Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY misses the point of 'Premium' in Premium Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

My wife (LY Plat) and I recently flew BKK-TLV in LY C-class. The flight was less than perfect, mostly due to aircraft and service issue. Please allow me to elaborate.

We found outselves on ELE, the ex-SQ plane. I know the AVOD in this plane has a few hiccups (namely, movies jump forward or backwards by a few minutes when paused, I believe). In our case, the glitch was with the screen in my seat freezing up. We notified the crew, who reset my seat. By doing so, they froze my wife's screen as well (mine never unfroze). After a few attempts, the FA said there is nothing more they could do, since this plane is prone to problems (their words, not mine). We were given the personal video players, which are less than perfect - clumsy, often falling forward, took up valuable tray table space during mealtime...

Next, since this was a long flight (11+ hours), I thought I'd do a bit damage to their alcohol stock. I had a few glasses of the Recanati chardonnay. As a reference, I can handle my alcohol quite well. I don't start acting strangely, and certainly don't cause any problems to other pax or the crew. I also know most Israelis don't drink a lot.
In any event, when I got up to use the restroom, I asked the FA who was serving us for another glass of wine. He told me that this may not be a good idea, since wine affects people differently in mid-air, and there has been cases of people causing problems in the past.

I was shocked - in over 50 Long-distance Premium class trip, and hundreds of US Domestic FC trips have I ever been told I drank too much. And believe me, I was certainly not acting drunk - this FA was simply comparing me to most Israelis I believe - or just trying to save LY money by not serving me any more.

I explained to him that I can handle my alcohol well, and that being an American, I have a larger tolerance to Alcohol than an average Israeli. I felt that I didn't owe him an explanation, but offered one anyway. He reluctently ended up serving me two more glasses, but gave me a few packets of nuts with each refill... Also, he came by with the purser later on and asked for my Matmid # as well as my mobile #, stating that LY was going to contact me later on regarding the defective IFE.

The whole experience left me less than pleased. As a Premium passenger, I should not feel guilty asking for as much alcohol as I want, as long as I handle it responsibly. Not to mention, should a passenger begin to act stupidly onboard, of all the airlines, I believe LY has enough manpower onboard to handle/restain such a passenger...

To top it all off, before landing, I asked for a cup of cappucino, and was told that the espresso machine onboard was not working...

I feel that LY has no problem demanding a Premium price for their Premium classes, but falls short on delivering a Premium product and Premium service, what a shame!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:32 pm

Have to agree with El Al here. Famous last words of people who drink are they handle their alcohol well. Most DWI drivers got into their vehicle 100% positive that they could handle their alcohol--until they killed someone! ( oops) 35,000 feet in the sky when you are wrong it makes it unpleasant for everyone else in premium class. Yes, you could be restrained-but while I am sitting near you in premium I don't want to be disturbed by people working to restrain you. BTW your anti-Israeli comments are insulting. ( and I am American)

Last edited by awayIgo; Dec 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm Reason: I need to add a sentence.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Have to agree with El Al here. Famous last words of people who drink are they handle their alcohol well. Most DWI drivers got into their vehicle 100% positive that they could handle their alcohol--until they killed someone! ( oops) 35,000 feet in the sky when you are wrong it makes it unpleasant for everyone else in premium class. Yes, you could be restrained-but while I am sitting near you in premium I don't want to be disturbed by people working to restrain you. BTW your anti-Israeli comments are insulting. ( and I am American)
+1
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:13 am

After re-reading it several times I failed to find anything anti-Israeli in the OP's message.

Moreover I fully agree with the OP - as long as a passenger acts normally and shows no signs of drunken or abusive behaviour it is not up to the crew to pass a judgement. The crew is there to provide service - something that LY should understand - especially when it comes to J and F.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BATLV
After re-reading it several times I failed to find anything anti-Israeli in the OP's message.
Well only that Israeli's can't handle their liquor...

Originally Posted by BATLV
The crew is there to provide service
Actually the primary purpose for the crew being there is for the passenger’s safety not service.
And yes, they are within their rights to restrict alcohol if they believe a passenger has over done it and are worried, but I have no idea how much the OP really drank and they may well be right in this case.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
BTW your anti-Israeli comments are insulting. ( and I am American)
Can you please elaborate what anti-Israeli comments I made that insulted you? I am unaware that I made any, not to mention that besides being an American, I am also a sabra Israeli.

This was a clear case of one FA over reacting based on what his feelings, not based on the way I was acting. My spouse was surprised to hear about the FA's reactions as well, and believe me - she'd tell me if I were acting as a drunken fool...
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:52 pm

[QUOTE=bostonbali;15435130]Can you please elaborate what anti-Israeli comments I made that insulted you? I am unaware that I made any, not to mention that besides being an American, I am also a sabra Israeli.

