Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Which meal is better Regular ELAL or the extra Kosher?!

Old May 4, 11, 2:00 am
Original Poster

I fly from time to Time JFK - TLV usually with AA Metal from JFK to a European City, then Transfer to ELAL, what meal is more tastier the regular ELAL meals or the Extra Mehadrin Kosher meals on ELAL metal in Economy Class?!.

I think Regular ELAL Meals are all Kosher?!
Old May 4, 11, 2:54 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
All Elal meals are kosher.
The regular ones look much better than the mehadrin.
Old May 4, 11, 2:12 pm

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
Ah....oh for the days of yester-year that ELAL used to provide Hermolis meals ex-LHR...
Old May 5, 11, 8:21 pm

Flying from TLV- i didnt notice any real difference...but flying from any other location, since they might pick up some of the local airport food, those portions tend to be smaller (probably due to costs) then El Al's regular kosher stuff.
Old May 8, 11, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by simba8 View Post
Flying from TLV- i didnt notice any real difference...but flying from any other location, since they might pick up some of the local airport food, those portions tend to be smaller (probably due to costs) then El Al's regular kosher stuff.
What I find interesting is ex-EWR, the regular meal is just as good as CO's. CO uses Regal, which is a division of Borenstein, an LY-owned, airline catering company. The Regal meal is Glatt, and listed as "Mehadrin." LY, however, gets their Mehadrin meal from somewhere else. Why not just use the Regal meal for all ex-NYC flights, and not bother with "regular" and "mehadrin?"
Old May 8, 11, 6:29 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
What I find interesting is ex-EWR, the regular meal is just as good as CO's. CO uses Regal, which is a division of Borenstein, an LY-owned, airline catering company. The Regal meal is Glatt, and listed as "Mehadrin." LY, however, gets their Mehadrin meal from somewhere else. Why not just use the Regal meal for all ex-NYC flights, and not bother with "regular" and "mehadrin?"
When you say "Regal meal" under which rabinical supervision is the meal, as the basic Bornstein meal has only an OU supervision, which isn't eaten by most haredim.
Old May 8, 11, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
When you say "Regal meal" under which rabinical supervision is the meal, as the basic Bornstein meal has only an OU supervision, which isn't eaten by most haredim.
That's exactly my point, that Borenstein is not Mehadrin and Regal is. There are a bunch of hechsherim, but one that sticks out is Satmar. Why not just use only Regal, and avoid issues?
Old May 8, 11, 2:22 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
That's exactly my point, that Borenstein is not Mehadrin and Regal is. There are a bunch of hechsherim, but one that sticks out is Satmar. Why not just use only Regal, and avoid issues?
Now I get your point, I assume all those hechsherim make it more expensive.

Search this Thread