Can I see your gas receipt?

Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

I've had nothing but great experiences with Dollar Thrifty
Great cars properly labeled compact mid size etc. Can't say the same for Alamo enterprise etc trying to pass off Mazda 2 ( fiesta clone) as a compact or midsize car.
The Mazda 2 is TINY
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:57 pm

New Extreme at PSP Dollar

So I drop off my car yesterday at PSP after an 11-day rental.
No one outside to check me in so I go inside to the counter. I produce the receipt from the night before and am told "No good. Has to be today" I explain I did not drive except to my place in PSP and then to the airport that day. The receipt is from the Von's on Highway 111 at Gene Autry well within 10 miles and was well within 24 hours of drop-off. My place is between Von's and the airport in the Indian Canyons neighbourhood.

Clause 7 of the Rental Jacket coincides with the stapled strip of paper advising to produce a receipt within 10 miles with no mention of date.

Get charged $9.92 for a gallon.

I have rented from Dollar/Thrifty maybe 25 times in the last 5 years in PSP.

Enough of the 'scam' for me.

I will phone and then write my letter copied to the PSP Airport, the Palm Springs Better Business Bureau, the Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Palm Springs Tourist Bureau of Tourism if I do not get a refund.

I will then contact my attorney friend in Palm Desert and chat about a class action.

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Aug 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:24 am

Interesting. I thought it was only a matter of time before rental companies thought of pulling this.

I do a lot of leisure roadtrips, and one thing I learned from experience is that it's usually more time efficient to refuel in the evening than in the morning. It's easier to do it when I'm tired and going to the hotel, than risking taking away time in the morning when I'm more likely to be rushing somewhere. But the one exception was refueling right before the car return time, exactly because I feared the rental company might ask for a gas receipt that is recent in terms of both distance and time.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by Tony10s
I've had nothing but great experiences with Dollar Thrifty
Great cars properly labeled compact mid size etc. Can't say the same for Alamo enterprise etc trying to pass off Mazda 2 ( fiesta clone) as a compact or midsize car.
The Mazda 2 is TINY
Great! Glad you like Dollar and Thrifty because they label their cars in a way you like .... but what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

I suspect if you had any of the experiences detailed here you might have a much different opinion of Dollar/Thrifty. For most people, the experiences posted here show this Dollar "gas receipt" policy to be a well documented "scam". For others, like me, it just something to be sure to do "their way" (have a gas receipt within 10 miles and a very short time before returning the car). I appreciate the info posted here so I know I need to be extra careful with this when I rent from Dollar (and Thrifty too).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
So I drop off my car yesterday at PSP after an 11-day rental.
No one outside to check me in so I go inside to the counter. I produce the receipt from the night before and am told "No good. Has to be today" I explain I did not drive except to my place in PSP and then to the airport that day. The receipt is from the Von's on Highway 111 at Gene Autry well within 10 miles and was well within 24 hours of drop-off. My place is between Von's and the airport in the Indian Canyons neighbourhood.

Clause 7 of the Rental Jacket coincides with the stapled strip of paper advising to produce a receipt within 10 miles with no mention of date.

Get charged $9.92 for a gallon.

I have rented from Dollar/Thrifty maybe 25 times in the last 5 years in PSP.

Enough of the 'scam' for me.

I will phone and then write my letter copied to the PSP Airport, the Palm Springs Better Business Bureau, the Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Palm Springs Tourist Bureau of Tourism if I do not get a refund.

I will then contact my attorney friend in Palm Desert and chat about a class action.
Just got off the phone with corporate Dollar Customer Service (the 866- number on the receipt) and am told that they are sending me 2 $10 vouchers good for 1 year. The fellow tried to explain their rationale but I told him to cut to the chase as nowhere in the contract does it have a 'same-day' requirement.

I stressed that there was no lot attendant and that the receipt I produced was within 10 miles and 24 hours. I also mentioned I was an attorney.

Watch for an amendment to the policy.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I never have these issues with Hertz
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:47 pm

Angry Charged $45.90 until I could prove top-off w/receipt at Hertz

Thank goodness I checked my credit card bill after a trip last month - Hertz in DLH charged me $45.90 after I dropped off the keys IN PERSON and left the counter w/no request to prove I had filled the tank. I had to fax or email proof that I topped off the vehicle to get this refunded. Gas gauge was FULL. Total to top off tank: $2.80. What if I had paid cash and didn't get a receipt in a town that is now 1200 miles from where I live? So glad I used my card! Unbelievable practice and they were my favorite company to rent from. Travelers/renters be warned!!!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You know I've been quick to defend the gas receipt requirement as I think it makes sense, however, there's no way I'd stand for the "has to be the same day" line. I'm not sacrificing extra sleep to get up and find a gas station that may not be open really early before going back to the airport and I'm glad PunishedEdmontonian fought and won.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
They tell you upfront about the gas receipt
It's really not that hard to do.
I'm returning a car today (avis) and they are now requiring the dreaded gas receipt.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:57 am

Having the gas receipt is not the problem. Requiring a receipt from that day, and not disclosing it, is.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:57 pm

Update
Counter at Avis said they require gas receipt
No mention of same day requirement
I return car Friday Am at SMF
Have receipt in Hand
From the Arco AmPm,on premises filled 5 mins before returning
Return guy doesn't ask for receipt
I ask him if he needs it
He says HE does not need it.
I still had if from same day fill up
I even took a pic of it on my iPhone .... Just in case
Good Day every one!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
My method these days is to use phone to take a picture of dashboard, showing full tank and miles and then another picture of gas receipt. This then gives me all the proof I need to argue, if I have to.
Same policy, if I discover 2 miles down the road, after pickup, that my gas tank is not full - picture of dash - showing mileage and fuel gauge. Its a very strong argument.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lhiltz
My method these days is to use phone to take a picture of dashboard, showing full tank and miles and then another picture of gas receipt. This then gives me all the proof I need to argue, if I have to.
Same policy, if I discover 2 miles down the road, after pickup, that my gas tank is not full - picture of dash - showing mileage and fuel gauge. Its a very strong argument.
I do that, too.

Also, I picked up a Hertz car at BUR the other day and the needle was right on the F. I filled it up the next day and it took four gallons for my 50 miles of driving, and the needle shot to way over F.

I really wish Hertz would have enforced a gas-receipt requirement on the guy before me.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:47 am

Annoying Dollar experience yesterday in CLE.

First off, you have to take a shuttle from the airport to the car rental center, then take a second shuttle to an offsite, offsite location

Second, the car had over 46,000 miles on it!

Third, when returning, I filled up about 5 miles away from airport, just before returning. I had driven well over 100 miles (so the needle obviously had moved). Upon returning, the agent insisted I provide a gas receipt, and stood there until I could find it. She then scrutinized it with a fine tooth comb.

Felt like a very "cheap" experience.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
The agent at ABQ did not ask for a receipt when I turned in my car in yesterday. Shall see what happens in LAS Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.