You more than once indicated that as an AMERICAN you could, unlike Israelis hold your liquor. It had, in my mind, shades of ugly American in it. ( we are better than others) NOW that you tell me that you are a Sabra and an American my original opinion is solidified. Why would you argue that your an American and can hold liquor better than an Israeli--when you are an Israeli!

BTW I honestly do not think one's place of birth has anything to do with how well one hold alcohol. AND I honestly feel it is within the right of the flight attendants ( even in premium classes) to shut someone down
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It had, in my mind, shades of ugly American in it.
Don't forget his cousin, הישראלי המכוער.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You more than once indicated that as an AMERICAN you could, unlike Israelis hold your liquor. It had, in my mind, shades of ugly American in it. ( we are better than others) NOW that you tell me that you are a Sabra and an American my original opinion is solidified. Why would you argue that your an American and can hold liquor better than an Israeli--when you are an Israeli!

BTW I honestly do not think one's place of birth has anything to do with how well one hold alcohol. AND I honestly feel it is within the right of the flight attendants ( even in premium classes) to shut someone down
I think he was simply saying that although Israelis tend to drink less than Americans. Not sure if that's indeed the case, but that was the point he was making. I don't think he intended malice or haughtiness, but was simply saying that he felt the FA wanted to cut him off because he was drinking more than a regular Israeli might drink. That's a reasonable, not anti-Israel opinion. (I have no idea who actually drinks more.)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Either way, the OP's point being is that in C and F, people actually pay for a premium service. In Y, people stick to a budget (which is still not an excuse to provide a rotten service). In C and F, people chose that for the premium service. If LY chooses to charge premium fare, that should also include premium service.

I don't know what would be an appropriate response, but malfunctioning IFE + dito portable players, how does LY expect customers to continue to fly with them? I know that LY is not going to be like SQ, but I'd have expected more than that.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I know the AVOD in this plane has a few hiccups...
We were given the personal video players, which are less than perfect - clumsy, often falling forward, took up valuable tray table space during mealtime...
Well at least the did something, This SQ plane is a horrible mistake someone did in EL-AL... On each flight there are few seats that doesnt work (LY01, 14/12, 1 Seat in F Class not operational).

I can handle my alcohol quite well.
And i can quite sniffing cocaine any minute i want...
EL-AL reacted here perfectly... The fact that they were aware of the amount of drinks you took should make you happy that someone truly take care of you.
BTW, They can also not accept you boarding if they think you are drunk and that is perfectly right.

To top it all off, before landing, I asked for a cup of cappucino, and was told that the espresso machine onboard was not working...
Tell them next time to reset the machine and try again, it will work, Since day 1 this espresso machine does problem (lower deck business class).

I feel that LY has no problem demanding a Premium price for their Premium classes, but falls short on delivering a Premium product and Premium service, what a shame!
No True, I was on Delta business flight which cost 2900$ vs 4400$ of EL-AL, Different product, Different service, If i had to choose which one i would like to take again where prices are the same, where i would take EL-AL.
much better for my opinion.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K

In any event, when I got up to use the restroom, I asked the FA who was serving us for another glass of wine. He told me that this may not be a good idea, since wine affects people differently in mid-air, and there has been cases of people causing problems in the past.

I was shocked - in over 50 Long-distance Premium class trip, and hundreds of US Domestic FC trips have I ever been told I drank too much. And believe me, I was certainly not acting drunk - this FA was simply comparing me to most Israelis I believe - or just trying to save LY money by not serving me any more.

I explained to him that I can handle my alcohol well, and that being an American, I have a larger tolerance to Alcohol than an average Israeli. I felt that I didn't owe him an explanation, but offered one anyway. He reluctently ended up serving me two more glasses, but gave me a few packets of nuts with each refill...
I am shocked that the FA proceeded to serve you wine after he made a judgement call that you had too much. I am sure he has seen enough passengers "that can handle alcohol" cause trouble to know better.

Originally Posted by ebzed
No True, I was on Delta business flight which cost 2900$ vs 4400$ of EL-AL, Different product, Different service, If i had to choose which one i would like to take again where prices are the same, where i would take EL-AL.
much better for my opinion.
Yes but LY does charge $4400 Vs $2,900, or a 50% premium. A premium that you were not willing to pay.

DLP
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
Yes but LY does charge $4400 Vs $2,900, or a 50% premium. A premium that you were not willing to pay.

DLP
I would pay that or even 10k for First, The problem is whoever sponsor the flight......
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by ebzed
Well at least the did something, This SQ plane is a horrible mistake someone did in EL-AL
And as you mentioned in another thread they seem to want to make the same mistake again!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
And as you mentioned in another thread they seem to want to make the same mistake again!
Do they save that much money by buying the plane second-hand from SQ? (Yes, I'm aware purchasing second-hand is cheaper than buying new. But considering all other expenses involved, plus the fact that the plane sucks!*...)

(*The plane sucking is not an economic justification in it's own right, but it could become one in the long term, but more importantly, it PO's customers, which becomes an economic issue)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.