Anyone rent the StreetPilot c330 GPS from Dollar?

Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Anyone rent the StreetPilot c330 GPS from Dollar?

First Dollar rental in a couple of days (been using Hertz Gold for my Vegas trips).

I see that Dollar has a c330 GPS for rent with the car - of course, you'll need to go inside to get it (which would probably defeat the whole FastLane benefit).

I do have a GPS (Garmin iQue 3600) that I may bring along... but, obviously, wouldn't mind leaving it at home (one less thing that could break).

Anyone rent the c330? Like it... dis-like it... either with the unit itself or with Dollar?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Smile

I haven't needed it yet. I'm a man with a map and a sense of adventure!

Properties Guy
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:54 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I own one. I have a nice small pelican case I put it in and put it in my luggage...... Easy to use and great for driving in unfamiliar places.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I rented one in LAX in January. Loved it.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'll be renting a GPS unit from CLT Thrifty in a couple of weeks. I'll report on it if I remember. Looking forward to trying one out--I've actually never had a chance to use a GPS unit before!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:05 pm

I rented one at EWR in aug 07. This was m y first time driving in the US. Can't imagine what it would have been like without it.. $11.99 per day. Money well spent!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Just returned my car to CLT a few days ago. I got the Garmin Street Pilot C330, although they also carry the Garmin Nüvi (but were out when I got there).

As a first-time GPS user, I have to say I was blown away with how fun, easy and helpful GPS units were. However, I do have to say that the C330 was pretty basic. It was easy to use, but it was lacking a lot of the more advanced functionality that I've read about, and the options are pretty limited. (One feature I really wanted was real-time data export so that Google Earth on my laptop, which I kept next to me on the passenger's seat, could follow along, but the C330 does not support the NMEA or Garmin PVT export protocols.)

The database was a bit on the older side--some newer restaurants and/or relocated stores were not found in searches--but for the most part, it got me every place I needed to go.

Regardless, it was definitely worth the $11.99 per day for my short three-day rental (over the course of which I drove about a thousand miles)! (If I rented cars or drove in unfamiliar locales more often, I might consider buying one, but for now, renting one works great.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.