FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting-422/)
-   -   Dollar & Credit Card Holds at LAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting/1580355-dollar-credit-card-holds-las.html)

StuartUK May 27, 2014 12:03 am

Dollar & Credit Card Holds at LAS

I am well and truly hacked off, and will never use Dollar again after this...

Pre-paid for a 1 week rental with Dollar at LAS for a fullsize..
I am a DE member and have been for years..
Pre-paid booking via a UK broker includes LDW/LIS / pre-paid fuel, Xtra driver, etc etc etc...
All previous rentals have done either $1 AUTH or $0 AUTH.....

Picked up car today, I get hit with a $350 AUTH! ...!!
Full rental cost was £151 ($225) and was prepaid back in March with the booking linked to my DE...

Didn't notice the AUTH until after I left, so went back to the garage and the guy says all Dollar rentals now get a $350 auth, regardless if you have LDW/LIS/Fuel, etc etc....
I said I cant see how Dollar can justify a high AUTH amount given my balance is $0.00 and you cant bill for me anything else, etc etc...

This sucks, and super sucks for me cos of hotels not cancelling off there auths, I have over $1158 in auths on my card at the moment for the past 7 days :(

oh and had a fullsize, but gave the lot attendant guy $10 and told him I want the Lacrosse, he said the booth agent said I could take the Maxima that wasn't there..... So there parking cars in stalls and reporting to the booth the wrong car to wrong stalls.....
I got the Lacrosse anyway, nice car, LDAR, so guess that's Luxury... not a bad free upgrade..
Just to note, most of the cars in the garage are battered, high mileage (lacrosse is 45k miles), scrapes and bumps galore on lots of there cars!

Auto Enthusiast May 27, 2014 9:45 am

This sounds like 2 of Hertz's policies that are being introduced to Dollar/Thrifty after the acquisition. Hertz typically has high credit card authorizations. It is now dumping its old, high mileage vehicles onto the leisure, price sensitive customers that typically rent from these discounters.

Mrp Alert Jun 17, 2014 9:36 am

Dollar & Credit Card Holds at LAS

Apparently VISA cards are only subject to a 15% hold. All other cards are $350.

StuartUK Jun 18, 2014 5:59 am

It took 21 days for the $350 to leave my card... (mastercard)
As said at the start, I couldn't see the point of such a large hold on my card given I had pre-paid for everything, fuel, ldw/lis, etc etc etc....
Doesn't serve a purpose to hold that amount for fully prepaid!

Alamo got it right, they do $1 AUTH on fully pre-paid rentals, regardless of card used.

langham123 Jun 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by StuartUK (Post 23053710)
It took 21 days for the $350 to leave my card... (mastercard)
As said at the start, I couldn't see the point of such a large hold on my card given I had pre-paid for everything, fuel, ldw/lis, etc etc etc....
Doesn't serve a purpose to hold that amount for fully prepaid!

Alamo got it right, they do $1 AUTH on fully pre-paid rentals, regardless of card used.

We just rented from LAS and are DE members, tho we never show up on the board as we are from the UK and only MCO and MIA can cope with international DE's.

Are you saying that despite pre-paying 2 separate rentals (LAS 12 days) and RSW 12 days, Dollar will take an extra $700 from our CC? Why? Like you we had the full deal from the UK CDW, fuel, extra driver. On both occasions we got to choose our car from the garage, tho the staff were a bit disgruntled. We've not had a problem before and no one has mentioned this 'holding fee'?

As we were in Utah, the car was very dusty and we even washed it before returning it to the rental co.

Mrp Alert Jul 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Use a Visa card and you will not have this problem. Use maestro, mc, or Amex and you will suffer the extra hold normally they fall off in a few days, but it can take several weeks in extreme circumstances.