Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
And this in the context of big new codeshare agreement with jetblue

So LY will be the only one in the market without decent feed. arrangements. .
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
And this in the context of big new codeshare agreement with jetblue

So LY will be the only one in the market without decent feed. arrangements. .
For now, LY still has a codeshare agreement with B6 and an inter line agreement with AA, but there is a high probability that this announcement means that at least one of these agreements will cease.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Good for you.
I guarantee you 100% that if you need to get to New York, or beyond- regardless of the class of travel, you'd go with AA if they were the cheapest.

I personally don't like LOT, still, use them from time to time because of *A & excellent biz class fares.

AA will do well, especially for connections beyond NYC.

The bloodbath has begun.

LY's biggest mistake: not ordering the 787-10 to be able to match the capacity of it's competitors.
Good for you, too
I am based in Paris and I always choose AF and DL over AA even though AA is cheaper.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LY & B6 won't likely drop their interline agreements for ticketing & baggage. But, the codeshare is likely off the table.

This means that secondary market traffic to & from TLV is driven to AA through the existing AA network as well as B6. LY will either need to cut prices or capacity to compete.

The route is also not a big deal for AA. If it cannot generate a sufficient PRASM, it can be painlessly limited or cancelled, while the same cannot be said for LY.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
LY's biggest mistake: not ordering the 787-10 to be able to match the capacity of it's competitors.
Yes, they did. That's big mistake. They didn't ordering the 777-300ER or 787-10 Dreamliner or 777-9X. They must orders a new aircraft! They need the capacity.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
I think this gets a thread of its own:
https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-de...D05D9zyydrwHY0
In the middle of a pandemic, AA adds JFK-TLV and UA is expanding its Israel routes.
LY had better get its act together and fast. No way they will survive a fare ware on the NYC-TLV cash cow.
How many points will this route cost?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
How many points will this route cost?
Probably better asked in the AA forum. But Israel has been in the same AA award region as India, so likely the same.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I wonder if the imminent arrival of Emirates to Tel Aviv will change the economic viability (such as it is) of this plan....
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I wonder if the imminent arrival of Emirates to Tel Aviv will change the economic viability (such as it is) of this plan....
I think EL AL’s coffin would be sealed if EK start flights to TLV.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz
Its a matter of time before they do.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by tedcruz
EK to the USA and Europe is quite an inconvenient detour. Worse than TK.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sds1493

+1, its 1 thing if they would fly NY-TLV non-stop and then continue on, but to fly an extra 3hrs to save a few $s or miles and do it both ways not gonna happen. . If priced right hopefully it will draw most Israelis away from TK. I dont why all the excitement before theres a flight shed posted, if its like RJ then it will mean lousy connections.

Last edited by craz; Aug 13, 2020 at 11:17 am
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sds1493
Especially if you have to detour around Saudi airspace. Didn't the Etihad flights have to fly over Turkey?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TWA884
Especially if you have to detour around Saudi airspace. Didn't the Etihad flights have to fly over Turkey?
KSA allows AI to fly in their airspace. I'm sure EK/EY will work something out with the Saudis before starting flights.
Only a matter of time now before they start TLV flights. It will certainly hurt LY's Asia/Australia ambitions, though LY is likely going to table most of those as they shrink anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
KSA allows AI to fly in their airspace. I'm sure EK/EY will work something out with the Saudis before starting flights.
Only a matter of time now before they start TLV flights. It will certainly hurt LY's Asia/Australia ambitions, though LY is likely going to table most of those as they shrink anyway.
To the best of my knowledge, Air India can fly in Saudi airspace between Mumbai and TLV, however, El Al is prohibited from flying over Saudi Arabia and detours over the Red Sea on the same route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.