Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

The EL AL FAQ (Newbie Questions Welcome - Flame Free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:40 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sabbasolo
Wiki Link
Feel free to pitch in with edits for content, additional posts and threads to be linked in the wiki, or general clean up - but please be as accurate and clear as possible!

WELCOME TO THE FLYERTALK EL AL MATMID THREAD! THIS IS A COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED WIKI FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT EL AL, MATMID, ELAL.COM, AND THE LY FT THREAD. PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING!

This thread is FLAME-FREE! Please recognize newbies who are posting here as well, and respond accordingly!!

Help me understand FlyerTalk and EL AL Matmid Forum lingo!

Flying with EL AL?
Frequent flyer with EL AL?
Need to contact EL AL?
Want general information about EL AL?
EL AL Online:

Important Threads From the Matmid forum!
Another FT thread: Traveling in Israel, for help navigating transportation in Israel

And from EL AL's website: Fly a Lot? EL AL Offers You a Ticket Pack
Upgrade to Premium Classes On-Board Your Flight!

Have a question? Do a SEARCH! Before posting a new thread, search first! There are 2 ways of searching FlyerTalk!
  1. Inside the specific forum, click on "Search this Forum" for results from within the El Al Matmid forum. To search all of FlyerTalk, click on "Search" located above the forum.
  2. By using Google. Duh! To search FT using Google, first type "site:www.flyertalk.com," and then a space, and then type what you want to search. (Leave out the quotation marks and comma!)
Searched? Can't find what you're looking for? Posting a new thread is simple. Try giving a descriptive title, and try not reviving really old threads! Note of caution: Posting in mega-threads (threads that may have been merged, or have posts from a wide range of years,) may not yield results.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 22, 3:13 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P, AZ E
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
I'm trying to understand the "Flex" rules. I'm looking at a flight from VCE-TLV in July and am wondering if I book it and decide to cancel later, can I get a refund? It's somewhat unclear on the website if it is possible, and at what cost.
Click the link about flight rules. For flex, Its usually either free of charge or with a small charge.
Old Apr 30, 22, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
Click the link about flight rules. For flex, Its usually either free of charge or with a small charge.
Thanks. Now I'm wondering whether I should pay EUR 182 or spend 43k Amex points to go business class on such a "short" flight. I'm thinking more about security lines, etc than comfort on the flight. Is it worth it to fly J? I'd rather get around long waits.
Old Apr 30, 22, 5:17 pm

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Thanks. Now I'm wondering whether I should pay EUR 182 or spend 43k Amex points to go business class on such a "short" flight. I'm thinking more about security lines, etc than comfort on the flight. Is it worth it to fly J? I'd rather get around long waits.
Unlike most European airlines, LY has proper business class seats on their 737s. So the cash price seems like a reasonable difference.
Old Apr 30, 22, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by gordo6 View Post
Unlike most European airlines, LY has proper business class seats on their 737s. So the cash price seems like a reasonable difference.
Do you think the points price is worth it? Also, what security benefits will I get at VCE and/or TLV
Old Apr 30, 22, 8:56 pm

I can’t answer re: VCR, but in TLV business has a separate ( much much shorter) check in line, there is a faster ( not only ELAL) secondary security line and a really nice lounge.
Old Apr 30, 22, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
I cant answer re: VCR, but in TLV business has a separate ( much much shorter) check in line, there is a faster ( not only ELAL) secondary security line and a really nice lounge.
Is the security line you reference for immigration?
Old May 1, 22, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum
Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
I cant answer re: VCR, but in TLV business has a separate ( much much shorter) check-in line, there is a faster ( not only ELAL) secondary security line and a really nice lounge.
The secondary security line has not been operational for a long time. Unfortunately, after check-in, you have to join the same line as everyone else for hand-luggage security.
Old May 1, 22, 6:18 am

I'm asking about immigration and customs after landing in TLV
Old May 1, 22, 3:04 pm

The second security line for people flying business ( all airlines) - and those in wheelchairs ( they went to the front) was operational when I left Israel March 23, 2022!

There is no special customs/ immigration for business. I gave never seen that in ANY country!
Old May 8, 22, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Is there any benefit to spending more to book a LOT polish ticket as an elal codeshare as opposed to a LOT ticket on LOT stock?
cost $20 more...

Can't check-in using king david counters i assume... and 20 matmid points isn't worth much... (gold on S* and on LY)

thank you!
Old May 10, 22, 5:30 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ P, AZ E
Originally Posted by tapuach View Post
Is there any benefit to spending more to book a LOT polish ticket as an elal codeshare as opposed to a LOT ticket on LOT stock?
cost $20 more...

Can't check-in using king david counters i assume... and 20 matmid points isn't worth much... (gold on S* and on LY)

thank you!
Is it the same baggage-wise?
The cheapest ticket on LO doesnt include baggage but as *A G you will be allowed an extra baggage.
Even if you take the flight as a codeshare one, you will be able to credit to *A because with *A it is not the marketinq carrier but the operating carrier.
Old May 12, 22, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
Is it the same baggage-wise?
The cheapest ticket on LO doesnt include baggage but as *A G you will be allowed an extra baggage.
Even if you take the flight as a codeshare one, you will be able to credit to *A because with *A it is not the marketinq carrier but the operating carrier.
thank you! i had no baggage. went with the cheaper fare
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:40 am

Been a long time since I flew LY, and an even longer time (probably the 90s) since I did so with a connection. I'm flying AA connecting at JFK to LY on one PNR. At what point will I go through the security interview? Will I have to go to the LY check in desk at JFK or will I be able to go straight to the gate?
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff View Post
Been a long time since I flew LY, and an even longer time (probably the 90s) since I did so with a connection. I'm flying AA connecting at JFK to LY on one PNR. At what point will I go through the security interview? Will I have to go to the LY check in desk at JFK or will I be able to go straight to the gate?
As its one PNR you can go to the gate and your bags should be transferred through. Present yourself to them at the gate as a transfer passenger so that you can do the security interview and your bags will be allowed on the plane. (Dont wait for them to call your name). Occasionally they may ask you to describe your suitcases or point to them outside the window while your suitcases are sitting outside. Your suitcase wont be onboarded till you do the security interview.
Houminer likes this.

Search this Thread