FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Which meal is better Regular ELAL or the extra Kosher?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1212036-meal-better-regular-elal-extra-kosher.html)

ual902 May 4, 2011 1:00 am

Which meal is better Regular ELAL or the extra Kosher?!

I fly from time to Time JFK - TLV usually with AA Metal from JFK to a European City, then Transfer to ELAL, what meal is more tastier the regular ELAL meals or the Extra Mehadrin Kosher meals on ELAL metal in Economy Class?!.

I think Regular ELAL Meals are all Kosher?!

Houminer May 4, 2011 1:54 am

All Elal meals are kosher.
The regular ones look much better than the mehadrin.

sn1ke May 4, 2011 1:12 pm

Ah....oh for the days of yester-year that ELAL used to provide Hermolis meals ex-LHR...

simba8 May 5, 2011 7:21 pm

Flying from TLV- i didnt notice any real difference...but flying from any other location, since they might pick up some of the local airport food, those portions tend to be smaller (probably due to costs) then El Al's regular kosher stuff.

joshwex90 May 8, 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by simba8 (Post 16336188)
Flying from TLV- i didnt notice any real difference...but flying from any other location, since they might pick up some of the local airport food, those portions tend to be smaller (probably due to costs) then El Al's regular kosher stuff.

What I find interesting is ex-EWR, the regular meal is just as good as CO's. CO uses Regal, which is a division of Borenstein, an LY-owned, airline catering company. The Regal meal is Glatt, and listed as "Mehadrin." LY, however, gets their Mehadrin meal from somewhere else. Why not just use the Regal meal for all ex-NYC flights, and not bother with "regular" and "mehadrin?"

ELAL May 8, 2011 5:29 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16347220)
What I find interesting is ex-EWR, the regular meal is just as good as CO's. CO uses Regal, which is a division of Borenstein, an LY-owned, airline catering company. The Regal meal is Glatt, and listed as "Mehadrin." LY, however, gets their Mehadrin meal from somewhere else. Why not just use the Regal meal for all ex-NYC flights, and not bother with "regular" and "mehadrin?"

When you say "Regal meal" under which rabinical supervision is the meal, as the basic Bornstein meal has only an OU supervision, which isn't eaten by most haredim.

joshwex90 May 8, 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 16347534)
When you say "Regal meal" under which rabinical supervision is the meal, as the basic Bornstein meal has only an OU supervision, which isn't eaten by most haredim.

That's exactly my point, that Borenstein is not Mehadrin and Regal is. There are a bunch of hechsherim, but one that sticks out is Satmar. Why not just use only Regal, and avoid issues?

ELAL May 8, 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 16348403)
That's exactly my point, that Borenstein is not Mehadrin and Regal is. There are a bunch of hechsherim, but one that sticks out is Satmar. Why not just use only Regal, and avoid issues?

Now I get your point, I assume all those hechsherim make it more expensive.