FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Baggage weight maximum in LY coach? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1157042-baggage-weight-maximum-ly-coach.html)

dfwdal Dec 6, 2010 10:00 pm

Baggage weight maximum in LY coach?

I am flying AA from DFW to EWR and then LY from EWR to TLV. On the return it's TLV to CDG on LY and then AA from CDG to DFW.

Frankly I am a little confused about the El Al weight limits. Is it 44 pounds/bag or 44 pounds total? Or is it something else. Any help would be appreciated.

sn1ke Dec 7, 2010 12:58 am

How did you make the booking? Was it directly with ELAL, and they're using a codeshare for the US leg, or was it done in two seperate bookings?
If it was done directly through LY, then you should be entitled to 2 bags, each allowed to weigh up to 50 pounds (I'm assuming you're travelling in Economy).

Hope that this helps! :)

dfwdal Dec 7, 2010 5:39 am

The trip (on economy) was booked through El Al. The AA segments are code share.

sn1ke Dec 7, 2010 10:26 am

So you should therefore, as I've said above, be entitled to 2 pieces of baggage, each weighing 50 pounds. Check on your e-ticket/itinery - it should say so somewhere...

dfwdal Dec 13, 2010 7:04 am

Very helpful. Thanks!

amrom Dec 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Deleted

amrom Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

So can anyone also answer me please, Im booked on a AA flight JFK to LHR connecting LY to TLV. I dont know which airline issued the ticket, I will ask my travel agent at some point. But what will my bag allowance be either way? (I am a AA gold which will for sure help me with an extra bag to LHR but from there I dont know).
Also, will I be able to earn the LY segment points on aa, How will they be calculated, LY does not give by matmid, distance miles?

sn1ke Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

With regards to the baggage question - I'm assuming that you're booked through to TLV, and don't have two separate bookings. Therefore, it will work as follows:
- If you've booked with LY, then you'll get two bags for free, as described in #2 above in reply to the OP
- If you've booked with AA, and you are AA Gold, then you will also get two bags of 50 pounds checked for free (the AA Gold allows you the 2nd bag to be checked free of charge - usually this would cost $50.00)

With regards to segment points, I cannot advise you

amrom Dec 14, 2010 1:59 am

Thanks alot.
I was just abit unsure because as far as I remember the gold benefit second free checked bag is only on AA metal, so I thought the LY leg would be charged by LY, but perhaps this is not the case.

joshwex90 Dec 14, 2010 4:12 am

If the ticket was issued by LY, you'll get full Matmid points for an NYC-TLV flight. If it was booked by AA, you'll have to check with AA.

amrom Dec 14, 2010 4:17 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15445844)
If the ticket was issued by LY, you'll get full Matmid points for an NYC-TLV flight. If it was booked by AA, you'll have to check with AA.

Im talking about earning on my AA Advantage account, not on Matmid.

sn1ke Dec 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by amrom (Post 15445495)
Thanks alot.
I was just abit unsure because as far as I remember the gold benefit second free checked bag is only on AA metal, so I thought the LY leg would be charged by LY, but perhaps this is not the case.

If it's an AA ticket all the way through, booked as a codeshare, then all of your usual AA Gold benefits apply :)

joshwex90 Dec 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by amrom (Post 15445858)
Im talking about earning on my AA Advantage account, not on Matmid.

Then the opposite would apply. If it's booked through AA, you will receive regular AA miles. That means the regular miles for the JFK-LHR leg, and the LHR-TLV leg would probably be the same miles as whatever BA would give. If booked through LY, this is the earning chart: Earning AAdvantage Miles When Flying El Al