Dollar Las Vegas

Old Jul 13, 2004, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BD*S, HH-Gold
Dollar Las Vegas

am thinking of renting a suv in vegas for a couple of days to drive down to the grand canyon, is there normally a problem getting a suv when u arrive?

how far is the dollar lot from the airport and how long will it take me to drive to grand canyon south rim?

many thanks in advance for your help

BBJ
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I too am thinking of renting from Dollar in LAS and advice on the service and cars in LAS would be helpful.

Thanks!
Rachel
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriott
Originally Posted by prncess674
I too am thinking of renting from Dollar in LAS and advice on the service and cars in LAS would be helpful.

Thanks!
Rachel
The cars are fine, but the service is horrendous.

I've rented from dollar before at numerous locations, but this one is by far the worst.
I joined Fastlane so i wouldn't have to wait in line. When i arrived via the shuttle there was a long line for the non-fastlane members. I walked into the Fastlane line, there was 2 people in front of me at the counter, don't know if they were fastlane or not, they seemed to not know whether they wanted to rent a car or not and took about 15 minutes before they left without a car. When i approached the counter with my fastlane card, i was told to go out to the lot & the attendant would find me a minivan, which i did. I walked around the lot with my luggage, spouse and 3 hot children looking for an attendant. None were found. Finally a shuttle driver stopped to help me. He jumped out and ran back into the area where they service the cars and found someone. He came out & told me it would be a few minutes and one would be out.
After about 5-10 more minutes a young kid came screetching out of the car wash area with a van & pulled up to where i was. We returned the vehicle at 4:30 AM as we had an early flight...i was expecting the same run-around, but the return was quick & easy. I would suspect that would not be the case during the day when they are busier.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 6:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Angry Renting

My last trip to Vegas included the usual rental through Dollar. The counter in the airport was closed, (it looked like permanently) so I took the shuttle to the Dollar building. It's about a five minute shuttle ride. Once there, it took over 30 minutes to get my car. I am a Fast Lane member, but did not use Fast Lane when I booked the car on their website because the cost was HIGHER.

The return was a joke. There were almost no Dollar employees that day & we sat in thew middle of the road, waiting to turn into the Dollar lot for about ten minutes. We finally jammed into a slot in the lot that was not really for parking, just to get out of the road.

Dollar has good days & bad. This was bad...very bad!!!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
Positive experiences at Dollar-LAS

I have always had good experiences at Dollar-LAS. The shuttles are quick and they are located a few minutes from the terminal close to the other majors, certainly more convenient than the new Alamo-National lot.

I would definitely recommend joining FastLane. The shuttle driver asks whether you have a FastLane reservation when you board the bus. You then get dropped off in their lot and the driver has always said "Choose any car from row __"

Contrary to other experiences, on average it has never been more than 15-20 minutes from boarding the shuttle at McCarran to leaving the lot in car. Returns have also been hassle free.

Is it Hertz Gold or National Emerald Aisle type service, no. However, their rates in Las Vegas usually beat everyone else by big $$$$$$.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Dollar LAS

True, Dollar usually has the best prices in town and, until this past year, they have had good service. I hope this last trip was not normal, but it shows how bad things can get sometimes.

I still don't understand why the Fast Lane price was higher than an anonymous rental though.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: DL, US, AA, MR
Anyone rent this location recently?

In process of booking rental at LAS for March - Have the issues raised in this thread improved?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:06 am

LAS is an armpit of an airport. Dollar's service there is worst than most Dollar locations, but everything at McCarran is worse than comparable services elsewhere. Old, overcrowded, and poorly laid out.

I suppose my point is that no matter which rental company you choose, you will probably deal with a long line full of morons and minimally helpful service. It's a function of being in LAS.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:22 pm

Wait until next year when they force all the car rental companies into 1 area, and plan on running airport supplied shuttles that will stop at all the rental companies. The car lots will not be able to have their own shuttles. This will not be a pretty sight when the temp hits 100+. I'd bet the drivers will not be helping with the luggage also.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Dollar in Vegas

I just rented in Vegas 2 weeks ago, Dollar is great in vegas they take care you and get you in and out very very fast.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Some days are better than others at the LAS Dollar location. Use Fastlane to get our car and almost always drop it off at one of the hotel locations and avoid the hassle of the crazy return area.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I rent there every month. Service is variable, sometimes great, sometimes not. The cost difference vs. HERTZ, however, is generally worth the gamble. Frequently, when they are screwed up you can get a free upgrade. Unless you are really going to be in a rush (in which case, use HERTZ), plan 10-15 extra minutes and go with DOLLAR. Be a FAST LANE member. It doesn't guarantee perfect service, but it tends to be a little better. Its free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.