Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Well to be perfectly honest, I'd rather connect in europe wether it be with BA, LH, or LX and arrive in LA or SFO with europe.
That way I get the international business class flat bed and standards the whole way.
Just a thought.
UA operates p.s. flights on the SFO/LAX-JFK route. All LAX-JFK flights and all SFO-JFK flights are p.s., or "Premium Service." They have their own subfleet of 752s which are 3-class, including lie-flat in F, and international C. They are doing a reconfig of the whole fleet, which will leave 26 C seats, the same ones that CO installed on their 772s/752s, and will have WiFi (they already do), and have AVOD and power throughout the fleet.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

Yeah I'm aware of that, and am actually really looking forward to having a BF seat on a domestic trans con, but, North American airlines will never match the style and finesse of the european carriers, hence my preference to transit europe :-)
Old May 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm aware of that, and am actually really looking forward to having a BF seat on a domestic trans con, but, North American airlines will never match the style and finesse of the european carriers, hence my preference to transit europe :-)
Yes and no. I'm choosing *A here, and here's my opinion (roughly) of how UA, US, and AC stack up with LH and LX. (No other "big" European *A carriers)

Hard product - F
New LX>New LH>New UA>Old LX>Old UA>Old LH

Hard product - C
New US>AC>New BF>LX>New UA>Old BF>Old US>LH>Old UA

Soft product - F
LX>LH>UA

Soft prduct - C
UA>LX>US>AC>LH

In Y, UA, AC, US are all about the same. LX is similar, though slightly worse, as the North American carriers have AVOD. LH, however, I avoid like the plague. Service is roughly similar, and usually depends on the crew. UA meals are better. LX/LH have free booze though.

And for domestic travel, at least the North American carriers have an F cabin. LH/LX simply don't sell the middle seat. 28 inch seat pitch! Really!
Old May 16, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
LX is similar, though slightly worse, as the North American carriers have AVOD.
What are you talking about? For longhaul Y LX is great. I just flew them YUL-ZRH-BRU in Y. very good.

and as for not having AVOD o nthe narrow body fleet, eh, no big deal, most of the flights LX sends them on aren't much longer than 3 hours anyways.

I hate Euro J. Never EVER do I pay for it.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you talking about? For longhaul Y LX is great. I just flew them YUL-ZRH-BRU in Y. very good.
Yes they are. But UA is also pretty good. Service is pretty much the same. Food is slightly better on UA, at least ex-EWR. UA has AVOD, LX doesn't. UA has power, LX doesn't. UA's seats are wider and LX's seats are harder. So definite points to UA over LX. I happen to like the EWR-ZRH-TLV, UA to LX flight, because it allows me to stretch my legs, walk to the gate and just catch shacharit minyan, after which I can head to the Panorama Lounge for a coffee, and then board. AC and US are similar in Y. LX isn't bad. Not at all. In Y, I go completely based on price as they're all similar. Except LH which I avoid like the plague

and as for not having AVOD o nthe narrow body fleet, eh, no big deal, most of the flights LX sends them on aren't much longer than 3 hours anyways.
That's fine. I wasn't referring to the narrow-body fleet. My problem is more the difference between domestic planes in the USA versus "domestic" (aka intra-European) flights. 2 cabins in the USA, with 38 inch seat pitch, 2-2, more comfort, padding, and recline. In Europe, you get a Y seat, but no middle passenger. Which really can be the same in Y anyways if you get lucky.
In the USA, you have IFE. None in Europe. That's all I was saying. I rarely do narrow-body flights in Europe anyways, and if they are, most would be ex-TLV or to TLV anyways, so I'd likely to LY anyways which is better than the competition (don't worry - only in that regard!)

