Involuntary Reroute via LGW

Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Involuntary Reroute via LGW

easyJet flight from Basel/Mulhouse to Nantes, FR was cancelled.
easyJet offered me a reroute: Geneva -> London Gatwick / London Gatwick -> Nantes.
As I only had hand luggage, I expected that I would be able to stay in transit area and not have to enter the UK.

What a surprise! easyJet does not offer the possibility to transit in LGW North Terminal.
I had to enter the UK and then go through the entire security check as if I was a passenger beginning all travel from the UK.

This really should be changed. Big waste of time and inconvenience for nothing.

Last edited by Gigantor; Mar 13, 2023 at 5:40 am
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Unfortunately that is outside both easyJet’s and LGW’s control, it is a UK legal requirement that all connecting passengers arriving from outside the UK are re-screened.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Unfortunately that is outside both easyJet’s and LGW’s control, it is a UK legal requirement that all connecting passengers arriving from outside the UK are re-screened.
only at LGW North Terminal. Not the general case.

For example, when one flies YYZ -> LHR (Terminal 2) with AC and make another T2 connection with LH or LX, there is neither passport control nor security check.

Last edited by Gigantor; Mar 14, 2023 at 2:28 am
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Gigantor
For example, when one flies YYZ -> LHR (Terminal 2) with AC and make another T2 connection with LH or LX, there is neither passport control nor security check.
You are mistaken. There's always a security check when transferring at LHR (unless the originating flight is a domestic).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Does one always have to enter the UK? Passing through passport control and entering the UK is definitely not the norm.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You are mistaken. There's always a security check when transferring at LHR (unless the originating flight is a domestic).
Does one always have to enter the UK?
I don't think so.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:34 pm

Does one always have to enter the UK?
I don't think so.
No, but you need to re-clear security.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

No, but you need to re-clear security.
At LGW North Terminal, one MUST enter the UK.
I told the agent at passport control that I was just changing planes to go to France and that I really didn’t want to enter the UK.

The agent jokingly replied, “We really don’t want you to enter the UK either.” He said that as he approved my entry.

Last edited by Gigantor; Mar 15, 2023 at 4:44 am
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:53 am

At LGW North Terminal, one MUST enter the UK.
Yes - nobody is disputing that. It would be the same at MAN (and probably a few more UK airports).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Yes - nobody is disputing that. It would be the same at MAN (and probably a few more UK airports).
I find it very strange that there is no all-encompassing rule. At LHR T2, one does NOT have to enter the UK to transit between international flights.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
I think youll find that INT-INT transfers are pretty uncommon at UK airports other than LHR and its not necessarily surprising there arent specific provision made for them.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.