EL AL LAX-TLV Y Class

Old Sep 4, 10, 1:26 am
Original Poster

EL AL LAX-TLV Y Class

I am looking at the El Al TLV-LAX flight since I live in the SF Bay Area and it would make it easier to go via LAX as opposed through JFK during the winter. Also there are many flights from SJC-LAX. I had some questions that you may be able to answer.

If I fly on AA and I check my bags from SJC-TLV via LAX do I need to pickup my bags at LAX to re-screen them at the EL AL security? If I checked my bags all the way through how do I get my El AL boarding pass? Will I need to go through the security screening at LAX or can I bypass it and print my boarding pass on a kiosk and proceed to the gate?

At TLV can I check my bags to SJC and just put my bags on the transfer carousel or drop it off at the transit counter at LAX before going to the Relax Lounge?

How much time do I need to allow on both the outbound and in bound flight for connections at LAX? Is 3 hours enough without bags since they will be through checked?

As its a 14 hour flight going and a 15 hour returning I'm assuming I get a lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks and on the return a meal and breakfast before landing as it arrives around 6:30 AM. Can I catch a 11:30 flight to SJC or should I get a 1:00 PM Departure. I may just stay overnight to visit relatives that live close to LAX.

Do they utilize the 777-200 in December/January with AVOD IFE?

Also what is the best sleeping schedule. On the outbound do I stay up for the first half then go to sleep? On the return do I sleep for the first half then stay awake since it will be morning? I will drink coffee when I arrive LAX since its morning. On the outbound I know we arrive TLV at 2:00 PM so I plan to stay up until bedtime around 9:00 PM. On the return I will stay up through the day until bedtime. I'm a good sleeper on the plane.

Will they serve wine,beer,dark beer(non-alcoholic), Digestive drinks like Baileys and Sabra on both legs? So I guess I ask for wine or beer during the beverage service. Does El Al accept AA Advantage miles and/or Delta Skymiles to earn miles?

Toda'h Rabah for the information and Shana Tova(:
Old Sep 4, 10, 2:36 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Do they utilize the 777-200 in December/January with AVOD IFE?
Hi, LY uses all their 777s to LAX, not only the newest with AVOD.
Old Sep 5, 10, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks LY777. Your post was a bit confusing so it sounds like all their 777s from LAX have AVOD? I can't wait to try it. What meals are served in Y on such a long flight going and coming? Its almost like flying LAX-SYD.
Old Sep 5, 10, 2:14 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Thanks LY777. Your post was a bit confusing so it sounds like all their 777s from LAX have AVOD? I can't wait to try it. What meals are served in Y on such a long flight going and coming? Its almost like flying LAX-SYD.
I am sorry. LY uses all their 777s to LAX: ECA,ECB,ECC,ECD,ECE,ECF. But only ECE and ECF have AVOD. ECD has been upgraded recently to AVOD in C and F only, but it is a poor system. As for the meal, I don't know
Old Sep 6, 10, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
If I fly on AA and I check my bags from SJC-TLV via LAX do I need to pickup my bags at LAX to re-screen them at the EL AL security? If I checked my bags all the way through how do I get my El AL boarding pass? Will I need to go through the security screening at LAX or can I bypass it and print my boarding pass on a kiosk and proceed to the gate?
- You can check in SJC and it will be tagged to Tel-Aviv and will (probably) arrive there, Your only risk is that connection flights luggage are always checked last by EL-AL security which means that if they didnt had time to scan yours, you might get it a day after in Tel-Aviv (EL-AL will send it to your home with a taxi).

- You will get your EL-AL boarding pass if you do so with AA, If you collect points with EL-AL, Make sure you book the AA as LY flight, Only if you land in Tom Bradley terminal you can do a connection, I never did it, Always checked in again with EL-AL (even if my luggage was already tagged to TLV (so you dont need to pick it up) and having a boarding pass.
If you want a better seat, Its the time to ask EL-AL for it when you re-check.

How much time do I need to allow on both the outbound and in bound flight for connections at LAX? Is 3 hours enough without bags since they will be through checked?
More than enough...

As its a 14 hour flight going and a 15 hour returning I'm assuming I get a lunch, dinner, breakfast and snacks and on the return a meal and breakfast before landing as it arrives around 6:30 AM. Can I catch a 11:30 flight to SJC or should I get a 1:00 PM Departure. I may just stay overnight to visit relatives that live close to LAX.
Yes, The 11:30 flight will be good (I always take it), And you have only Dinner and Breakfast + snacks (you can ask for sandwich if you are still hungry).

Also what is the best sleeping schedule. On the outbound do I stay up for the first half then go to sleep? On the return do I sleep for the first half then stay awake since it will be morning? I will drink coffee when I arrive LAX since its morning. On the outbound I know we arrive TLV at 2:00 PM so I plan to stay up until bedtime around 9:00 PM. On the return I will stay up through the day until bedtime. I'm a good sleeper on the plane.
You should know your body better than us..., Its individual for each human.

Will they serve wine,beer,dark beer(non-alcoholic), Digestive drinks like Baileys and Sabra on both legs? So I guess I ask for wine or beer during the beverage service. Does El Al accept AA Advantage miles and/or Delta Skymiles to earn miles?
About serving, It depends on the class... (Sabra? Years i didnt heard about it!), as for the miles, Accept for what ? Nothing is being sold on plane with points (expect duty free, but then EL-AL points only).

Shana Tova, Have a pleasant flight, I am every 2 months in SJC, Next time
Sabra on me!
Old Sep 8, 10, 12:37 am
Original Poster

ebzed Thank you so much

Todah Rabah for the information ebzed. The next time you are in the SJC area please let me know. I would love to meet with you if I'm around. You provide the Sabra I'll provide the Shabbat dinner lol(:

Search this Thread