FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Prices (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1166555-prices.html)

JohnnieZ Jan 1, 11 11:07 am

Prices
 
I have to fly TLV-NYC-TLV in C (well, I don't have to do it in C, but I'd like to).
The cheapest ticket in LY is $4,200!
CO is $1,000 cheaper and BA with a stop in LHR is $2,000 cheaper!
This is all in February, mind you, which is probably one of the slowest months of the year.

I find it ridiculous. CO and BA offer a far superior product to LY's, and still charge much much less. True, BA has a layover, but even CO which has a direct(*) flight is $1,000 cheaper.

Maybe it's because of LY's new menu? ;)


* Direct, in this context, refers to a flight that leaves point A (in this case, TLV) and lands in point B (in this case, EWR/JFK), without any scheduled stops in between.

economyman Jan 1, 11 3:34 pm


Originally Posted by JohnnieZ (Post 15560675)
I have to fly TLV-NYC-TLV in C (well, I don't have to do it in C, but I'd like to).
The cheapest ticket in LY is $4,200!
CO is $1,000 cheaper and BA with a stop in LHR is $2,000 cheaper!
This is all in February, mind you, which is probably one of the slowest months of the year.

I find it ridiculous. CO and BA offer a far superior product to LY's, and still charge much much less. True, BA has a layover, but even CO which has a direct flight is $1,000 cheaper.

Maybe it's because of LY's new menu? ;)

The cheapest BA would be $2498 if I am not mistaken - that is I-Class both ways. The cheapest LY is approx. $3400 for W-class both ways so the difference between the two lowest prices is approx. $900 - it then comes down to whether you are better off paying $900 for a direct flight with a more inferior product. Of course that depends on you being able to book the lowest class on the dates you choose to travel which can sometimes be pretty difficult.

JohnnieZ Jan 1, 11 3:43 pm


Originally Posted by economyman (Post 15562104)
The cheapest BA would be $2498 <snip> LY is approx. $3400 <snip>

BA's price is as you mentioned; LY doesn't have the cheapest W on sale in February, and the next-cheapest one is over $4,200.

joshwex90 Jan 1, 11 4:02 pm

Here was a small comparison between CO's BF and LY's F: El Al First vs Continental Business/First. I agreed that BF should be compared to F, though ebzed felt it should be compared to C. I agree that it's ridiculous. CO is far superior to LY's C. I think it's slightly better than CW, especially on this route since it's direct vs stopover. (The EWR-LHR route, CW does have a stronger case. And BA's F is clearly better than BF.)
But it's a preference. You kid about the menu, and while it's not worth a difference of $1,000, there is what to be said about getting a true Biz Class dining experience on LY (for those who keep Kosher,) which is unavailable on other airlines.
And of course this link, LY misses the point of 'Premium' in Premium Travel, starting especially from Post 11, where ebzed does feel it's worth it to spend the money on LY premium cabins. You should probably ask him for some advice :p

gordo6 Jan 1, 11 11:18 pm

DL lowest price for C is 2600$, much lower than CO and LY lowest price which is 3400$.

joshwex90 Jan 2, 11 12:56 am

I presume you're looking at direct flights? Also gordo6, CO has a significantly better hard product than LY's C, or the current BE on DL's 744, which is what's flying the TLV-JFK route..

damaxer91 Jan 2, 11 2:37 am

DL's Business Class is less than stellar, even on the 744.

joshwex90 Jan 2, 11 2:54 am


Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 15564555)
DL's Business Class is less than stellar, even on the 744.

What do you mean "even"? Especially on the 744! But I've heard good things about their new BE, on the 77L and 764

gordo6 Jan 2, 11 2:57 am


Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15564341)
I presume you're looking at direct flights? Also gordo6, CO has a significantly better hard product than LY's C, or the current BE on DL's 744, which is what's flying the TLV-JFK route..

I know and I have never flown DL. However (based on info from the internet), I think that their 744 BE product is similar to LY business. If you ask me which airlines flying TLV-North America has the best business class seats (and not service) I'll say:
US>CO>AC+DL(ATL 777L flights)>DL(JFK)+LY>DL(ATL 772ER flights)
When DL will get their new BE on the 744&772 I'll rank it:
US+DL(JFK)>CO>AC+DL(ATL)>LY

So LY is in a big problem...

JohnnieZ Jan 2, 11 3:08 am


Originally Posted by gordo6 (Post 15564588)
So LY is in a big problem...

And that is precisely the reason I don't understand where they get the nerve to charge those prices.
I guess someone is paying; I just don't understand why...

joshwex90 Jan 2, 11 3:20 am


Originally Posted by gordo6 (Post 15564588)
I know and I have never flown DL. However (based on info from the internet), I think that their 744 BE product is similar to LY business. If you ask me which airlines flying TLV-North America has the best business class seats (and not service) I'll say:
US>CO>AC+DL(ATL 777L flights)>DL(JFK)+LY>DL(ATL 772ER flights)
When DL will get their new BE on the 744&772 I'll rank it:
US+DL(JFK)>CO>AC+DL(ATL)>LY

So LY is in a big problem...

I'm not sure I fully got that. First off, how can you include DL's ATL service? Yes that's NA, but it's a major connection. Once you include connections, why not include BA who also has a strong foothold in the NYC-TLV market?
Or were you just talking in general about NA-TLV?
Anyways, I'm surprised you rank US over CO. Have they committed the new seats to TLV or have they finished the install on the A332? If yes to either, then I agree. If not, then you need to wait until one of those happens. And why is CO better than AC yet worse than US? Don't AC and US have similar products?

But LY, even if they don't have the best seats, could feel they command a premium based on good seats plus other variables, such as service.

I still think LY needs to overhaul both F and C on widebodies, especially considering I don't see any new widebody orders anytime soon... On F, I'm not asking for BA (though I wouldn't say no :D), but a real improvement, more in line with US... As for C, too many carriers over true lie-flats in C, that it's time LY took notice. Even if not pods. And AVOD across the board...including Y

gordo6 Jan 3, 11 9:50 am

They said it would be on most flights. However, by the end of this month US will have their new class on all of the A332. So yes, I would rank them over CO.
I was writing only about TLV-NA non stop flights...

gordo6 Jan 3, 11 9:52 am


Originally Posted by JohnnieZ (Post 15564610)
And that is precisely the reason I don't understand where they get the nerve to charge those prices.
I guess someone is paying; I just don't understand why...

agreed. I have to fly to MIA by Novemeber. LY wants 3500$ (!!!) via YYZ to MIA and via NYC on the return. If I choose to take CO & LH combined on that flight it would cost me 3200$. Or to take IB for 2500$. New business first and on lufthansa I can upgrade myself to F class on the MUC-TLV route using my voucher...

joshwex90 Jan 3, 11 11:36 am


Originally Posted by gordo6 (Post 15572036)
They said it would be on most flights. However, by the end of this month US will have their new class on all of the A332. So yes, I would rank them over CO.
I was writing only about TLV-NA direct flights...

Just curious, have you flown the new UA F, and if so, how does it compare to the new Envoy suites on US?

gordo6 Jan 3, 11 1:08 pm


Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15572790)
Just curious, have you flown the new UA F, and if so, how does it compare to the new Envoy suites on US?

I have only flown UA once - in SFO-LAX Y class. However, from ics I have seen online I would say it is similar to AC new seats, but UA seats are wider...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.