Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

El Al is worth less than a Boeing 737

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LY Silver

Article in Hebrew: http://www.themarker.com/markets/1.1810882
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:49 am

Thanks..
Nothing really new...mostly just some info from their last qtr performance.
(The market share of flights to and from Israel dropped from 43% to 33%..which we all know will probably decrease with the EU Open Skies)

The comments are very telling..
mostly about the same stuff we say here..(poor management, no existing strategy etc) and that mgmt are hiding behind excuses ( "Competition and rising fuel prices are the problems of all airlines and not exclusive to El Al"..).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I thought LY had an excellent load factor.
Personally, when I fly LY on the CDG-TLV route, this is rare when there is an empty seat...

LY fleet has become a real mess...
Some planes are not in full livery, some LY flights are operated with Sun d'Or planes (EKM/EKR), IFE is poor even on 777s, the 767s are old and not refurbished... LY has a lot of work to do, and hopefully, they will suceed
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:42 pm

that is because the flight is full of employees friend and family when there is an open seat. so the flight is always full
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LY777
I thought LY had an excellent load factor.
Personally, when I fly LY on the CDG-TLV route, this is rare when there is an empty seat...
That doesn't mean flights are profitable.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by clubman
That doesn't mean flights are profitable.
Given the fares on the TLV-CDG routes, I highly doubt they are not profitable on that route...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by simba8
Thanks..
Nothing really new...mostly just some info from their last qtr performance.
(The market share of flights to and from Israel dropped from 43% to 33%..which we all know will probably decrease with the EU Open Skies)

The comments are very telling..
mostly about the same stuff we say here..(poor management, no existing strategy etc) and that mgmt are hiding behind excuses ( "Competition and rising fuel prices are the problems of all airlines and not exclusive to El Al"..).

What is still keeping El Al afloat is the number of people, NGOs and so on who are obsessed with the idea of LY as our beloved national flag-carrier that must be supported regardless of quality or cost.

Just today, a very prestigious Israeli organisation made El Al its exclusive travel partner for a forthcoming conference here, instead of BA as we had pitched to them to do.

This was despite the fact that BA serves all 20+ locations delegates are coming in from, and LY serves just 3 of them, that BA is cheaper and delivers a superior product in all travel classes, and that non-Israelis would rather accrue FF miles in OneWorld. And both were offering the same discounts.

So this organisation has gifted a six-figure sum to LY and possibly annoyed most of the delegates before they even arrive.

The event manager at the organisation was furious at the decision, which was made by the board, who no doubt are friendly with senior folks at LY, as always happens in Israel...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by frb98mf

This was despite the fact that BA serves all 20+ locations delegates are coming in from, and LY serves just 3 of them, that BA is cheaper and delivers a superior product in all travel classes
I have to disagree, not in Y. BA Y class is a real pain: pitch is terrible, food is terrible.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
I have to disagree, not in Y. BA Y class is a real pain: pitch is terrible, food is terrible.
I think the new A321s will see a few more brownie points to BA for their Y offering. I'd rather have the new Geven Piuma seats with personal IFE, USB port, adjustable headrests and a spanking new interior, over the assorted mostly last-millennium offerings of LY.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by frb98mf
I think the new A321s will see a few more brownie points to BA for their Y offering. I'd rather have the new Geven Piuma seats with personal IFE, USB port, adjustable headrests and a spanking new interior, over the assorted mostly last-millennium offerings of LY.
When the A321s arrive, maybe, but for the time being, both their 763s and 772s are terrible in Y. The pitch is a bit like...Arkia
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Sorry but that is nonsense.

except for some rows in the front of Y, ELAL offer the same pitch as BA and you say the food is terrible based on what? Do you usually eat the normal food on BA or kosher?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the A321s arrive, maybe
Not maybe, for sure and it's less than two months away.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by clubman
Sorry but that is nonsense.

except for some rows in the front of Y, ELAL offer the same pitch as BA and you say the food is terrible based on what? Do you usually eat the normal food on BA or kosher?
On kosher, I would anytime opt for Hermolis over Hamasbia.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ELAL
Seconded.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
LY didn't use Hamasbia ex-TLV last week in Y.

Regarding Y versus WT - BA has better IFE; LY has better service. Seats are roughly the same. LY has better food versus the KSML IMO.
BA's benefit is having WT+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.