Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

El Al triples its third-quarter net income to $42.5 million

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

ATW - El Al triples its third-quarter net income to $42.5 million
El Al Israel Airlines reported net income of $42.5 million in its third-ended Sept. 30, more than tripling its $12.3 million profit in the year-ago period. President and CEO Elyezer Shkedy attributed the strong quarter to “an improvement within all segments of El Al worldwide operations, including cargo activity, which experienced a growth of almost 35% compared to the same quarter last year.”
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Thumbs up

Great news! that means some extra cash to spend, They also quote Shkedy “Looking to the future, the positive cash flow will provide a solid basis to further develop the airline.”.

Lets list, on what would you like to see Elal spend this extra cash on.

I'd suggest:
New aircraft.
Improve the matmid program (points should not expire, join an alliance Etc.
Better in flight service.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ELAL
Great news! that means some extra cash to spend, They also quote Shkedy “Looking to the future, the positive cash flow will provide a solid basis to further develop the airline.”.

Lets list, on what would you like to see Elal spend this extra cash on.

I'd suggest:
New aircraft.
Improve the matmid program (points should not expire, join an alliance Etc.
Better in flight service.
  • New aircraft, definitely!
  • Improve Matmid program, sure. (What would they need the extra cash for though, to improve it?)
  • Join an alliance - not going to happen anytime soon, though we'd all love it! (Again, I fail to see the connection to extra cash)
  • Overhaul of the seats!!! A new F on 744s and 772s (and 748s and 787s!) to better compete with US's new Envoy, BA's F... (No, those aren't the only competitors. But LY's F looks much like a good C.) C could also be upgraded heavily. And what about E+? I wouldn't mind!
  • Re-do the website!
  • And hire someone to take more interest in FT!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
hire someone to take more interest in FT!
The problem is that they officialy have somebody here (LY REP.) they also wrote to me in an email that they are very aware of this forum Etc.

The problem is that he seems to visit approx. once a year (with the amount of activity on this forum I can't really blame him).
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is that they officialy have somebody here (LY REP.) they also wrote to me in an email that they are very aware of this forum Etc.

The problem is that he seems to visit approx. once a year (with the amount of activity on this forum I can't really blame him).
From what I understand, there are 2: El Al Rep and LY Insider. The first is an official rep. 2-way problem. He doesn't visit enough, and when he does, rarely says anything substantial. (Although his last couple of posts related to B6 were a bit informative.) As a result, when he does post, people tend to bash him. Ergo, he rarely returns! As for LY Insider, I think that's just a person who works for LY and unofficially posts on FT.

Just curious, what else did the email say about the forum?

It's hard to get more activity on the forum. I agree that it'd be great, but let's face it: LY is a small airline compared to some of the more active forums, and resists change a lot more than other airlines. Change is small with them. When CO redid their front cabin, it was a major change that spawned numerous threads including a sticky; a do-over of F on LY was much more of a re-fresh than anything else. If LY started going on aggressive campaign to change that, it could become a more active forum. I'm not proposing that overnight, LY re-does their codeshares, brand new site, joins an alliance, and starts aggressively courting new fliers (from other airlines serving TLV). But it's actions like these that will dramatically increase the activity here.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Just curious, what else did the email say about the forum?
The following is the response to an email I sent them regarding a link from FT regarding some issue, I also mentioned not having a rep to answer their customers fraustration's and question's on this forum, like many other airline's have:

Dear Mr. .................

I thank you for your loyalty to El Al and for sending the link at “flyer talk”.

Although we do not have a rep. on the forum we do look at “flyer talk” in order to receive feedback from our customers.

On behalf of El Al and our President, Mr. Elyezer Shkedy I thank you for your patronage which is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
I then complained that they should have a Rep. they than responded claiming that thet do have a rep. and sent me a copy of an internal email, stating the following (Hebrew):

בוודאי שאנו מכירות את הפורום.

ב-flyer talk יש נציגים רשמיים של אל על בתוך בחברה – ....... מכיר אותם.

אנו מנטרים את הפורום על בסיס קבוע, ובמקרים בהם אין התייחסות של נציגי החברה, אנו אף נותנים מענה של "נציג אל על"

Somebody please translate (and perhaps explain too, as I'm not so sure what they mean with the word Chevra).
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Somebody please translate (and perhaps explain too, as I'm not so sure what they mean with the word Chevra).
חברה = Company (business)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they know the forum and the company monitors FT and they have El Al Rep ....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
חברה = Company (business)
That's what I know, but what I don't understand is the following sentence.
If there is no response for the representatieve from the company, than we also give an answer via the Elal Rep.

What's the deiifernce between the companies representatieve, and the Elal Rep?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what I know, but what I don't understand is the following sentence.
If there is no response for the representatieve from the company, than we also give an answer via the Elal Rep.

What's the deiifernce between the companies representatieve, and the Elal Rep?
Perhaps there other "undercover" reps, such as LY Insider who monitor and respond, and then there's also El Al Rep who is actually meant to respond to certain issues. Sounds confusing, but it's a very IDF way of doing things, so I wouldn't be too surprised.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WEll, 42.5 million! Good for them, now if they only invest $1M in the website, it might not suck.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by entropy
WEll, 42.5 million! Good for them, now if they only invest $1M in the website, it might not suck.
I'd assume even less would do the job.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

duplicate

Last edited by joshwex90; Nov 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm Reason: Duplicate Post. Please Delete!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by entropy
+1 Million! Even $100K! Or even less would be enough! (Or at least a start...)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd assume even less would do the job.
I'm sure. I mean, it shouldn't cost more than $1000 to remove all that annoying animated dreck from the home page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.