Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY Premium Eco and cabin overhaul?

Old Jun 21, 11, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Look at this post that I have found on airliners.net:

In today's edition of "Yediot" (no link yet),it was stated that LY will introduce premium economy.
In addition the B767 fleet will get new cabins (new seats AVOD,the works).
It was also stated they hired the designer that did the NZ fleet.
Do you think that LY will follow NZ with Y+ or will it be like DL?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5178401/

What do you think guys? Have you heard something about it in Israel?
Old Jun 21, 11, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
What do you think guys? Have you heard something about it in Israel?
In Mamon (Yedioth) this morning they discussed this. They said the Premium Economy would begin by having more space and a wider recline angle on the existing seats and then get a full redesign.
Old Jun 21, 11, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
They should buy NEW long haul planes instead of upgrading 30 year-old ones.
Old Jun 21, 11, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
This is certainly exciting news, though I'll believe it when I see it.

Quick searches on Yediot and YNetnews (Hebrew and English) turned up nothing.

Hopefully, they'll include this as part of an overall overhaul of the fleet, starting with the wide-bodies. Converting F into a competitive First, and upgrading Biz to, well, the current F, and adding E+.

New AVOD systems as well. And a lie-flat C product on the 767s. That should just about do the trick, along with more competitive pricing
Old Jun 21, 11, 3:48 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
This is certainly exciting news, though I'll believe it when I see it.

Quick searches on Yediot and YNetnews (Hebrew and English) turned up nothing.

Hopefully, they'll include this as part of an overall overhaul of the fleet, starting with the wide-bodies. Converting F into a competitive First, and upgrading Biz to, well, the current F, and adding E+.

New AVOD systems as well. And a lie-flat C product on the 767s. That should just about do the trick, along with more competitive pricing
you took the words right outta m mouth, and everyone else who flies EL AL.
especially the part "upgrading Biz to, well, the current F"

Everyone knows the current F is an excellent Biz product. - its technically a A330/340 Biz class seat.
Old Jun 21, 11, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ly787 View Post
Everyone knows the current F is an excellent Biz product. - its technically a A330/340 Biz class seat.
Very good biz product yes, excellent? not sure as it still lacks the privacy you get with other Biz productscout there.

I don't get your comment about it being an A330/A340 seat...?
Old Jun 21, 11, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Very good biz product yes, excellent? not sure as it still lacks the privacy you get with other Biz productscout there.
It reminds me of CO's BF on the 772. Not private like US, AC... but if combined with an F class that affords that type of privacy, then more than adequate (close to excellent) for C. (Yes, I know that CO doesn't have true F, and it's a long discussion on the CO board, but this LY we're talking about )
Old Jun 22, 11, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
It reminds me of CO's BF on the 772.
seriously? Not the BF I travelled in just a couple of months back.
Seat is miles ahead of LY's F which again, is nothing more than a slightly enhanced LY C seat.

but if combined with an F class that affords that type of privacy
you've lost me there...
What you mean by that?
Old Jun 22, 11, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Seat is miles ahead of LY's F which again, is nothing more than a slightly enhanced LY C seat.
Indeed, LY's F seat is the same as the C seat but with more personal space and a full flat position rather than angle flat position on the C seat.

I agree that as a C seat it's not bad but also not excellent. Doesn't compare to BA's CW seat (especially if travelling solo in a window seat).
Old Jun 22, 11, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seriously? Not the BF I travelled in just a couple of months back.
CO has better IFE, but as far as specifically the seat goes, I'm happy in both.

you've lost me there...
What you mean by that?
Meaning, I agree that the current F seat doesn't afford the privacy a decent F seat should afford.

However, if the current F seat became the C seat, and a new F came along, redesigned, more F like, and afforded decent privacy, then I'm quite OK with this seat not having full privacy. That's one of the major differences between F and C.
Old Jun 22, 11, 2:08 pm

CO has better IFE, but as far as specifically the seat goes, I'm happy in both.

Meaning, I agree that the current F seat doesn't afford the privacy a decent F seat should afford.

However, if the current F seat became the C seat, and a new F came along, redesigned, more F like, and afforded decent privacy, then I'm quite OK with this seat not having full privacy. That's one of the major differences between F and C.
Going with this the current C could be premium economy and I think lots of people would be very happy. ( and more may even decide EL Al should be flown.)
Old Jun 22, 11, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't see that happening somehow, even if it would make it the best PE product out there (well perhaps on par with BD's though I'm not sure it exists anymore).
Old Jun 22, 11, 3:35 pm

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M

I don't get your comment about it being an A330/A340 seat...?
The F and C seats in EL AL are the same seats - the only difference being the C class is the 777/747 version (allowing 2-3-2) and the F is the A330/A340 version (2-2-2).
i have mentioned this so many times in the past :P
IB uses the F class in their Business Plus.
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
Going with this the current C could be premium economy and I think lots of people would be very happy. ( and more may even decide EL Al should be flown.)
The current C, while being miles behind decent C, is too much for E+. Lie-flat, (angled, but still 170 degrees,) 62 inches of seat pitch...

E+ is at minimum, a few inches of extra seat pitch, and maximum, say, 10 inches extra pitch, a bit wider, couple inches extra recline. The largest seat pitch I've ever seen for E+ was BD's, which has since been discontinued.

Can't see that happening somehow, even if it would make it the best PE product out there (well perhaps on par with BD's though I'm not sure it exists anymore).
Even better than BD's, which is no longer around.

Originally Posted by ly787 View Post
The F and C seats in EL AL are the same seats - the only difference being the C class is the 777/747 version (allowing 2-3-2) and the F is the A330/A340 version (2-2-2).
i have mentioned this so many times in the past :P
IB uses the F class in their Business Plus.
Still don't really get your comment. There are airlines who go 2-2-2 on 777s and 2-3-2 on A340s. Just say the F is not F, it's C. Not it's A330/A340 C. That's just weird
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still don't really get your comment. There are airlines who go 2-2-2 on 777s and 2-3-2 on A340s. Just say the F is not F, it's C. Not it's A330/A340 C. That's just weird
I still don't get it either.

Search this Thread