Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Eu261 - flight re-booking to another carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eu261 - flight re-booking to another carrier

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:31 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The regulation is clear that it is for the airline to arrange the rerouting - although it has conditions that are imposed to it on the conditions under which that must be done.
Absolute rubbish. Article 8(1)(c) of EU261/2004 states that passengers shall be offered the choice of "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats". It is far from clear whether the airline must arrange the re-routing or whether it must merely fund the re-routing.

Have you obtained professional legal advice on this point like I did, or are you making things up?

In any case, I told EasyJet that I was going to book on another airline at considerably greater cost, and they replied saying "I request you to fill the expense webform with valid receipts and the concerned team will get back you after validating your claim".

DIY rerouting is not a right per se, so the risk is always that the airline will say that they had solutions that they would have offered you and that you did not pick and chose to do your own instead (ie for instance they may say that they would have agreed to the flight you booked and they shouldn't pay commercial price for it when they could have used their industry agreements).
If EasyJet wants to book the re-routed flights on other airlines at its own industry-discounted rates, then it could display those flights on its own rebooking page. But it chooses not to do so.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NFH
Absolute rubbish. Article 8(1)(c) of EU261/2004 states that passengers shall be offered the choice of […]

Have you obtained professional legal advice on this point like I did, or are you making things up?
No, I have not sought paid legal device as you have, so by all means, do keep believing that it is « far from clear » that « shall be offered the choice » refers to shall be offered that choice by the airline and could mean it shall be offered a choice by him/herself in their monologic negotiation.

and no, I’m not « making it up » either.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond | Finnair Plus Gold
So, according to easyJet representative my flight is active. The problem is both easyJet website and ExpertFlyer indicate otherwise...

Hello, I cannot check in for my flight. Is it cancelled?
25/06/2022 07:54am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

I understand your concern that you can't able to checkin for the flight and
you want to know about status for your flight right?
25/06/2022 07:54am UTC - You:

yes
25/06/2022 07:54am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

Please be at rest and let me check it for you.

25/06/2022 07:57am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

xxx, I have just checked it for you. As I can see in my system your flight
is active.
25/06/2022 07:58am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

In this case when you can't able you checkin online. So, I suggest you to
checkin at the airport itself.
25/06/2022 07:58am UTC - You:

but usually that I have to pay for that?
25/06/2022 07:58am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

Is there anything else that I may assist you with today?
25/06/2022 07:59am UTC - You:

25/06/2022 07:59am UTC - You:

So, you are sure that flight EJU3815 is operating on the 8th of July, right?
25/06/2022 08:00am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

Yes, your flight is operating on the 8th of July.
25/06/2022 08:00am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

Is there anything else that I may assist you with today?
25/06/2022 08:00am UTC - You:

because when I search on your webite
25/06/2022 08:01am UTC - You:

it says it's unavailable, not "sold out"
25/06/2022 08:02am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

I'm sorry it may due to some technical issue. I request you to please ignore
such instruction. Your flight is active and you can travel with the same.
25/06/2022 08:02am UTC - You:

ok, so I don't have to worry about
25/06/2022 08:03am UTC - You:

what about the check in at the airport?
25/06/2022 08:03am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

No, you need to worry. You will just enjoy your journey.
25/06/2022 08:03am UTC - You:
Do you think I shouldn't worry and just "enjoy my journey"...?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by zabsko
Ok, it's getting more and more interesting...

Moments later after mentioning EU261:

and finally:

(at this point chat has been closed by easyJet without any ending messages)

I've filled the form but I understand this is for compensation which I'm not eligible for nor I want.

So, to summarize - I have ordinary looking booking with both outbound and inbound flights intact. The inbound flight is not bookable, it doesn't appear on the EF... But at least I have black on white that they are refusing to re-route me to another airline because "they are not a travel agency" ROTFL
And given their assertion that the flight is operating compensation is now in scope.
zabsko likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:10 pm

Going back to mid April I had my flight easyJet cancelled about 21 days ahead of departure. They automatically moved me on to one of their alternative flights 21 hours earlier. There were no other flights operated by easyJet on the date of travel. I had booked the only easyJet flight and it had been cancelled.

I rebooked on an alternative carrier, travelling on the same date as originally booked booked.

easyJet paid my expenses claim for the replacement flight.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lfc84
I rebooked on an alternative carrier, travelling on the same date as originally booked booked.
What have you done with your original easyjet booking? You've kept it rescheduled by them?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:53 am

What have you done with your original easyjet booking? You've kept it rescheduled by them?
What do you mean by "... your original easyJet booking..."?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What do you mean by "... your original easyJet booking..."?
I mean the one on the original PNR that you have originally booked and that has been later re-booked by easyJet. From what you have written I presume you left that as was and just let them know somehow that you won’t be taking this flight, right?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:11 am

I mean the one on the original PNR that you have originally booked and that has been later re-booked by easyJet. From what you have written I presume you left that as was and just let them know somehow that you won’t be taking this flight, right?
You do nothing with it. If you cancel it the airline are no longer responsible for UK261/EU261 with respect to duty of care and rerouting (or reimbursement of the new flight). If an airline cancels a flight, they are required to offer you the choices, if these are not acceptable you should tell them so and ask them to reroute you on an alternative carrier.

