be on the same flight, from my experience of other airports the guest has to be on a star alliance flight but not the same flight as you (I actually told her that I know he's on the flight and am supposed meet him by duty free but can't remember his name and she fell for it).
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:18 am

King David lounge is only for El Al
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by AalfA
WElcome to FT
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by AalfA
And Qantas G > Status Holders flying El AL :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.