Channel 10 news - LY's old fleet

Old Jan 4, 11, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Channel 10 news - LY's old fleet

For the Hebrew speaking among us, here's a link to a segment from yesterday's channel 10 news, discussing LY's old fleet:
http://news.nana10.co.il/Article/?Ar...770432&sid=126
Old Jan 4, 11, 2:03 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by JohnnieZ View Post
For the Hebrew speaking among us, here's a link to a segment from yesterday's channel 10 news, discussing LY's old fleet:
http://news.nana10.co.il/Article/?Ar...770432&sid=126
"While other airlines that operate old B767's, they all undergo refurbishment of the seats before being operational. This is not happening with LY"

"...no runnning water in the lavatories..."

Here lies part of the problem. It is time for LY to find a solution for its ageing fleet and management.
Old Jan 4, 11, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

True. As discussed in the other recent thread, my problem is less with the age of the planes and more with how outdated the interior is; even the so-called new one!
Old Jan 4, 11, 2:26 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
The prgram mentines that ELAL's reponse was, that there is no new aircraft avalibale in the world with medium passenger capacity to replace the B767.

I decided to be kind and helpfull, and did some research on their behalf, and I managed to get some amazing info which I think will be very usefull for ELAL, (we'll have to keep it top secret, to make sure that other airlines don't go and buy them all!).

I discovered that on the other side of the world, in some unknown land there is a city called Seattle. In Seattle there is a company called boeing which are about to secretly reveal a new aircraft with a medium passenger capacity, which would be a great replacment for the 767, it's called B787.

So ELAL presto, problem solved!
Old Jan 4, 11, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
The prgram mentines that ELAL's reponse was, that there is no new aircraft avalibale in the world with medium passenger capacity to replace the B767.

I decided to be kind and helpfull, and did some research on their behalf, and I managed to get some amazing info which I think will be very usefull for ELAL, (we'll have to keep it top secret, to make sure that other airlines don't go and buy them all!).

I discovered that on the other side of the world, in some unknown land there is a city called Seattle. In Seattle there is a company called boeing which are about to secretly reveal a new aircraft with a medium passenger capacity, which would be a great replacment for the 767, it's called B787.

Yes and no. They had initially ordered 787s and suddenly canceled their orders with no explanation. That I didn't like. But no one seems to know when the 787s will be ready for shipment anyways, so it's not as though that can be considered a good fit. Already years ago, the 767s should've been replaced! Why not an Airbus A332 or A333?
Old Jan 4, 11, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
it's not as though that can be considered a good fit.
Why is it not considered a good fit?

They seem to have a policy of operating a boeing only fleet, anybody know why?
Old Jan 4, 11, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is it not considered a good fit?
Because it won't be ready for a while.

They have a discount (or at least had one) for buying from an American company. It's related (or at least was) to deals made with the US State Department in exchange for military aid
Old Jan 4, 11, 3:37 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life

Besides from getting the B787 Dreamliner, LY needs to seriously take care of refurbished cabins. LY might save money in the short term by operating older aircraft in its fleet, but maintenance is more costly. Besides, I would not want to fly a carrier that has dysfunctional equipment on boad (not working lavatories, AVOD,...)
Apparently, IZ is able to operate a young fleet. Then why can't LY do that.
Old Jan 5, 11, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HONcircle View Post
Besides from getting the B787 Dreamliner, LY needs to seriously take care of refurbished cabins. LY might save money in the short term by operating older aircraft in its fleet, but maintenance is more costly. Besides, I would not want to fly a carrier that has dysfunctional equipment on boad (not working lavatories, AVOD,...)
Apparently, IZ is able to operate a young fleet. Then why can't LY do that.
While I agree with you in, I disagree with your comparison to IZ. There's no way that you can compare El Al to Arkia. No justification. Completely different leagues.
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:35 am

While I agree with you in, I disagree with your comparison to IZ. There's no way that you can compare El Al to Arkia. No justification. Completely different leagues.
Do you mean to say that Arkia is much better?!

Last edited by ELAL; Jan 5, 11 at 5:38 am Reason: Spelling as usual
Old Jan 5, 11, 6:12 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
I think he means that Arkia has a fleet of just 3 jets compared to around 40 for LY
Old Jan 5, 11, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Hardly difficult to guess really...
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Because it won't be ready for a while.
So what? they could've been one of the first in line, and they could have them in the next year or two, they could outfit them with a great hard product in C (and F if they could).

But LY didn't want it; they wanted to buy some second-hand 767s and 747s. If they had kept their 787 orders they could've gotten delay compensation and avoided paying their cxl penalties.
Old Jan 6, 11, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Nor am I saying they're worse. El Al is a globally recognized brand, with an all jet fleet of nearly 40 planes; Arkia operates a fleet of around 10 planes, mostly turbo-tops, and is mostly recognized in Israel, as a cheaper alternative to get to Europe.

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
So what? they could've been one of the first in line, and they could have them in the next year or two, they could outfit them with a great hard product in C (and F if they could).

But LY didn't want it; they wanted to buy some second-hand 767s and 747s. If they had kept their 787 orders they could've gotten delay compensation and avoided paying their cxl penalties.
Yes and no. They had initially ordered 787s and suddenly canceled their orders with no explanation. That I didn't like.
(Emphasis added)

As you can see, I agree with you in principle. They should NOT have canceled their orders, and if you look for the thread we had about their decision to cancel the orders (I don't have the energy to look for that thread now,) you'll see I was upset. It was a bad decision.
My point it was you quoted was that, considering it won't be ready for a while, the 787s aren't now the short-term fix. But I want them in the fleet to replaces the 767s just as much as you do
Old Jan 6, 11, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Arkia operates a fleet of around 10 planes, mostly turbo-tops
Turbo-tops? is that a new type of aircraft...?

Search this Thread