FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   If LY could join an alliance, which one would be best? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1502053-if-ly-could-join-alliance-one-would-best.html)

mkilmo Sep 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand:

*A - too many airlines covering TLV.
ST - a weak alliance, that will bring LY very little (and LY won't bring much to it, besides headache).
OW - could enjoy "thickening" in the ME sector, with some interesting routes that may open up once LY decides connecting traffic is worth the effort (we discussed this so many times before).

Personally, I again suggest cooperation with Iceland Air. They have a good network to the US, could enjoy the connections to Asia (assuming LY decides adding capacity to the east), and it even makes sense to fly RVK-TLV-ATH (not significantly less than RVK-Europe-ATH). Add some B6, sparkle with QF/CX/9W, and LY could become a real airline (also - let Iceland air operate TLV-RVK-TLV on saturdays, and you solved a huge pile of problems for everyone...)

ELY001 Sep 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mkilmo (Post 21434107)
OW - could enjoy "thickening" in the ME sector, with some interesting routes that may open up once LY decides connecting traffic is worth the effort (we discussed this so many times before).

I agree. Also, should the regime in Jordan collapse, and or there will be a spillover effect from the conflict in Syria, RJ would be ineffective to OW. Given LY's existing relationship with OW members and the alliance's limited coverage of the region, I believe OW would be the best alliance for LY to get into. Also, LY would be able to use CX's extensive Asian network to off set TK's and LH's poaching of TLV pax heading to the far east.

BizFlyin Sep 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ELY001 (Post 21433354)
I am not the one who gave an "assurance" that EL AL would be bailed out by the government like you did in post 16 of this thread (which I copied and pasted above). I simply wanted to know what the basis of your assurance was. Oh, and yes evidence of a bailout would and should entail someone high up in the current government (with authority) making a proclamation of such, because afterall a bailout (in this context) would be done by the government. Consequently, your inability to produce such a statement made by a government official with authority to make it indicates that your "assurance" appears to have no basis outside your own thought on the matter.

Well, I guess I called it. :rolleyes: I gave you reasons. Josh amazingly enough gave you exactly what you asked for. But you won't budge unless a senior member of government goes on the news and reads your dictation. That's called an "unreasonable position."

RedChili Sep 13, 2013 12:13 am

Personally, I again suggest cooperation with Iceland Air. They have a good network to the US, could enjoy the connections to Asia (assuming LY decides adding capacity to the east), and it even makes sense to fly RVK-TLV-ATH (not significantly less than RVK-Europe-ATH). Add some B6, sparkle with QF/CX/9W, and LY could become a real airline (also - let Iceland air operate TLV-RVK-TLV on saturdays, and you solved a huge pile of problems for everyone...)

Icelandair has based their business model almost exclusively on bringing passengers between Europe and the USA. Iceland itself only has a population of 300,000 people.

I believe the number of Israelis visiting Iceland and vice versa is so insignificant that this route would only be for connections. And basically all of those connections can be much more convenient in other airports.

On top of that, all their Europe-KEF-USA connections are timed to fit into a 24-hour timeframe. You would not be able to fit TLV into that timeframe. Most departures leave for Europe between 7:00-8:00 in the morning, and they arrive back at KEF around 15:00-16:00 in the afternoon. A TLV flight would either have to leave KEF before the USA flights arrive in the morning, or arrive in KEF after the USA flights have departed in the afternoon, or spend 20 hours sitting in TLV waiting for next day's flight.

(And, by the way, RVK is the code for the village of Rorvik in Norway, with a population of 2,700.)

ELY001 Sep 13, 2013 12:15 am

Originally Posted by BizFlyin (Post 21436601)
Well, I guess I called it. :rolleyes: I gave you reasons. Josh amazingly enough gave you exactly what you asked for. But you won't budge unless a senior member of government goes on the news and reads your dictation. That's called an "unreasonable position."

You're the one who gave the "assurance" that EL AL would be bailed out by the government in post 16 of this thread.

Only a senior member of the government could give such an "assurance" for it to be taken seriously since it would be the government that would bail EL AL out. When you stated your personal assurance to me that EL AL would be bailed out by the government, I was under the impression you heard or read it from someone who has both actual and apparent authority to make such a statement and was genuinely interested learning more about it. When someone makes an assurance that involves taxpayer funds, it is reasonable to point to the politicians/government officials in charge making those statements, and not unreasonably engaging in wishful thinking.

So, does anyone have actual proof that the Israeli government would bail out EL AL by way of someone with the authority to make such an assurance doing so?

BizFlyin Sep 13, 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by ELY001 (Post 21436808)
You're the one who gave the "assurance" that EL AL would be bailed out by the government in post 16 of this thread.

