Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Well, Morocco flights have started:

Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In this thread and this one OFFICIAL: Flights to/from Israel/UAE Can Cross Saudi Arabia , there have been comments regarding Saudi overflight permissions for LY flights on routes other than to/from the UAE.

Curious because I see this.

Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 24left
In this thread and this one OFFICIAL: Flights to/from Israel/UAE Can Cross Saudi Arabia , there have been comments regarding Saudi overflight permissions for LY flights on routes other than to/from the UAE.

Curious because I see this.

I believe that part of the problem is how the flight would route otherwise, it would have to overfly Oman which while pretty much neutral, may not want to grant permission for LY or 4X registered aircraft to overly their airspace beyond the scope of flights to the UAE.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
I believe that part of the problem is how the flight would route otherwise, it would have to overfly Oman which while pretty much neutral, may not want to grant permission for LY or 4X registered aircraft to overly their airspace beyond the scope of flights to the UAE.
From December 2018:

Israeli planes can use Omani, Sudanese airspace, Netanyahu says
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said Israeli planes can fly over Sudan and Oman, adding that he is working on getting Saudi Arabia’s permission for this as well.

“When I was in Oman, Sultan Qaboos [bin Said] confirmed to me right away that El Al can fly over Oman,” the prime minister told Israeli diplomats in Jerusalem.

“Therefore, only one small thing remains for us to do,” he added, pointing to Saudi Arabia on a map. “We need to get that El Al can fly over this, and that’s it — we open new markets.”
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
1) That's an extremely vague statement by Bibi
2) As with anything that politicians say: I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it is pretty clear that the overflight agreements apply specifically to flights to & from the UAE.
BATLV likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is pretty clear that the overflight agreements apply specifically to flights to & from the UAE.
Oman granted Israeli airlines permission to fly through its airspace two years before Israel normalized its relations with the UAE.

If I were to venture a guess, Israel does not allow its planes to fly over the Arabian Peninsula unless they are equipped with anti-missile systems. Currently, no such technology is approved for the 787's.

EL AL touches down in Abu Dhabi
It was operated by a five year old Boeing 737-900ER with the registration code 4X-EHD. This plane was chosen over EL AL’s flagship Boeing 787-9 because the company’s 737s have anti-missile systems, while the 787s don’t.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 27, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:36 am

Oman granted Israeli airlines permission to fly through its airspace two years before Israel normalized its relations with the UAE.

If I were to venture a guess, Israel does not allow its planes to fly over the Arabian Peninsula unless they are equipped with anti-missile systems. Currently, no such technology is approved for the 787's.
So in other words, this continues to be a moot point: either because politicians prevent it from happening, or because the airline is afraid that Iran will blow one of their planes out of the sky.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:59 am

So in other words, this continues to be a moot point: either because politicians prevent it from happening, or because the airline is afraid that Iran will blow one of their planes out of the sky.
Elbit's C-MUSIC missile countermeasures system is currently available for use on Boeing's 747, 777, and 737 and several Airbus aircraft. Boeing has yet to approve its installation on the 787.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:23 am

Elbit's C-MUSIC missile countermeasures system is currently available for use on Boeing's 747, 777, and 737 and several Airbus aircraft. Boeing has yet to approve its installation on the 787.
Yes, and they are installed on the 777's.
If the overflight permissions truly were beyond the scope of flights to and from the UAE, don't you think EL AL would be using some 777's for flights to India & Thailand? Clearly, this is not the case.
So once again, this is a moot point- as with anything related to politics, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors, even more so in the middle east.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:57 pm

If the overflight permissions truly were beyond the scope of flights to and from the UAE, don't you think EL AL would be using some 777's for flights to India & Thailand? Clearly, this is not the case.
Due to the coronavirus epidemic, El Al's 777s are currently not in service.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:41 pm

Due to the coronavirus epidemic, El Al's 777s are currently not in service.
Oh please! Enough already.

Fact: LY 777's are mostly out of service "due to covid"

Fact: If the overflight permissions were truly as expansive as you claim, they'd be flying the shorter route to the far east.

This isn't rocket science.

Last edited by rafi2k6; Sep 2, 2021 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:48 pm

Fact: LY 777's are mostly out of service "due to covid"
Please cite a source for that so-called "Fact" that any of El Al's 777 aircraft are currently used for passenger service; test or training flights don't count.
Fact: If the overfishing permissions were truly as expansive as you claim, they'd be flying the shorter route to the far east.
Where exactly did I make such a claim?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:30 am

Please cite a source for that so-called "Fact" that any of El Al's 777 aircraft are currently used for passenger service; test or training flights don't count.

Where exactly did I make such a claim?
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Delta announces Boston-TLV flights

Starting in May 2022 3x Week Boston-TLV flights.https://onemileatatime.com/news/delt...-aviv-flights/
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by nombody
Starting in May 2022 3x Week Boston-TLV flights.https://onemileatatime.com/news/delt...-aviv-flights/
That's pretty cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.