I hate Euro J. Never EVER do I pay for it.
Did it recently, BRU-ZRH on LX. Service itself was nice - decent meal for a 1 hour flight. Also made sure to get the bulkhead (row 1, A319) for *some* extra legroom
Old May 16, 2012, 10:41 pm

Uhhm, Mein teiyereh yiddishe brider, yes LX does have AVOD in Y. And a pretty good one to boot! HD screen, good selection, easy to navigate, etc..
KSML out of YUL is either a desent fish meal or something earily similar to the KSML beef dish they serve on LX-254 for lunch in Y.

I like transiting ZRH as well, Daven before the plane leaves
When was the last time you transited ZRH to TLV BTW? It's possible we saw eachother.

Oyy, you poor man. why oh why did you waste your hard earned $$ on J for BRU-ZRH. Oh well, at least you enjoyed right
Old May 17, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
If UA had a night flight connecting to the early morning PS flights I'd far prefer that to waking up at 2am to make the LH/LX morning flight - my ideal would be a 10:30 or 11pm TLV-JFK that lets me connect to the 6am PS flight to SFO - you sleep all night on the plane and arrive at 9:30am to SFO for a full productive day.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhhm, Mein teiyereh yiddishe brider, yes LX does have AVOD in Y. And a pretty good one to boot! HD screen, good selection, easy to navigate, etc..
This is my experience with LX. In C, they have AVOD, though it's not touchscreen. The benefit goes to UA on that, because UA has a much larger selection, easier to navigate interface, and better screen.
In Y, you may be right about the AVOD actually. But I do find the interface harder to navigate. Obviously, as with most issues like this, YMMV. Things also depend on what you're used to. I'm used to UA.

KSML out of YUL is either a desent fish meal or something earily similar to the KSML beef dish they serve on LX-254 for lunch in Y.
KSML ex-EWR is Regal. I put them on par with Hermolis, though I think I may get flamed for saying such nareshkeit on this board It's tasty and decent portion. Ex-ZRH, Schalom actually is pretty good, but the portions are smaller than Regal, Hamasbia, and Hermolis.

I like transiting ZRH as well, Daven before the plane leaves
When was the last time you transited ZRH to TLV BTW? It's possible we saw eachother.
Ya, it's great. What time does the YUL-ZRH flight get you in? EWR-ZRH, I land at 8-something and takeoff at 9-something, so the timing is really perfect. Last time I was there was about a month ago.

Oyy, you poor man. why oh why did you waste your hard earned $$ on J for BRU-ZRH. Oh well, at least you enjoyed right
Flight was EWR-BRU-TLV, with a 2 day layover in Belgium. Saw some stuff, met up with HONcircle, and then flew to TLV. So options were BRU-TLV on SN, or BRU-ZRH-TLV. I went with the latter

Originally Posted by NYTA
If UA had a night flight connecting to the early morning PS flights I'd far prefer that to waking up at 2am to make the LH/LX morning flight - my ideal would be a 10:30 or 11pm TLV-JFK that lets me connect to the 6am PS flight to SFO - you sleep all night on the plane and arrive at 9:30am to SFO for a full productive day.
While it may sound nice, I just do not see them starting international service from JFK. I much sooner see them expanding p.s. service to EWR then starting JFK-TLV, especially when they'd be essentially competing with themselves at EWR.
While they won't likely expand p.s. to EWR, transiting EWR is definitely better, as clearing customs is much quicker there than at JFK. (Not much of an issue with me as I have Global Entry.)
Old May 17, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF to start MRS-TLV

Air France to inaugurate Tel Aviv-Marseilles route - Globes

Highlights of the article
  • Route will begin September 5
  • 3 weekly flights (Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday)
  • $370 r/t
  • 178-seat A320
Old May 17, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Air France to inaugurate Tel Aviv-Marseilles route - Globes

Highlights of the article
  • Route will begin September 5
  • 3 weekly flights (Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday)
  • $370 r/t
  • 178-seat A320
Good news I guess, but given how freaking expensive it is on AF to Paris, I'd rather see them put on one more flight a day to CDG or at least use bigger planes on the same flights!
Old May 17, 2012, 3:17 pm

Yes I agree about regal / hermo / Shalom.
Last time I was in ZRH was april 30th.
LX087 YUL-ZRH arrives in Zürich at 0625, usually earlier.