Whilst the regulation puts the onus on the airline, there is nothing stopping you from finding alternative flights and suggesting them to the airline. The most important thing: do not cancel the reservation or seek a refund if you expect the airline to provide UK261/EU261 protection.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Just to keep the topic up-to-date. We are sitting at the airport for 5 hours. Of course there is no flight. An Easyjet representative confirmed this and advised me to call customer service. The guy apologized for the situation and made 3 times to make sure we were at the airport and they (EJ @ CDG reps) say there is no flight. And that he'll escalate the situation and I will be called back within an hour. What was 4 hours ago ...

I have called them several times since then and can still hear that I have to wait for them to take care of the case. A very frustrating experience.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:02 am

So what happened in the end? Did they rebook you last minute on another airline?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Ok, we're back home

Shortly after my last post, I was finally called back by an easyJet representative. By the same guy I spoke to this morning. He apologized again for the situation and advised me to book the flights myself and that I would get for this and all other expenses. He insisted my flight was canceled on July 20 which is really awkward. I was informed of the cancellation on the 17th. Then, after all conversations with easyjet, I was booked into my original flight on the 19th and my booking remained intact until the unfortunate Friday flight.

After a big fight and some help from the easyjet representative at CDG, I finally managed to find 4 places for us on Sunday (July 10th) (AF / KLM CDG-AMS-KRK) and paid around 2,500 euros for it. And another 850 for a hotel for two days for the four of us ...

The Sunday flight went smoothly, the AMS stop was just very busy and at 00:01 on Monday we finally got home, about 56 hours past the original time.

Yesterday we filled out an expense form, also throwing in all the food, transit bills, which totaled over 3.5k euro. Today I will start writing a compensation claim which I expect to get denied on first launch as they believe flights were canceled more than 14 days earlier. But I will not give up on it, having all the transcripts of conversations where I was informed even 3 days before the flight that everything is fine and I do not have to worry about the lack of a flight on the Flightradar, Expertflyer, CDG airport, KRK airport, etc.

Below is the email I got after my last conversation with easyjet:

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting easyJet

As per our telephonic conversation, this is to confirm you that your flight from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to Krakow (KRK) on 08 July 22 was cancelled by easyJet on 20 June 22 as got the confirmation from Airport Department.

And as there were no flights available for next few days for the same routes with 4 seats. You are eligible to make your own arrangements by booking flights from any other airline and till that time whatever the hotel expenses you are paying for you can claim that too with the flight expenses for 4 of you by filling the below given expense form link; https://www.easyjet.com/en/claim/welfare
You have to fill all the relevant details with attaching the original receipts of payment in this form appropriately before submitting

It will be reviewed by one of our team and you will get the response for same by easyJet with the reimbursment considering you eligible for the same as per the details and receipts you will be attaching therein

Once again apology for the problems you have to face due to the cancellation of flights

Well, I hope you will find this information helpfulKind regards,

Last edited by zabsko; Jul 12, 2022 at 1:59 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:19 am

Ok, we're back home

Shortly after my last post, I was finally called back by an easyJet representative. By the same guy I spoke to this morning. He apologized again for the situation and advised me to book the flights myself and that I would get for this and all other expenses. He insisted my flight was canceled on July 20 which is really awkward. I was informed of the cancellation on the 17th. Then, after all conversations with easyjet, I was booked into my original flight on the 19th and my booking remained intact until the unfortunate Friday flight...
I hope you enjoyed your trip when you finally got there!

Whilst the flight may have been cancelled on 20 June (I presume you mean), they assured you on 25 June that your flight was operating, you were not subsequently notified of the cancellation until you arrived at the airport on 10 July, therefore you are entitled to EC261 compensation of €250 per passenger in addition to your out of pocket expenses.

It is the date that you are notified of the cancellation that is relevant for calculating entitlement to compensation, not the date the airline cancelled the flight.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Whilst the flight may have been cancelled on 20 June (I presume you mean), they assured you on 25 June that your flight was operating,
Oh, they have assured me once more on the July 2nd (chat with transcript) and then again on the 6th (phone call):

02/07/2022 07:15am UTC - You:

Hello, I would like to double check about my inbound flight on the 8th of July. I cannot find it on Paris Airport timetable nor Flightradar...

[...]

02/07/2022 07:18am UTC - You:

I'm also worried because I cannot check-in for my flight

02/07/2022 07:19am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

As I can check the booking your flight is as per schedule--EJU3815 08JUL22 Fr CDGKRK at 1205/1420

02/07/2022 07:20am UTC - Customer Service Advisor:

If you are unable to check in online then you can do it at the airport.

Last edited by zabsko; Jul 12, 2022 at 2:24 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:49 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Not a very prudent approach IMHO. The regulation is clear that it is for the airline to arrange the rerouting - although it has conditions that are imposed to it on the conditions under which that must be done. DIY rerouting is not a right per se, so the risk is always that the airline will say that they had solutions that they would have offered you and that you did not pick and chose to do your own instead (ie for instance they may say that they would have agreed to the flight you booked and they shouldn't pay commercial price for it when they could have used their industry agreements).
I originally paid £263.46 per passenger for return LGW-LEI-LGW flights on EasyJet. EasyJet cancelled the LGW-LEI flight leg only 4 days before departure. I booked replacement one-way LHR-MAD-LEI flights on British Airways and Air Nostrum using an Iberia booking for £545.77 per passenger. EasyJet quickly paid €400 per passenger compensation, and later reimbursed me for the £545.77 per passenger as well as the £10.70 per passenger for the Elizabeth Line to LHR. EasyJet paid all this without challenge or argument. So if EasyJet cancels your flight, you can go ahead and book on the cheapest alternative for the same day, even if this is on another carrier at considerably greater cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.