You're very stuck on that word. So yes, I hereby assure you that the Israeli Government will not allow El Al to go under and vanish. I also hereby assure you, that my assurance is just as good as any assurance you will get from a senior member of government. You do realize of course that even Bibi cannot personally implement such an assurance, right? Of course you didn't.

There we go, are we done?

ELY001 Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

Originally Posted by BizFlyin (Post 21437966)
You're very stuck on that word.

Not stuck on the word "assurance" at all. You injected that word into your argument that the Israeli government would bail EL AL out. I simply wanted to know what the basis of your "assurance" was.

Now that you have admitted, essentially, that your "assurance" had no real basis in fact, perhaps we can turn to more substantive issues regarding EL AL and its future.

sbams Sep 13, 2013 11:13 am

Getting back to the topic at hand:

*A - too many airlines covering TLV.
ST - a weak alliance, that will bring LY very little (and LY won't bring much to it, besides headache).

Sounds like a personal wish-list, not exactly based on any reality.

How good is the Icelandair network? No signs of any alliance. Exactly the same goes for LY (connections to Asia: 4 destinations... looks fairly poor to me). And then you call SkyTeam a weak Alliance! And what kind of cultural and/or commercial synergies would you expect from this co-operation?

BizFlyin Sep 14, 2013 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ELY001 (Post 21439223)
Not stuck on the word "assurance" at all. You injected that word into your argument that the Israeli government would bail EL AL out. I simply wanted to know what the basis of your "assurance" was.

Now that you have admitted, essentially, that your "assurance" had no real basis in fact, perhaps we can turn to more substantive issues regarding EL AL and its future.

It has quite a basis, one you've chosen to ignore in this thread. I believe that stands on it's own. I realize people piled on to you a bit in the other thread; but that's not a very good reason for bizarrely ignoring everything everyone puts forth for your consideration in others.

yosithezet Sep 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ELY001 (Post 21434375)
I agree. Also, should the regime in Jordan collapse, and or there will be a spillover effect from the conflict in Syria, RJ would be ineffective to OW.

EgyptAir seems to be doing ok. How would RJ become ineffective?

Originally Posted by ELY001 (Post 21436808)

So, does anyone have actual proof that the Israeli government would bail out EL AL by way of someone with the authority to make such an assurance doing so?

The proof is in knowing how our government works. We know how the minds and hearts of the people work and thus every Israeli here will give you the same assurance. When the is a war, other airlines may stop flights but EL AL will continue to fly. At the end of the day, when things are really going to pot, we come together. This is what will happen should LY be on the brink of collapsing. When I say collapsing, I don't mean needing an infusion of cash, needing to find someone like yourself to take over, but rather get to the point where they would need to cease operating flights. The Israeli government will not let that happen. We don't need the government to make such a statement as this is something that we all know not in our minds or hearts, but in our bones.

chinatraderjmr Sep 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 21430388)
My Brother in law told me about some Arkia or other type of charter flights either to DXB or somewhere in the Gulf designed to connect to those flights (not CAI) - anyone ever heard about those?

NO WAY - Besides the fact that these countries are all "technically" at war with Israel, LY and Arkia have a hard enough tie with security at the few muslim countries they do / can fly to (Cairo, etc) You wont see a Star of David any time soon on the tarmac in the USE, Qatar, etc

The point I was making was strictly paperwork - a big diffrerence between LY issuing a ticket with 1 EK segment on it then an EK flight on the ground in DXB

yosithezet Sep 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 21446456)
NO WAY - Besides the fact that these countries are all "technically" at war with Israel, LY and Arkia have a hard enough tie with security at the few muslim countries they do / can fly to (Cairo, etc) You wont see a Star of David any time soon on the tarmac in the USE, Qatar, etc

The point I was making was strictly paperwork - a big diffrerence between LY issuing a ticket with 1 EK segment on it then an EK flight on the ground in DXB

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/2439088/

It really is MH that would have a tough time admitting to working with LY.

BizFlyin Sep 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 21445019)
The proof is in knowing how our government works. We know how the minds and hearts of the people work and thus every Israeli here will give you the same assurance. When the is a war, other airlines may stop flights but EL AL will continue to fly. At the end of the day, when things are really going to pot, we come together. This is what will happen should LY be on the brink of collapsing. When I say collapsing, I don't mean needing an infusion of cash, needing to find someone like yourself to take over, but rather get to the point where they would need to cease operating flights. The Israeli government will not let that happen. We don't need the government to make such a statement as this is something that we all know not in our minds or hearts, but in our bones.

Well said.

joshwex90 Sep 15, 2013 3:40 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 21446456)

Israel is not at war with the UAE

ELAL Sep 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 21447062)
Israel is not at war with the UAE

Neither is at war xith Qatar (perhaps vice versa the situation is different).