Your right about UA and a route to TLV from JFK. I don't see it.
Why doesn't UA offer P.S. from ORD as well? It's long enough I think.

I quite like LX's entertainment system. CO's is good too.

Doesn't LY also serve Marseilles? Might be a good mileage run route for those with LY or AF. More competition, lower prices. Etc...
Old May 17, 2012, 3:19 pm

Forgot to mention about BRU-ZRH-TLV: ohh, ok. That's worth it. Although I would have just hopped on LY for the fun of it :-)
Old May 17, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rafi2k6, I forgot to mention the other benefit of the minyan by the LX flight ZRH-TLV. After getting off that UA flight, where everyone looks Aryan and is staring at my kippa and tzitzit, it's nice to see some fellow Jews!

Yes I agree about regal / hermo / Shalom.
Last time I was in ZRH was april 30th.
LX087 YUL-ZRH arrives in Zrich at 0625, usually earlier.
If I was on that flight, I'd probably take the train to the main terminal, clear customs just to shower at the Biz Lounge. (Which is better, IMO, than the Senator Lounge.)

Your right about UA and a route to TLV from JFK. I don't see it.
Why doesn't UA offer P.S. from ORD as well? It's long enough I think.
ORD in either direction isn't long enough. JFK-SFO/LAX are not only transcontinental flights, they're the big ones. So p.s. is the diffrentiator. Most American carriers have something special about their transcons in general, and the NYC-LAX/SFO flights in particular. DL has a BusinessElite lite; AA has special things; UA has p.s.

I quite like LX's entertainment system. CO's is good too.
I found UA to have the best interface, CO to have the most movies, and BA to have the best map. But what I liked about LX was that they show you lots of info at the end of the flight that you rarely see otherwise - gate you're going to, and where all the connecting flights depart from. VERY HELPFUL!

Doesn't LY also serve Marseilles? Might be a good mileage run route for those with LY or AF. More competition, lower prices. Etc...
Yes they do
Old May 17, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot to mention about BRU-ZRH-TLV: ohh, ok. That's worth it. Although I would have just hopped on LY for the fun of it :-)
While I could have, this was part of a larger, all *A, booking
Old May 17, 2012, 3:51 pm

While I could have, this was part of a larger, all *A, booking
rafi2k6, I forgot to mention the other benefit of the minyan by the LX flight ZRH-TLV. After getting off that UA flight, where everyone looks Aryan and is staring at my kippa and tzitzit, it's nice to see some fellow Jews!

If I was on that flight, I'd probably take the train to the main terminal, clear customs just to shower at the Biz Lounge. (Which is better, IMO, than the Senator Lounge.)

ORD in either direction isn't long enough. JFK-SFO/LAX are not only transcontinental flights, they're the big ones. So p.s. is the diffrentiator. Most American carriers have something special about their transcons in general, and the NYC-LAX/SFO flights in particular. DL has a BusinessElite lite; AA has special things; UA has p.s.

I found UA to have the best interface, CO to have the most movies, and BA to have the best map. But what I liked about LX was that they show you lots of info at the end of the flight that you rarely see otherwise - gate you're going to, and where all the connecting flights depart from. VERY HELPFUL!

Yes they do
That's what I usually do, then head back to the E gates at around 8:15.
Lol the Aryan thing, imagine what I feel like in full chassidishe levush. Burich Sheh Loi Usani Goy is what I have to say!

Hmm, I dunno, I think ORD being the hub that it is should have a slightyly inferior P.S. to JFK/EWR but better than the normal mid-cons.

Agree with you on the entertainment systems.

Does anyone know how KE's SEL-TLV service is going? I know that they've upgraded it from an A332 to a 772. Possibilty of daily?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.