Full-Size SUV in Newark? (EWR) Any Experiences/Sightings?

Old Mar 10, 13, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Full-Size SUV in Newark? (EWR) Any Experiences/Sightings?

Was thinking about renting a Tahoe in EWR, or something similar that has a sufficient amount of cargo capacity.

I guess that the Yukon would work better, as it has a longer wheelbase and a longer storage area in the back, if we have passengers in the second row.

Has anyone seen what kind of SUVs Dollar has at EWR?

I'm thinking of giving them a call as well...

TIA.
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Was thinking about renting a Tahoe in EWR, or something similar that has a sufficient amount of cargo capacity.

I guess that the Yukon would work better, as it has a longer wheelbase and a longer storage area in the back, if we have passengers in the second row.

Has anyone seen what kind of SUVs Dollar has at EWR?

I'm thinking of giving them a call as well...

TIA.
Probably best to give them a call.

FWIW the Tahoe and Yukon are identical except for the Chevrolet and GMC badges (respectively) -- same length, same wheelbase. You're probably thinking of the GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Suburban, which is the extended wheelbase version of the Yukon/Tahoe.

How many people will you be? The Yukon XL/Suburban (and even the Yukon/Tahoe) are very large vehicles. Garages in NYC will charge you extra to park them, and parking on the street will be difficult except in residential neighborhoods.

-J.
Old Mar 16, 13, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
Probably best to give them a call.
Just did that and got the following information (from the Philipino? (based on accent) call center):

Class H = Standard SUV = Grand Cherokee Laredo.

(She couldn't give me a class) = Full Size SUV = Ford Explorer.

(She couldn't give me a class) = Premium SUV = Chevy Tahoe / Aspen.

I would be happy with a Grand Cherokee (I actually *prefer* a Cherokee), except we have a lot of suitcases.

I guess we'll have to split up and take a taxi and load up the SUV with the suitcases...

Not sure whether to go with Dollar or with Hertz (Chevy Traverse 4WD).

Got the Hertz rental cheaper, which I can cancel, but I would have to prepay with with Dollar...

Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
FWIW the Tahoe and Yukon are identical except for the Chevrolet and GMC badges (respectively) -- same length, same wheelbase. You're probably thinking of the GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Suburban, which is the extended wheelbase version of the Yukon/Tahoe.

How many people will you be? The Yukon XL/Suburban (and even the Yukon/Tahoe) are very large vehicles. Garages in NYC will charge you extra to park them, and parking on the street will be difficult except in residential neighborhoods.-J.
Understood - the Tahoe is a monster to navigate, but we'd be in Jersey only, so not a big problem for the size of a vehicle.
Old Nov 28, 13, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Just bumping my thread to see if anyone has seen/rented any Jeep Grand Cherokees at EWR recently, as I need to choose between Hertz and Dollar.

I actually have a Ford Explorer cheaper than a prepaid rate for Dollar's JGC, but I prefer driving the Jeep.
Old Nov 28, 13, 10:16 pm

You didn't answer the question "How many people will you be?"

By the way The Explorer & The Traverse are about the same size... And i would book the Explorer, If there is a geep they shouldn't have a problem downgrading you!
Old Nov 28, 13, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fyaric View Post
You didn't answer the question "How many people will you be?"
On this trip, just 1.

Originally Posted by fyaric View Post
By the way The Explorer & The Traverse are about the same size... And i would book the Explorer, If there is a geep they shouldn't have a problem downgrading you!
Right.

However, the Explorer is available through Hertz for a lower quote, versus a (higher) prepaid Dollar rate for the Jeep GC.

I guess I should just take the Explorer through Hertz and try for a Jeep next time...

Search this Thread