Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Almost denied boarding due to sloppiness of Special Assistance team

Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Just flew with easyJet. Background info; if unable to wear a mask, you just self-declare this via their contact form, whereby the Special Assistance team inserts an NMOK and sends a confirmation email. Then if the crew asks about a mask, I just tell them my seat number. On previous occasions it's always been super smooth.

As usual I submitted the self-declaration for both of my bookings (I had two). Let's say today's flight was booking A and the other booking B.

First I got an email confirming it had been inserted for both bookings. Feeling more paranoid than usual, I double-checked by calling Customer Service (opened at 07:00) and they said it had only been inserted for A. Then I replied to the Special Assistance team explaining this, and then got another reply that the NMOK had been done for booking B too.

On the day of departure, however, the bag drop lady couldn't see an NMOK, so turns out it wasn't in booking A. I explained I had received a confirmation email, but she nonchalantly said I wasn't flying unless I could get easyJet to fix it. The flight was at 08:00, the same time the Special Assistance team would be open on the phone. So I called the Customer Services, who went out of their way to wash their hands, but when I pressed the matter they put me on hold for 20 minutes before the call broke.

By PURE LUCK I found the dispatcher for the exact flight (in the departures hall an hour before departure), who by PURE LUCK was helpful, asked for my seat number and arranged with the crew for me to be able to fly.

My question is: since the Special Assistance team didn't do their job correctly, which caused me severe distress and nausea due to the fact that I would've been denied boarding if not for the helpful dispatcher; what amount of compensation would be reasonable to request from easyJet? Thinking of Ł200 (ticket price was Ł30), does that seem fair? If not, what do you think?

Last edited by jomala05; Jan 13, 2022 at 5:39 am
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jomala05
Just flew with easyJet. Background info; if unable to wear a mask, you just self-declare this via their contact form, whereby the Special Assistance team inserts an NMOK and sends a confirmation email. Then if the crew asks about a mask, I just tell them my seat number. On previous occasions it's always been super smooth.

As usual I submitted the self-declaration for both of my bookings (I had two). Let's say today's flight was booking A and the other booking B.

First I got an email confirming it had been inserted for both bookings. Feeling more paranoid than usual, I double-checked by calling Customer Service (opened at 07:00) and they said it had only been inserted for A. Then I replied to the Special Assistance team explaining this, and then got another reply that the NMOK had been done for booking B too.

On the day of departure, however, the bag drop lady couldn't see an NMOK, so turns out it wasn't in booking A. I explained I had received a confirmation email, but she nonchalantly said I wasn't flying unless I could get easyJet to fix it. The flight was at 08:00, the same time the Special Assistance team would be open on the phone. So I called the Customer Services, who went out of their way to wash their hands, but when I pressed the matter they put me on hold for 20 minutes before the call broke.

By PURE LUCK I found the dispatcher for the exact flight (in the departures hall an hour before departure), who by PURE LUCK was helpful, asked for my seat number and arranged with the crew for me to be able to fly.

My question is: since the Special Assistance team didn't do their job correctly, which caused me severe distress and nausea due to the fact that I would've been denied boarding if not for the helpful dispatcher; what amount of compensation would be reasonable to request from easyJet? Thinking of Ł200 (ticket price was Ł30), does that seem fair? If not, what do you think?

I’m a little lost, on what basis do believe you are entitled to compensation?

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jan 13, 2022 at 7:12 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You want Ł200 in compensation for a Ł30 ticket?
jjbiv, largeeyes and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’m a little lost, on what basis do believe you are entitled to compensation?
On the basis that I nearly missed my flight because of the Special Assistance team being sloppy about insert the NMOK for both bookings, seemingly going back and forth between one and the other. On the basis that I WOULD have missed it if I hadn't had the pure luck of spotting the Swissport dispatcher and him being helpful. Entirely easyJet's fault that I was put in that position, as I followed the correct procedure by submitting the self-declaration via the contact form once for each booking.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You want Ł200 in compensation for a Ł30 ticket?
As I said, I have no idea what's reasonable when the Special Assistance Team's incompetence caused me to feel extremely unwell until it turned out (upon boarding) that the Swissport dispatcher had sucessully coordinated things with the easyJet crew.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the most you are entitled to is an apology, which you might get if you get in touch with U2.

You are certainly not due any consequential damages for personal suffering. This really was no more than an administrative mistake, like many others.
nancypants and jjbiv like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:24 am

I don't think you will find any help/sympathy here. You might as well stop now, and save yourself some angst from reading people's replies.
largedog and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:45 pm

Mistakes sometimes happen in this big bad world. It doesn't mean compensation is due and frankly this doesn't come close to deserving any.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
If you had actually been denied boarding then there would've potentially been a conversation to be had about compensation for denied boarding. However, you weren't, so just like someone whose plane door opens two hours and fifty-nine minutes after it should have done, a miss is as good as a mile.
jjbiv and nancypants like this.

Last edited by sigma421; Jan 16, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: got a GBP 50 voucher; not too bad at all.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jomala05
UPDATE: got a GBP 50 voucher; not too bad at all.
That’s a splendid, if surprising, result. Well done! 👍🏻
jomala05 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Anyway here's a screenshot of their email as proof.
Tobias-UK and hugolover like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 18, 2022 at 4:30 am Reason: Redacted reference to deleted post
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The thread is closed since the OP has now received a flight voucher from the airline.

NewbieRunner
Forum moderator
largeeyes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.