Wiki Posts
Search

ELAL and the Volcano (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
ELAL and the Volcano (merged)

All UK airports have now been closed for minimum 6 hours, due to a volcanic cloud, LY315 was already on route to LHR.

The Heathrow website shows the flight as delayed, the ELAL website arrival and departure list is showing it departed at 10:21 but it's got TEL AVIV listed as the destination, and the ELAL website, schedule change page is showing the flight as cancelled, making me assume it returned to TLV, .

Anybody can confirm?

BTW the professional ELAL website has this message:
Flight Canceled - All flight in and out of the UK are cancelled for now duo to a volcanic eruption in iceland.
They seem to need some help in spelling.

Last edited by ELAL; Apr 15, 2010 at 6:19 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:23 am

Yes indeed - it is back in TLV. Landed at 14:52
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeremys
Yes indeed - it is back in TLV. Landed at 14:52
That makes quite a long flight over 4:30, and ending up back in TLV.
Poor passengers.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Amsterdam and Brussels have been cancelled too, for the meanwhile.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Things seem to be esclating, list of routes currently cancelled.

London Heathrow
London Luton
Brussels
Amsterdam
Paris CDG
Frankfurt
Warsaw
Berlin

Last edited by ELAL; Apr 16, 2010 at 5:25 am Reason: update
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I see that Italy has closed their airspace. Any chance of it reaching Israel?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:20 am

Does anybody know which LY a/c are stuck in closed airports in Europe?
I heard of a 757 in Luton.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
ELAL and the Volcano

1. Anyone stranded in Europe (or Israel) due to volcano? How is LY handling this, are they offering hotel stays?

2. LY flights to N.A. usually go over Europe are they now going a much southern route? How does this lengthen the flight time?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:09 pm

It seems they fly the southern routes (which does rarely happen in normal days as well) - without substantial delays. But as of now the cloud starts to affect Spanish airspace - so we may start to see more serious delays due to extreme south routing.

According to this prognosis ( http://met.no/filestore/animation_2010041700.gif ) LY will be in deep trouble by Monday (assuming Algeria and Tunisia will not allow overfly).

What must be more alarming is the a/c and pax stuck in Europe and loss of revenue on these flights.
Currently in LTN: 4X-EBV

Last edited by BATLV; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BATLV
It seems they fly the southern routes (which does rarely happen in normal days as well) - without substantial delays. But as of now the cloud starts to affect Spanish airspace - so we may start to see more serious delays due to extreme south routing.

According to this prognosis ( http://met.no/filestore/animation_2010041700.gif ) LY will be in deep trouble by Monday (assuming Algeria and Tunisia will not allow overfly).

What must be more alarming is the a/c and pax stuck in Europe and loss of revenue on these flights.
Currently in LTN: 4X-EBV
thanks for the interesting link. According to it there is still a sliver north of Algeria/tunisia. Also I understand that if you fly low (I would not be surprised if in a few days that will begin to be a solution, especially from the UK to N.A. for the near UK segment) it is OK and LY can just 'tuck low' to not have to fly over tunisia.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
thanks for the interesting link. According to it there is still a sliver north of Algeria/tunisia. Also I understand that if you fly low (I would not be surprised if in a few days that will begin to be a solution, especially from the UK to N.A. for the near UK segment) it is OK and LY can just 'tuck low' to not have to fly over tunisia.
2 problems with that:

1. IFR vs VFR - I am not sure whether flying low can be done in IFR - which is a requirement for commercial traffic.
2. Fuel - flying low means much more fuel to get you from A to B.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Current message on ELAL's website.

Due to the closing of several parts of the European AirSpace,ELAL will operate flights from Athens,Barcelona,Rome and Madrid Only.

2 Flights have been added as follows:

LY285 Departing from TLV at 12:00am to Rome arriving To Rome at 2:40pm

LY286 Departing from Rome at 4:05pm and arriving to TLV at 8:25pm

All other Destination Are Currently Close -England, Russia, Netherlands, Romania, Hungary, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France, Ukraine and Italy (except for Rome).
Passengers whose flights have been cancelled will be rebooked through their travel agents or the elal call center with upon the re-opening of airports. .
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:02 am

BCN is now closed as well - one more diversion.
So for today only FCO, ATH and MAD are available options in LY's European network.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Extra flights due to volcano - puzzled

Given that most european destinations are closed to flights, and that EL AL fly 777 and 744 (and even 767) aircraft pretty much daily to London and Paris, I am puzzled why they have not switched the Madrid and Rome flights for this week to larger aircraft. They seem to have just 738s scheduled, but more and more travelers are being advised to travel overland to MAD or FCO to get back to Israel. However, just looking at the schedules for this week makes depressing reading as nothing is available on the few (very small) EL AL flights from these places.

Puzzled!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by mikebg
Given that most european destinations are closed to flights, and that EL AL fly 777 and 744 (and even 767) aircraft pretty much daily to London and Paris, I am puzzled why they have not switched the Madrid and Rome flights for this week to larger aircraft. They seem to have just 738s scheduled, but more and more travelers are being advised to travel overland to MAD or FCO to get back to Israel. However, just looking at the schedules for this week makes depressing reading as nothing is available on the few (very small) EL AL flights from these places.

Puzzled!
I heard on the radio this morning someone from LY saying they are flying a 744 from Rome today. Don't know about MAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.