Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

easyJet flight cancelled 3 weeks in advance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold

I have an easyJet flight that has been cancelled 16 days before departure, and although there are other options for the same route, both on easyJet (with a connection) and on other carriers, I tried chatting easyJet support and they are insisting there are no available flights for the same route and date. I replied with some flights that are available, and was told "You can book a flight on your end, then you can just claim from us." I then asked for written confirmation that I was okay to book that flight and easyJet would reimburse me and then the chat agent just ignored me but didn't end the chat.

What should I do? Try chatting again? Is what I have enough supporting documentation that easyJet approved rebooking if I have to file a claim with the EU261 regulator? Or am I likely SOL in this case and just need to rebook at today's prices....all alternatives are like 3-4x the price of what I originally booked.

Route is ATH-LIS if that is helpful at all.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:42 pm

Have a read of this

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boar...-cancellations
Old May 15, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
If Wikipedia is to be believed, you should have one stop options (not sure about layovers and such) through BRS, BSL, EDI, LGW, MAN, MXP, or possibly GVA. I would take a look at the timings there and see what might work.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
If Wikipedia is to be believed, you should have one stop options (not sure about layovers and such) through BRS, BSL, EDI, LGW, MAN, MXP, or possibly GVA. I would take a look at the timings there and see what might work.
There is an option through GVA bookable online (through their annoying Dohop thing) but they are saying their system says nothing available.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by 1353513636
There is an option through GVA bookable online (through their annoying Dohop thing) but they are saying their system says nothing available.
See if, when on with an agent, they'll let you book LIS-GVA and GVA-ATH online separately, and then have them refund the difference between your original fare and the cost of those two tickets. That's the best I can think of.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:16 pm

​​​​​Read my link fully, book the Aegean direct flight and claim it back

JayhawkCO likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Update: a second rep said I could book any LCC....I asked if Eurowings was okay and they said it was. I've booked ATH-DUS-LIS and am claiming on the expense claim form. Will update here if they pay up or not.

A3 flight for that day arrives at 11pm which is too late for my parents so I didn't push it.

Follow up question: As an American, how can I get reimbursement from easyJet? Their form requires a SWIFT/Bank account number, which most of us don't have (or require crediting to a bank with a further credit memo), and there's no way to put that information into the expense claim form.

Last edited by 1353513636; May 15, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Old May 15, 2023, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Follow up question: As an American, how can I get reimbursement from easyJet? Their form requires a SWIFT/Bank account number, which most of us don't have (or require crediting to a bank with a further credit memo), and there's no way to put that information into the expense claim form.
Open a Wise account.
https://wise.com/
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:09 am

Very bad operations this year, got a cancellation 12 days before departure. Not helpful at all on the phone, no alternatives at the same time offered.

Also denied compensation. More canx for later this year as well. What is the issue, financial problems? At least I will stay away from Easy going forward and file several claims for alternative transportation.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by estrela
Very bad operations this year, got a cancellation 12 days before departure. Not helpful at all on the phone, no alternatives at the same time offered.

Also denied compensation. More canx for later this year as well. What is the issue, financial problems? At least I will stay away from Easy going forward and file several claims for alternative transportation.
Why was compensation denied?
Old May 18, 2023, 4:26 pm

Compensation and rebooking to the next available flight only applies for sameday cancellations according to Easyjet support contradicting the law.

Even quoting the respective EU passenger right directive did not help.
Old May 20, 2023, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Maybe try submitting again? Interestingly, they have already agreed to pay for my Eurowings replacement flight 3 days after I submitted the claim form online, although they want to pay me in USD using the horrible exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.02 USD.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by estrela
Compensation and rebooking to the next available flight only applies for sameday cancellations according to Easyjet support contradicting the law.

Even quoting the respective EU passenger right directive did not help.
If easyJet have refused to put you on a same day flight, then this will expose them to a claim for compensation under UK/EU261 irre4spective of the cause of the original cancellation.
Old May 23, 2023, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If easyJet have refused to put you on a same day flight, then this will expose them to a claim for compensation under UK/EU261 irre4spective of the cause of the original cancellation.
I know. They refused once again to rebook to the next available flight and 250 EUR for the cancellation that was communicated to me less than 14 days before departure. I am already in contact with my aviation lawyer and the relevant authorities. Really strange behavior by Easyjet, won't book U2 again.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Update: I provided easyJet with a German IBAN/SWIFT bank info to send a payment in Euros, but instead they sent the payment in dollars at the exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.02 USD (today's exchange rate is 1 EUR = 1.08 USD). I replied back that I plan to contact the EU261 enforcement bodies if they do not reimburse me in EUR or USD at the proper exchange rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.