Why did LY fly CDG-JFK today?

Old Aug 24, 10, 4:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paris, France
Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Posts: 2,135
Why did LY fly CDG-JFK today?

Apparently, 4X-ELE flew today CDG-JFK.
The a/c arrived today from TLV as LY323 and flew to JFK as LY21 (LY324 was flown by 4X-ECB which, before, flew LY319)
Does someone know why?
LY777 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 10, 5:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London uk
Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Posts: 2,754
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
Apparently, 4X-ELE flew today CDG-JFK.
The a/c arrived today from TLV as LY323 and flew to JFK as LY21 (LY324 was flown by 4X-ECB which, before, flew LY319)
Does someone know why?
After checking the ELAL website, there seems to be some very weird activity out of CDG!

Monday: There was a flight to Barcelona.
Yesterday: There was a flight to JFK, Luton and Munich.
Today: There is a flight to Luton.
Tomorrow: There is a flight to Warsaw.

Regarding the JFK flight, the reason is probaly that there was the need of a 3rd flight from JFK but little demand to JFK, while CDG had demand only Ex. TLV and not to TLV, although it's peculiar that CDG suddenly is dealing with so many of such cases.

Last edited by ELAL; Aug 24, 10 at 5:26 pm
ELAL is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 2:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Israel
Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Posts: 983
Dont forget that many unions are finishing the vacations,
From all my friends i heard they union ("Vaad Ovdim") took a package of flying with Arkia/Israir returning with EL-AL (or vice versa), Which will cause crazy schedules and routes to EL-AL
ebzed is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 5:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by ebzed View Post
Dont forget that many unions are finishing the vacations,
That's news to me! I didn't realize that the unions ever "finished" their vacations
damaxer91 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: LHR GVA HKG TLV PVG JFK
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,310
How does LY have the 'right' to fly such routes?
seaskybound is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 10:36 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NY, NY
Programs: AA Plat - (1MM)
Posts: 78
The flight to JFK was a ferry.
kennedytower is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 1:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London uk
Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Posts: 2,754
Originally Posted by ebzed View Post
Dont forget that many unions are finishing the vacations,
From all my friends i heard they union ("Vaad Ovdim") took a package of flying with Arkia/Israir returning with EL-AL (or vice versa), Which will cause crazy schedules and routes to EL-AL
This only explains the one way traffic to TLV, but dosen't explain the one way traffic to CDG.
ELAL is offline  
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Posts: 5,553
Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
That's news to me! I didn't realize that the unions ever "finished" their vacations
LOL, my thought exactly


The aircraft movements and repositioning sure is interesting. Perhaps LY is opening a temporary focus city in CDG
AAerSTL is offline  
Old Aug 27, 10, 8:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: LH SEN, LY, UA/CO, AF/KL, QF
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
The aircraft movements and repositioning sure is interesting. Perhaps LY is opening a temporary focus city in CDG
So all the French Jewish people who just flew LY to TLV and back (and enjoyed the service more than the one offered on AF), could enjoy the "feeling of home" on the way to their business meetings in NY?

Or is LY SARL (Ltd. in French) is a way to avoid the level 2 classification of Israel?
mkilmo is offline  
Old Aug 31, 10, 8:40 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Israel
Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Posts: 259
I am now in SOF and out the window I see ECD sitting there idle on the tarmac for hours.
Looking at the gate information I see the following:
LY 551 SOF to CDG
Weird... I guess they use the big birds as charters?
Can I get first class on a charter?
best
ysmisc
ysmisc is offline  
Old Aug 31, 10, 9:36 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Posts: 1,442
I saw in Ynet that the TLV-CDG flight had a tec problem and had to land in SOF. A few Elal and Sundor flights are late because of this.
Houminer is offline  
Old Aug 31, 10, 10:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 30,000 Feet
Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz Five Star Gold
Posts: 844
Is that why tonight's 027 to Newark was cancelled?
LatusElAl is offline  
Old Aug 31, 10, 1:56 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paris, France
Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Posts: 2,135
Originally Posted by Houminer View Post
I saw in Ynet that the TLV-CDG flight had a tec problem and had to land in SOF. A few Elal and Sundor flights are late because of this.
This is why LY319 was cancelled today...

Last edited by LY777; Aug 31, 10 at 2:37 pm
LY777 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 10, 2:37 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paris, France
Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Posts: 2,135
It was ECD:

An El Al Boeing 777-200, registration 4X-ECD performing flight LY-319 from Tel Aviv (Israel) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (France) with 266 passengers, diverted to Sofia (Bulgaria) after the crew needed to shut an engine (Trent 895) down following a low oil pressure indication. The airplane landed safely in Sofia.

The passengers were taken to local hotels. A replacement Sun d Or Boeing 757-200 registration 4X-EBM was dispatched to Sofia and is estimated to reach Paris with a delay of 10:45 hours.
(The aviation Herald)
LY777 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 10, 12:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 30,000 Feet
Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz Five Star Gold
Posts: 844
And the Balagan Continues . . . . .

Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
It was ECD:

An El Al Boeing 777-200, registration 4X-ECD performing flight LY-319 from Tel Aviv (Israel) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (France) with 266 passengers, diverted to Sofia (Bulgaria) after the crew needed to shut an engine (Trent 895) down following a low oil pressure indication. The airplane landed safely in Sofia.(The aviation Herald)
And now they cancelled Thursday's 028 from EWR and rumor has it the 004 from JFK is also going down! Tremendous BALAGAN with LY out of NYC through Sunday. This a major downside of sticking to a small airline.
LatusElAl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread