Snow chain rental?

Old Dec 27, 08, 6:53 pm
NCL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, BA blue, Virgin flying club silver, Skywards silver, SPG Platinum, Marriott silver.
Snow chain rental?

I am picking up a Jeep from LAX in a couple of weeks and am driving to Frisco via Yosemite, having looked on the park`s website it states that Snow chains are recommended/legal requirement on some roads depending on weather conditions during the winter months. Is it possible to rent these from Dollar upon arrival into LAX, or do I need to visit a local WALMART to buy a set? any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 08, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt LAX is going to have snow chains available. Likely, the rental agent may not even know what snow chains are (I didn't when I lived in CA). Even rental locations in winter climates don't rent snow chains (no one in ANC does--I know that for sure). I think a visit to WalMart is in your future...
Old Dec 29, 08, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Walmart
Ensure the chains are fitted properly so you don't damage the car
Don't tell the rental company you are fitting chains
Old Jan 2, 09, 3:30 am
NCL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, BA blue, Virgin flying club silver, Skywards silver, SPG Platinum, Marriott silver.
Thanks for that guys!
Old Jan 8, 09, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I think it is likely that your Jeep will be a 4x4 vehicle. If so, the chain requirement may not apply to you.

Slightly off-topic, do the rental companies provide snow scrappers in the cars during the winter months in places like the Northeast?
Old Jan 8, 09, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
While the vehicle may be 4X4 that doesn't mean you can get away with chains at times.

In California if there is alot of snow the requirement is "4WD WITH SNOW TYRES"

However, looking at the weather charts you aren't going to get any snow in California until the end of January so I wouldnt be too worried
Old Jan 8, 09, 8:17 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
Slightly off-topic, do the rental companies provide snow scrappers in the cars during the winter months in places like the Northeast?
ANC does.

Don't recall getting one in BOS in January a couple years ago.

That's the extent of my experience.
Old Jan 9, 09, 7:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
I think it is likely that your Jeep will be a 4x4 vehicle. If so, the chain requirement may not apply to you.

M+S rated tires are required as well as 4WD (and they check the sidewall marking when conditions are this bad). But most Jeeps have M+S tires in CA as they are useful in mud as well as snow.

Snow brushes are standard from Budget and Avis in the NE US; probably all the majors supply them. Often a brand new brush (they must go through a lot of them). There can also be a little plastic ice scraper in the glove compartment (credit card size), useful for frost but nothing else.

The big problem with chains is that some rental contracts specifically prohibit use of chains, and specify that any damage is not covered by LDW etc. Sliding off the road can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Better check that your own insurance covers you prior to renting a car in those conditions.
Old Jan 13, 09, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
My Alamo rental in BUF last weekend had a snow brush sitting on the passenger seat.

I originally had reserved a $40 SUV from Dollar but went with a mid-size from Alamo for $10/day. Cheap is good.
Old Jan 18, 09, 8:19 pm
KC*

Originally Posted by NCL View Post
I am picking up a Jeep from LAX in a couple of weeks and am driving to Frisco via Yosemite, having looked on the park`s website it states that Snow chains are recommended/legal requirement on some roads depending on weather conditions during the winter months. Is it possible to rent these from Dollar upon arrival into LAX, or do I need to visit a local WALMART to buy a set? any advice would be appreciated.
NCL, How was your trip to Yosemite?

Did you manage to pick up your snow chains?

I'm renting a Grand Cherokee (or something equivalent) from SFO, heading down to Carmel and then across to Yosemite early March, and the chain requirement is still in place. Wonder if there is a Walmart or other place in Mariposa to pick up a set.
Old Feb 1, 09, 7:55 am

Talking HiYa AndDee

I'm guessin yer the fella from the Mammoth forum as well?

GOOD onya w yer right on info --

Search this Thread