First Time Dollar Renter - Need some advice, please

Old Mar 3, 14, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
First Time Dollar Renter - Need some advice, please

I'm in need of a mid-size SUV in Denver for a 10 day period in May. I usually rent from Hertz. In checking rates, this rental with Hertz was $2560. I priced out National ($2838.14) and Avis ($2848). Yikes! That's more than all other parts of the trip combined.

I decided to check Dollar. Total rental cost is $482.38. That's good news. I then came to this forum to learn more about Dollar - and it seems like there are many reports of less-than-good experiences. Are all Dollar rentals as bad as they seem? Or, as with many sites, are we just seeing the less-than-good experiences posted?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 14, 11:51 am

You might be willing to put up with a lot of the price is right.
Old Mar 7, 14, 12:19 am

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
I'm in need of a mid-size SUV in Denver for a 10 day period in May. I usually rent from Hertz. In checking rates, this rental with Hertz was $2560. I priced out National ($2838.14) and Avis ($2848). Yikes! That's more than all other parts of the trip combined.

I decided to check Dollar. Total rental cost is $482.38. That's good news. I then came to this forum to learn more about Dollar - and it seems like there are many reports of less-than-good experiences. Are all Dollar rentals as bad as they seem? Or, as with many sites, are we just seeing the less-than-good experiences posted?

Thanks.
Did you try any coupon codes for Hertz/Avis/National? That might help lower the rental. I am rather surprised by how expensive 10 days is for that time...
Old Mar 11, 14, 10:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I'm a longtime Dollar customer and have been treated very well by them. No complaints here.

The price discrepancy here is enormous! Just for fun, I tried looking for a SUV at Denver for a random 10-day period in May, and found numbers similar to yours, except for Avis which was around $1600. Perhaps, though, a Dollar SUV is a "smaller" vehicle, like a Ford Escape, and a Hertz SUV is a bigger one, like an Explorer? That might explain the price discrepancy.

In other words, the numbers look legit. I'd take the Dollar price!
Old Mar 17, 14, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Dollar isn't the greatest but I rent from them regularly and rarely run into any real problems. Their cars may not be as nice and the experience may be a little low cost feeling but for the kind of cash you're going to save I think they'll be just fine.
Old Mar 20, 14, 8:53 pm

Where in the world are you getting those numbers? Doing a quick search, National has a Standard SUV, random 10 day period in mid-May, using the $30 off Entertainment Book coupon and U of M contract ID for $618.14 all in.

For the price you're seeing I'm looking at a PREMIUM SUV for $1,322.22.

And digging a little deeper, using just a standard Emerald Club contract ID, a premium SUV is just a tad less, around $1,200.

I am not condoning using a false contract ID by any means, it's clearly stated on the forum to use at your own risk, but if you sign up for the (free) emerald club, you probably won't have an issue. I just returned from vacation and used both an entertainment book coupon and the U of M contract ID and got a premium car for $44/day.

Search this Thread