FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   How much is Platinum worth? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1144030-how-much-platinum-worth.html)

yosithezet Nov 4, 2010 3:27 am

How much is Platinum worth?

I had a status match nearly 6 months ago to Platinum. By the end of this month I need to have earned 2K points or I go back to Gold. If I do hit 2K I will get to keep Plat for a year (another 6 months?)

I have 3 legs left this month and at the end of them I'll be short by 300 points. I have a few options from what I can tell in order to earn the required addition 300.

A) Pay an extra USD 2000 to upgrade to business on 2 of my upcoming long haul legs.

B) Do a an overnight or same day mileage run to Eastern Europe in C for about USD 1300.

C) Do nothing and try my luck at getting them to extend my Plat although I'm short 300 points.

D) Forget about it as the 25% bonus miles over Gold isn't so much and at the end of the day I'm getting upgraded pretty often anyway.

So... opinions?

clubman Nov 4, 2010 5:51 am

It depends so much on the individual.

How often do you travel, and what the perks are worth to you.

How much of a difference do you see between life as a Gold and Platinum?
When you say you get upgraded pretty often anyway, I assume you mean you "were" getting upgraded as Gold, correct?

In regards to hoping they will extend your year being short - I would say you have a close to zero chance (unless you know someone...).

Perhaps if you had been Platinum for years and were caught short this time round, but you were on a "trial" bases anyway.

ebzed Nov 4, 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 15072187)
C) Do nothing and try my luck at getting them to extend my Plat although I'm short 300 points.

If you will missing 300 Points they will give you the Platinum, Dont worry
about it...

I Platinum worht it or not?, 25% points do worth...
Upgrades? as PL i was upgraded 99%, I forgot how was it to be gold... 8-)
(Less upgraded on Gold...).

ELAL Nov 4, 2010 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ebzed (Post 15072700)
as PL i was upgraded 99%

As a TPL is it 100%?

How are you doing with re-qualifying to TPL?

ebzed Nov 4, 2010 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 15072849)
As a TPL is it 100%?

How are you doing with re-qualifying to TPL?

As a TPL (And also on my late years of PLing) i stopped taking chances,
I upgrade in advance or make sure taking flights where 10 places in business are availble... 8-)

As for the Race to TPL, Situation is still bad, even get worse,
But i will survive... Our other FFs in the company going to drop from PL
to GL, I will drop from TPL to PL - Its still one level above them! :)

clubman Nov 4, 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ebzed (Post 15072700)
If you will missing 300 Points they will give you the Platinum, Dont worry about it...

Really? I'm surprised...

Someone on here (can't remember who it was...) said they were refused their PL status being maintains even though they were not that short, and they had had it for a while.

The terms for re qualifying after the 6 months status match trail period are pretty good as it is, and in fact easier then than having to gain 5000 points a year since its just 2000 points in 6 months.
So I'm surprised they would be so lenient but if they are then that's great for the OP!

yosithezet Nov 4, 2010 8:04 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15073057)
Someone on here (can't remember who it was...) said they were refused their PL status being maintains even though they were not that short, and they had had it for a while.

This is my concern as well. That said, LY called me 2 months ago to remind me that I needed the 2K. I explained that I'd have had it already had they not taken so long to approve the match. However they matched me during a slow period for travel. She said that we'd talk again as we get closer to the end of November to see where we stand. So perhaps there is some hope.

As for my travel patterns, typically end up with about 4K points per year solely on long-haul 200 point legs in Y. So about 10 trips per year. Since I've been flying out on Thursday nights to BKK rather than Sat/Sun my upgrade percentage even as a Gold has been something like 90%. One the return I also end up with something like 80%. Back when I would fly to BOM from TLV my upgrades were pretty much 0% as a Gold. I doubt that I'd have much better success as a Plat on that route.

clubman Nov 4, 2010 8:44 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 15073211)
She said that we'd talk again as we get closer to the end of November to see where we stand. So perhaps there is some hope.

That sounds a bit more promising.

I’d make sure to call her back soon and see where things stand.

Get some assurance from here that your status will be renewed, but call her enough time in advance to make sure that you still have time to do a TR if needed, and if you decide to.

LatusElAl Nov 4, 2010 2:38 pm

D) Forget about it as the 25% bonus miles over Gold isn't so much and at the end of the day I'm getting upgraded pretty often anyway.

I disagree with the reisha and am shocked at the seifa. I think the points are well worth it. But, if you really are getting upgraded that frequently, then you have a strong point.

BUT - here's another way of looking at it:
If you are getting upgraded that often, at some juncture the points catch up with you and you will be sorry you don't have those extra 25%.

All in all, as someone who is on the TLV-NYC-TLV line quite frequently, I think PL is very worthwhile and worth going a little nuts to get. Not sure I would throw $2,000 at 300 points; that I have to think about.

yosithezet Nov 4, 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by LatusElAl (Post 15075883)

All in all, as someone who is on the TLV-NYC-TLV line quite frequently, I think PL is very worthwhile and worth going a little nuts to get. Not sure I would throw $2,000 at 300 points; that I have to think about.

So what would you define as going nuts?

LatusElAl Nov 4, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 15075940)
So what would you define as going nuts?

Try and move forward a trip your planning to take after the deadline?

joshwex90 Nov 4, 2010 4:20 pm

I had a status match nearly 6 months ago to Platinum. By the end of this month I need to have earned 2K points or I go back to Gold. If I do hit 2K I will get to keep Plat for a year (another 6 months?)

I have 3 legs left this month and at the end of them I'll be short by 300 points. I have a few options from what I can tell in order to earn the required addition 300.

A) Pay an extra USD 2000 to upgrade to business on 2 of my upcoming long haul legs.

B) Do a an overnight or same day mileage run to Eastern Europe in C for about USD 1300.

So... opinions?

Just wondering: the fact that you suggest the mileage run shows you don't mind/can schedule one. That being said, why would you pay $2000 for the 2 upgrades (purely for the points) when you can get the same points for $700 less on a mileage run?

yosithezet Nov 5, 2010 1:17 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl (Post 15076146)
Try and move forward a trip your planning to take after the deadline?

Unfortunately my travel is dictated by the needs of customers so this isn't really possible.

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15076569)
Just wondering: the fact that you suggest the mileage run shows you don't mind/can schedule one. That being said, why would you pay $2000 for the 2 upgrades (purely for the points) when you can get the same points for $700 less on a mileage run?

The $2K is on an existing flight. The $1300 would be something where I'd need to take a day or two off work and figure out where to stay, etc. Much less convenient.

LatusElAl Nov 5, 2010 3:17 am

Does the $2k you write of cover 2 flights (2 upgrades) or would it be $2k for each upgraded ticket, hence $4k?
If its $2k for both, it gets you the points and guarantees that you "hit the ground running" off of these long-haul flights and hence you are more effective at work, can get to things straight away, I would think it justifiable. There are lots of companies and organizations who allow upgradeable tickets on long-haul for precisely this reason. On top of that, no matter how good your record upgrading as GL, the PL will increase your success rate. Thus, on second thought, spend the $2k, upgrade those 2 flights and keep your PL.

yosithezet Nov 5, 2010 4:33 am

$2k is r/t